X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    Hi Mike
    You missed the ghost on the right of the 1899 Middlesex Street photo!
    You can almost here him saying, "I am Ja....
    Attached Files
    Regards Mike

Comment

• Really weird

I looked at the Skyscrapercity site that Martian mentioned and found a picture of the Croydon Tax Office which provides a really weird optical effect when you scroll up and down. I copied it to post here but the effect didn't work.

Check it out here. It's post#100 at the bottom of the page.

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Martian2 View Post
        I posted the old pic on skyscrapercity.com (in a thread called "Lost London")
        Click here to link to the thread concerned. It's well worth seeing. The C*ck and Magpie, featured in the first post, would seem to be different to the one we discussed in the Stephenson Related Pictures thread.

Thanks to Martian for his endeavours.

Mark

Comment

• Very well done Martian!
          I always like to see loose ends tied up and errors corrected
          In case anyone is wondering about the origin of the claim that this was a London street, I was the one who posted it under the description "A Spitalfields Street"
          The origin of this was the public Member Photos section of ancestry.co.uk
          Very glad to have the record set straight and well done:-)
          Chris

Comment

• Chris - as it's Newcastle, maybe the poster meant to write 'a spit-filled street'.

What? Wha-aat?

PHILIP

PS : Whatever happened to that limited edition book?
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Martian2 View Post
              About that street some pages back. It´s in Newcastle.

Is this what they call the Shambles? I've seen postcards of the the Shambles and have been so tempted to buy them. This looks a look like those. Nice pix, Martian2.

Regards,

Cel
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Paddy, Nice pictures, as usual. Thanks.

You, too, Sam. I like that one.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                  Is this what they call the Shambles?
                  The Shambles is in York, Cel, but you're right - this remnant of Old Newcastle has a similar feel to it.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hi Philip
                    The book is still on the blocks - these things always take longer than you think they are going to!
                    It is all proof read and we are finalising the illustrations and artwork at the moment and I will post on the thread I started for it as soon as it is available
                    Regards
                    Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      The Shambles is in York, Cel, but you're right - this remnant of Old Newcastle has a similar feel to it.
                      Thanks, Sam. I'll look for cards from both areas. Love the ramshackle look!

Comment

• My kudos too to Martian2. Glad you liked the pics, folks -- Paddy
                        Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                        Is this what they call the Shambles?
                        A carbon print of Old Houses in Aldgate. In the 1870s and 80s, Henry Dixon was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to record historic buildings threatened with demolition. These old houses in Aldgate – known as the ‘Shambles’ – were demolished in 1880 to make way for the Metropolitan Railway’s extension from Aldgate to Tower Hill. The photograph was first published in 1883.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	aldgate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	654632

Comment

• "Bicycle School" --- I love it!

Comment

• Paddy - I have a copy of this shot in the book A COCKNEY CAMERA (1975) but your copy is so much sharper.

Celesta - I go to York on holiday once or twice a year and have done for over a decade now. I've got masses of postcards of The Shambles. Are you coming to Knoxville? I could bring some with me. Or I could just post you some. It is as wonderful as it looks and is full of very quaint old shops, even housing a shrine to the Catholic martyr Margaret Clitheroe although it's now known that her house was on the other side of the street and a few doors away!

PHILIP
                            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I have friends in York and we visit all the time, no trip is complete without a walk along the Shambles! At night it's fantastic and although usually busy it is pretty atmospheric.

I love these old buildings were the next floor up expands over the previous floor so by the time you are at the highest level your several feet over the street! Must have been pretty claustrophobic, worse if you don't get on with the people who live opposite!

I have a couple of locations in York due for investigation earlier next year!!
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post

A carbon print of Old Houses in Aldgate. In the 1870s and 80s, Henry Dixon was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to record historic buildings threatened with demolition. These old houses in Aldgate – known as the ‘Shambles’ – were demolished in 1880 to make way for the Metropolitan Railway’s extension from Aldgate to Tower Hill. The photograph was first published in 1883.

Hi Paddy,

My great grandfather and his brother, Alfred and John Bool, were also photographers
                                who worked with Henry Dixon on that commission. Their work included various shots
                                of the Oxford Arms and the Poors' Churchyard, including these two:

Name:	Oxford Arms.JPG
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	654634

Name:	The Poors Churchyard Cloth Fair.JPG
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	654635

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X