This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Yes I like that one, but I really love the one that follows that...the undefined appearance of the woman with the shopping bags really makes it special...

All the best

Dave
    as she walked past me i knew i had to get her in the shot because she was the only person walking up the street......

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
      Jason, I love that photo you took of the Houses of Parliament. Very atmospheric and rather ghostly.

That probably really is how the scene appeared to the eye of a "gin-soaked prostitute" c.1888!

I think it would make a cool book or magazine cover.

Maybe you can peddle framed prints of it at the next conference?

Cheers,
      Archaic
      was kind of hoping it may be used on this website !! claim to fame and all that !

Comment

• may have already been seen ...

These fascinating black and white pictures taken by photographer John Thompson show what life was life in the 1800s when photography was in its infancy.

Comment

• They capture long-dead engineers working hard to bring the world's first Underground network to life; they even the construction of Nelson's Column back in 1844.

Comment

• Check out Jason's links above as there are some superb old photos there.

My favourite is the 1852 one of the contented hippo in London Zoo.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• thanks Stephen. The "dealer in fancy wares" one on the 1st link of the 3 could quite easily be Millers Court ! shame of it is that we shall never know who the people are or where they were taken.......but we can have our fantasies !

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
                thanks Stephen. The "dealer in fancy wares" one on the 1st link of the 3 could quite easily be Millers Court ! shame of it is that we shall never know who the people are or where they were taken.......but we can have our fantasies !
                The Dealer in Fancy Wares might just be Louis Diemschutz.

Regards, Bridewell.
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• coloured.

A little clour Jason.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• WoW!! Is that my photo Harry ? If it is that is bloody brilliant

Comment

• Jason,
                      Same photo.Attempt at daylight scene.Difficult as photo has faded,and I am just an amatuer.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• The Caledonian Arms, Fairfield Road, Bow. A hundred yards or so north of the Bryant and May match factory, and a few hundred yards north of the Grove Hall Asylum.
                        The landlord in 1888 was Thomas Gillett.
                        It closed in 2000. I had a drink in there a couple of times in the 1990s. It was a bit grotty.
                        I didn’t know that there was a killing here in 1888 – the result of a cat fight between two females I believe. But I can’t remember the exact date or names.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          The Caledonian Arms, Fairfield Road, Bow. A hundred yards or so north of the Bryant and May match factory, and a few hundred yards north of the Grove Hall Asylum.
                          The landlord in 1888 was Thomas Gillett.
                          It closed in 2000. I had a drink in there a couple of times in the 1990s. It was a bit grotty.
                          I didn’t know that there was a killing here in 1888 – the result of a cat fight between two females I believe. But I can’t remember the exact date or names.
                          Hi Lechmere

By strange coincidence I listened to a talk at the Whitechapel Society yesterday evening by Peter Stubley about his new and very good book 1888-London Murders in the Year of the Ripper and this case was mentioned.

The ladies involved were Sarah Ann Ward and Annie Astell.

Here's the Old Bailey transcript of the trial......

Comment

• Yes that's the one. That report could easily be from this year.
                            Reading the evidence it is surprising that the case got to the Old Bailey. But many speculative cases were brought to trial back then.

I think I will go back and look for traces of the cellar flap.
                            Last edited by Lechmere; 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                              I think I will go back and look for traces of the cellar flap.
                              The nails on my cellar flap were iron nails which project above the wood three quarters of an inch: they were put on simply to prevent boys dancing on it.

How weird is that? I thought all pub cellar flaps were made of metal.

And what's that thing in the road in your photo that looks like a grate?

Comment

Working...
                              X