Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a couple of interesting ones I found recently of Flower and Dean Street, 1973. Both are looking west towards Commercial Street.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FlowerandDean1973.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	654266

Name:	FlowerandDeanStreet1973.jpg
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	654267

Comment

• Here's another couple from the days of bad trousers, clackers and David Cassidy - Petticoat Lane in 1971. In glorious colour!

Name:	Petticoat1971.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	654270

Name:	PetticoatLane1971.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	654271

Comment

• Hi John,

Those bldgs in post 499 don't date to Ripper time, do they? In 1973, they looked to be in good shape.

Best,

Celesta
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
          Hi John,

Those bldgs in post 499 don't date to Ripper time, do they? In 1973, they looked to be in good shape.

Best,

Celesta
          Hi Celesta

In the first photo we see Rothschild Buildings on the left. They were built in 1886/7 so were indeed around in the Ripper's time.

The buildings on the right are Nathaniel Dwellings which weren't built until 1892.

As for their condition in 1973? Apparently they were condemned as slums in the late 1960s. Jerry White visited them in 1971 and was aghast at how awful and oppressive they looked. However people were still living in them in 1973, which was the year they began demolition. In fact, several elderly folk refused to move out, even though parts of the buildings had already been torn down!

JB

Comment

• Thanks, John. I see. They don't look so bad in the photos, do they? Would have been spanking new in JTR's day.

Thanks.

C
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• This photo is of writer Emanuel Litvinoff, taken in 1972. This looks very much like the eastern end of Flower and Dean Street (with the former 'White House' on the left).

Name:	Litvinoff.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	654274

JB

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	7-6-08   1.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	654277
                Cropped Version of Photograph Posted by John Bennett
                Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields, 1973

Name:	7-6-08   2.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	654278
                Similar View
                Flower & Dean Street, Christ Church Spitalfields, February 2007

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654279

Comment

• Was that just before the locals threatened you, Colin?

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• It looks like at least three of the old buildings were salvaged, if I'm looking at this correctly. Part of the Rothschild ones and part of the Nathaniel ones on the right side of the street. So at least some of this block managed to survive?

Good pictures, John and Colin. Thank you.

Comment

• Re: the two pics of Hanbury Street back in post #207

They look like they both show the entrance to Barber's Yard, to me. In the upper photo, compare the lettering on number 37 to the photo below -- they both look like the same shop. Compare also the two panels that would be by the door in the lower photo ("Ladies & Gents Fashion Footwear" and "FURRIER") to the area in the upper pic just next to the person's shoulder. It's not like I'd ever have been there, but I'm certain they are the same buildings, just from different angles.

(oh, and can someone send the little pinto pony from the pub over? He's even my favorite pattern. I had one that small once -- diff color tho. Had a larger one that was a white-grey, and he could drink Pepsi from the bottle, if you were willing to hold the bottle. Also drank tea from a thermos. He was a spoiled old thing, but he was such fun... )

Does anyone have photos of the police stations in Commercial St and Leman St, as they would have looked in 1888?
                      ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

• I love the Then and Now pictures Colin, what is the large metal thing between you and the street?

I am assuming you were not in a cage during taking the pictures?
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• If I may....

Mike,

Its one of those caged footy pitches mate.

The bog standard, inner city, where you meet yer dealer (alledgedly) sports arenas.

Colin did well to get such a steady shot. Usually one is being pelted or shot at with an air rifle and have to dodge, jump, run, hide.....whichever.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                            I love the Then and Now pictures Colin, what is the large metal thing between you and the street?
                            ...didn't you know? Flower & Dean Street was converted into a giant bakery in 1903, and that grille was part of the original waffle mould, which was sadly demolished earlier this year. Frying-pan Alley, whose entire length was used to cook the bacon for the super-sized waffles, suffered a similar fate towards the end of the 20th Century, and is now a shadow of its former self. Happily, both Heneage and Chicksand Street, which supplied the eggs, are still standing - although they've had to be widened following Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's campaign for ethical farming.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanada View Post
                              They look like they both show the entrance to Barber's Yard, to me. In the upper photo, compare the lettering on number 37 to the photo below -- they both look like the same shop. Compare also the two panels that would be by the door in the lower photo ("Ladies & Gents Fashion Footwear" and "FURRIER") to the area in the upper pic just next to the person's shoulder. It's not like I'd ever have been there, but I'm certain they are the same buildings, just from different angles.
                              Hi Khanada,

yes you're right, they show the same row of buildings and that IS the entrance to Barber's Yard.

JB

PS. By the way, we are talking about the Hanbury Street photos from way back, the ones which were screenshots from the Spitalfields Trust DVD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                Mike,

Its one of those caged footy pitches mate.

The bog standard, inner city, where you meet yer dealer (alledgedly) sports arenas.

Colin did well to get such a steady shot. Usually one is being pelted or shot at with an air rifle and have to dodge, jump, run, hide.....whichever.

Monty

As bad as that Monty?

Seriously, what's it like walking around the the East-End today? I'm planning a visit in the near future, my first since the early seventies

all the best

Observer

Comment

Working...
                                X