This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hutch Orris View Post
    Thanks for posting your photos Observer. This is my favourite thread yet I've hardly posted on it yet. I'll correct that shortly.

Can I ask about the photos of Tenter Street. Isn't this Toynbee Street formerly Shepherd Street? I think Tenter Street ran more or less parallel to Shepherd Street on the Bell Lane side.

I think Tenter Ground might might be the line of the old street running off Whites Row with the rest of it under modern housing.
    Ouch!!! Absolutely Hutch. A couple of days after I posted those pics I realised it was Toynbee Street. I have my pics arranged alphabetically, and the mistake resulted from their close proximity in my albums. That's my excuse anyway. The thing is Iv'e walked up and down Toynee Street many times, so there's no excuse really. The supposed lodging of the American character who appeared in Ripper Street, was indeed Tenter Street, and I suppose they were reffering to Tenter Street North just behing Leman Street cop shop. I have pics of that area I'll see if I can sort them out and post them.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Great pics...thanks.....Robert

Comment

• By the way Hutch some nice pics there.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Thanks Robert and Observer.

I think you're right there Observer. It would make sense if the fictional Captain Jackson was living in close proximity to Leman Street Police station. Unfortunately for fans of the series the various sections of Tenter Street behind the Police station shows no trace of Victorian atmosphere now being completely new buildings.

I notice in the TV series they pronounce Leman as Lee-man which is how I used to say it. Having discussed it with some local people they called it Le-man as in the French masculine for the, le. Not important but I'm not sure which is correct now.

Anyway, a second series next year to look forward to.
          Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Having discussed it with some local people they called it Le-man as in the French masculine for the, le.
            "Le Mans Street then?"
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hi Hutch

Yes the Tenter Street North area sadly shows no resemblence to how it would have appeared during the time of the TV series. However there are a couple of period buildings if my memeory serves me well.

Regarding pronunciation of street names, I think the varience in pronounciation goes back a very long time. I know an old timer who pronounces leadenhall Street, leedenhall Street. I'm sure there are many other instances where pronunciation differs regarding street names.

Regards

Observer

Regards

Observer
              Last edited by Observer; 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM. Reason: to add to post

Comment

• Hello Hutch ,

Fantastic pic's , Great job uploading these . Totally agree with the Ten Bells comment . The Times they are (indeed) a changing.

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

• Here's a one of Brushfield Street. Good job this wasn't around when Isenschmidt roamed the streets, as it would have ended up minus it's bowels. Although I think Mr I would have blunted his knife somewhat

Regards

Observer

Click image for larger version

Name:	goat 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	664839

Comment

• One for the Christopher Marlowe fans. Norton Folgate

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton Folgate 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	664841

Comment

• Brilliant photos Hutch! Im using Hawksmoor as my backdrop. Was walking down Durward St on Thursday and see they have now put a gate installed running parrallel with the road attached to the school building so you can no longer see Woods Buildings passage at all.

Comment

• Thank you Adam. I always thought that Woods Buildings passage was a right of way but it's clearly not. Once gates go up they don't come down.

Still, if they can do away with an ancient thoroughfare like Duval/Dorset street on the say so of one man I guess they can do anything they want.

There are City speculators who would happily flatten anything not made from concrete, steel and glass from Bishopsgate to Brick Lane if they could.
                        Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Video: 'The Great Fog of London'

Here's a good 6 minute YouTube video on the 'Great Fog of London'. Interesting montage of old black and white newsreel footage that goes up to about 1962.

I love the homemade "Space Helmet" the young lady is wearing to escape the smoggy air.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                            Here's a good 6 minute YouTube video on the 'Great Fog of London'. Interesting montage of old black and white newsreel footage that goes up to about 1962.

I love the homemade "Space Helmet" the young lady is wearing to escape the smoggy air.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Archaic
                            So do I. I was living in London in 1962. Thanks for posting.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• 1946 Pathé News: East End Family Going Hop-Picking

1946 EAST END HOP-PICKERS: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/hop-pickers-1

Perhaps it wasn't so very different in 1888?

Archaic

PS: Hi Colin. You're welcome.
                              Last edited by Archaic; 03-28-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• 1934 Pathé News: Hopping Holiday

It's very easy to imagine Kate hopping when you watch this one: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ho...hare-this-titl

Probably the only fresh air many people ever got.

Best regards,
                                Archaic
                                Last edited by Archaic; 03-28-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X