This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this old wall that sits behind the old Whitechapel workhouse infirmary site to the east of Valence rd ( Bakers row ) , is the same one that was part of the original structure in 1888 ??? cheers .
    Certainly looks old enough

Comment

• Certainly looks old enough
      Hello Warspite , Yes I have arrived at the same conclusion , the wall runs along the same footprint as the old workhouse site maps , with a couple of more recent brick ups scattered here and there .. I'm guessing rear entrance fill in . The photo is taken from what would have been an inside the workhouse grounds perspective .

cheers

moonbegger

Comment

• Winfield Street

Hi there,

I am trying to find Winfield Street, Spitalfields. I have seen a couple of references to it on the Old Bailey Online website, but can't seem to place it on any modern or Victorian map. Can anyone help?

Regards,

MrB

Comment

• Hi MrBarnett,

Maybe it was the Wentworth Street or at least a part of it, and on the corner (Old) Castle Street / Wentworth Street, not far from George Street and George Yard. Part of Wentworth Street between Commercial Street and Brick Lane?

Have a look here:

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

“he stooped and wrapped something up, and after he had wrapped it up, he ran into Whitechapel, into Castle-alley. When he got up Castle-alley, he ran until he got into Castle-street. He ran to the top of Castle-street, and got into some house in Castle-street, on the right hand side; then when I came up to the house it was Mr. John Price 's, the pawnbroker. I turned round on my left hand into Winfield-street;”

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17610401-33&div=t17610401-33&terms=Winfield|Street#highlight

“At one Ellis's, in Winfield-street, near George-yard

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17911026-16&div=t17911026-16&terms=Winfield|Street|George|Street#highlight

“Coming down Winfield-street , the 25th of this month, about twelve on Saturday night, this girl took my hat off, and put it on her head; I asked her for it, she run away, she run into her lodgings in George-street, Spitalfields;”

The street was so named after Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Cleveland who owned much land in the area in the 1630s and 1640s, although early maps call it 'Wentford Street'[2] and 'Winford Street'[3], probably both unintentional errors.

“DORANT, William Worked circa. 1800-1826 Spitalfields, London UK. Established at 63 Winfield Street, Brick Lane. Undistinguished work. [Meredith-Morris]”

Best regards.

Comment

• Hi S.Brett,

Many thanks, you're a gent.

I should have read the first OB example a little more carefully. It's pretty clear from that that we are talking about Wentworth Street. I did suspect Wentworth Street, but couldn't find it being called Winfield on any map.

FYI, the question arises from an address given in Christ Church Spitalfields birth register. I suspect the people involved to have been living in Angel Alley at the time. Perhaps too grotty and sordid to admit to, so they chose the nearest half-decent street. Or just like the example of the violin man above, they considered their address to be Angel Alley, Winfield Street ( i.e. the northern end ).

Thanks again.

MrB

Comment

• Ripper Street

Can anyone throw any light on these chaps from the begining of Ripper Street?

Pat
              Attached Files

Comment

• And This East-End street from an old book I found?

Cant read the street name. Its the Sally Army I believe....Pat
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks to all for these wonderful photos, drawings, and posts! I've just spent three snowy indoor days reading every one!

Comment

• Has anyone come across a photograph that takes in the corner of Sander Street and Back Church Lane by any chance ? I have seen the one on the "St George in the East" site but the corner I want is just out of sight. It may be that a shot from the Commercial Road looking down Back Church Lane might get it, but not the current view, Sander Street disappeared in about 1960.
                    Thanks
                    Setve

Comment

• Rusteze:

I don't know if this is what you want but it is a photo of a Sander Street as it was being demolished.

This website is for sale! argentaimages.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, argentaimages.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Scroll down to the last row of images, Sander is in the middle. There is also another photo of Sander pre-demolishing. I'll try to find it.

Update. Here is the pre-demolished photo, but it is from stgite, so you probably have already seen it. http://www.stgite.org.uk/library/sanderstreet1957.jpg
                      Last edited by DrummondStreet; 02-16-2014, 02:52 AM. Reason: Change "bomb" to "demolish"

Comment

• Many thanks, havn't seen that one and it shows a little more of the corner on the left. I think I need a shot looking down Back Church Lane from the North end to see it properly. My family lived there in Victorian times.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                          Here is the pre-demolished photo, but it is from stgite, so you probably have already seen it. http://www.stgite.org.uk/library/sanderstreet1957.jpg
                          A super old East End photo there.

Exactly as the street would have looked in Victorian times.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• http://www.stgite.org.uk/williamson.html

Take a look at this. Bottom of the page.

Comment

• Rusteze: Do you have the specific street number? I'm intrigued now. And Sander Street might have been named "Charles St." pre-JTR, if I'm reading the old maps correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                                Rusteze: Do you have the specific street number? I'm intrigued now. And Sander Street might have been named "Charles St." pre-JTR, if I'm reading the old maps correctly.
                                Charles Street was renamed Sander Street around about 1869

Comment

Working...
                                X