Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Balfron Tower' ? is just ugly but also cheap and tacky (the sort of thing that will fall into disrepair and the site need to be rebuilt). I suppose that it is good that it will inevitably leave the place for something better -sad for the people that have to look at it now, however.

I really like the 'Gherkin'. There are some really exciting views of the old terraces in Spitalfields, juxtaposed with the Gherkin standing high, beyond. It gives me a buzz. Just as the glass and steel office buildings, lit at night, near The Tower of London, seem terribly thrilling...

It would just be awful if we only built pastiches of the Past.

'Contrast' can bring out the best of both styles by throwing them into relief...I love the 'old' but I love the 'new' too..
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• I was passing Broadgate and thought I’d get a picture of the location of the long demolished Broad Street Goods Yard – where Pickfords used to have its stables in 1888 as they had the contract for the carrying trade from Broad Street Station.
      The witness (some might say no 1 suspect) Charles Cross/Lechmere worked for Pickfords at Broad Street.
      Attached Files

Comment

• I was interested to notice a new plaque on the wall. This plaque commemorates three firemen who died tackling a blaze in 1951 that engulfed the goods yard. Until I read the plaque (which was only unveiled in July this year) I had no idea that this had happened. This is my barely legible picture of the plaque.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	broad street plaque.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	664355
        The story can be read here with a better picture of the plaque:

A fascinating piece of film relating to this blaze can be viewed here:
        Huge+blaze+at+London+railway+warehouse+-+two+firemen+were+killed.

Comment

• Preparations now well underway for the demolition of Mitre Square. Photo taken last Friday, 5 October. Much of the surrounding buildings have fencing in front. Could be a matter of weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6980.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	664356

Comment

• Is the whole square going or just some of the buildings surrounding it?

Regards, Bridewell.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• 'Nights of Old London' from Spitalfields Life

You guys will love these atmospheric photos-

Night views of Old London from the Bishopsgate Institute, presented on SpitalfieldsLife.com.

'Nights of Old London': http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...fields+Life%29

Cheers,
              Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                You guys will love these atmospheric photos-

Night views of Old London from the Bishopsgate Institute, presented on SpitalfieldsLife.com.

'Nights of Old London': http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...fields+Life%29

Cheers,
                Archaic
                goodness me, they are truly stunning ....some of the other ones on there as well just defy belief in their beauty and how they have captured a world long gone......i think i have decided that the invention of the camera is possibly the greatest thing that man ever gave to mankind. Those photos make me rather emtotional, the one of the man peering round the corner of the window is just incredible. One brief moment in his life ensured he lived on long after his death.....thanks for putting this link on Archaic.

Comment

• Hi Jason, I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Dream-like, aren't they?

I love the photo of London's lights shining on the water that's suffused with a golden glow. It's like a fine oil painting. I wonder is that early color film, or a result of the flash?

I recommend that you check out the entries under the heading 'Past Life' on the Spitalfields Life blog. 'Past Life' contains countless vintage photographs of the East End.

There's one entry in particular I think you'll like, where the author examines 19th C. Victorian photographs that contain "hidden" human beings one wouldn't ordinarily notice; you have to enlarge them and examine them very closely. Then one discerns a face from long ago peering silently from a shop window, watching the photographer.
                  I particularly enjoy the photos which contain human figures that moved too quickly for the long exposure time to capture their image; instead they leave a little ghostly blur on the landscape. This frequently happens with children.

I have a folder containing my favorite posts from this blog, including that one; I'll see if I can locate the page for you.

This is actually the only blog I subscribe to, and I look forward the links that arrive in my inbox each day. I love his stories, and he writes so evocatively...he's got soul.

Cheers,
                  Archaic
                  Last edited by Archaic; 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Jason, I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Dream-like, aren't they?

I love the photo of London's lights shining on the water that's suffused with a golden glow. It's like a fine oil painting. I wonder is that early color film, or a result of the flash?

I recommend that you check out the entries under the heading 'Past Life' on the Spitalfields Life blog. 'Past Life' contains countless vintage photographs of the East End.

There's one entry in particular I think you'll like, where the author examines 19th C. Victorian photographs that contain "hidden" human beings one wouldn't ordinarily notice; you have to enlarge them and examine them very closely. Then one discerns a face from long ago peering silently from a shop window, watching the photographer.
                    I particularly enjoy the photos which contain human figures that moved too quickly for the long exposure time to capture their image; instead they leave a little ghostly blur on the landscape. This frequently happens with children.

I have a folder containing my favorite posts from this blog, including that one; I'll see if I can locate the page for you.

This is actually the only blog I subscribe to, and I look forward the links that arrive in my inbox each day. I love his stories, and he writes so evocatively...he's got soul.

Cheers,
                    Archaic
                    i think the one with the face at the window is the one i am talking about.....that is astonishing.

Comment

Hi Jason, I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Dream-like, aren't they?

Cheers,
                      Archaic
                      the blog is something special indeed......i have only ever been to Whitechapel/Spitalfields once in my life but the area has drawn me like a moth to its light since i was about 8 years old when i first heard of JtR. The history and horror of the place is magnetic, yet when you see these pictures, beauty appears to be the truism of the place...how can somewhere so entrenched in deepest levels of human suffering be so attractive to someone who has only read words reflecting that horror ? photography is amazing.....well at least when its done well

Comment

• 'Ghosts of Old London' Photos

Hi Jason. That's an interesting question you've posed.

For the sake of those who haven't seen the photos in question, here they are:

Ghosts of Old London: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/12/...of-old-london/

Best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

Hi Jason. That's an interesting question you've posed.

For the sake of those who haven't seen the photos in question, here they are:

Ghosts of Old London: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2010/12/...of-old-london/

Best regards,
                          Archaic
                          I can understand why someone who was raised there, lived there briefly or spent time there as a student can look at it fondly or with nostalgia.....but for someone like me, and many on here, it is something quite bizarre. I am coming down next weekend and i have asked my wife to accompany me around whitechapel and Spitalfields....she just doesnt get it ! in fact she thinks i am quite bizarre ! stranger still is that its our wedding anniversary and she was hoping for something rather special ! for me, this is my dream wedding anniversary present !

Comment

• Stunning photographs aren't they...part of that may be that with black and white you simply HAVE to be good with light and dark...but to get the shot in the first place you need the eye...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Chris Scott is posting wonderful new photos on jtrforums...

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Just posted a few more on the same thread...

Comment

Working...
                                X