This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    Hi Rob, thanks for that. Any chance that the James Brown from the 1889 directory is the same James Brown from Stride inquest fame?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    I haven't checked Tom but I seriously doubt it.

Rob

Comment

• my wifes gt gt grandfather was James Brown from London. I wonder if either of them was him

Comment

• Video: 'Disappearing London: Suggs and the City'

Hi Magoo; welcome to Casebook.

Has anyone seen this video called 'Disappearing London: Suggs and the City' narrated by the lead singer of Madness, Graham "Suggs" McPherson?

It sounds pretty good.

Thanks,
        Archaic

Comment

• 'Disappearing London' In 6 Episodes

Yay, I found the whole series on YouTube!

Here's episode 1 of 6, 'Disappearing London': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0Si...hannel&list=UL

Cheers,
          Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            Yay, I found the whole series on YouTube!

Here's episode 1 of 6, 'Disappearing London': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0Si...hannel&list=UL

Cheers,
            Archaic
            PS: In Episode 1, Suggs goes down to Romford!

Comment

• Pictures taken earlier this year in the East End

Some picts i took between january and june 2012, in London...
              ( Miller's Court now / a sign near Algate Station / angle of Durward st/ night street near )

Regards
              GL
              Attached Files
              His man Bowyer
              (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

Hi Magoo; welcome to Casebook.

Has anyone seen this video called 'Disappearing London: Suggs and the City' narrated by the lead singer of Madness, Graham "Suggs" McPherson?

It sounds pretty good.

Thanks,
                Archaic
                I saw this series on TV some time back and really enjoyed them.
                Suggs ended up being a much better presenter than I expected.
                There was a good bit about the synagogue in, I think, Sandys Row
                Hope you enjoy them
                Chris

Comment

• Hi Gene, thanks for your photos.
                  The one of the Durward Street sign looks like a painting.

Hi Chris.

Yes, Suggs is actually a very good presenter. I've watched episodes 1 & 2 so far and enjoyed them.

It's a shame all the family-owned pubs are going; what a loss!

Best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

• Thank you, i feel the same... It's the polaroid effect that make it look like a Sickert painting !
                    His man Bowyer
                    (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

• OOooh, Bunny, thanks for that link..yes, Suggs is a great presenter...very attaching.

I just watched episode 1 (off to try and watch other episodes now).

But did you see the difference in Sugg's body language between him talking to the tobacconist and Steven Fry ?? I don't think that he liked Smug Steve much, if you ask me !
                      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                        OOooh, Bunny, thanks for that link..yes, Suggs is a great presenter...very attaching.

I just watched episode 1 (off to try and watch other episodes now).

But did you see the difference in Sugg's body language between him talking to the tobacconist and Steven Fry ?? I don't think that he liked Smug Steve much, if you ask me !
                        I just saw the whole series and now want to be a Rag & Bone woman, learn Ballroom Dancing & Bingo, be buried by a gothic hearse, buy a new hat, hang about Victorian urinals, and fall in love with Suggs (you can keep Brad Pitt) -this is a fab series and I hugely enjoyed it. Thank you.
                        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                          I just saw the whole series and now want to be a Rag & Bone woman, learn Ballroom Dancing & Bingo, be buried by a gothic hearse, buy a new hat, hang about Victorian urinals, and fall in love with Suggs...
                          Does that mean I get Trent??

DEAL!!!

Archaic

Comment

Does that mean I get Trent??

DEAL!!!

Archaic
                            PS: Beware hanging about Victorian urinals; you might find yourself getting arrested...after all, that's what happened to Tumblety!

Comment

• For the past three days I have been looking at the pictures in this thread. I have looked at them all now. Though I am red eyed and blurry I enjoyed every one of them. Thank all of you for posting the photos. Probably will be the closest I ever come to being there.

While looking through the pictures I couldn't help thinking about the incredible amount of labor it took to lay all those bricks. When you consider that each brick had to be laid one by one, leveled, and plumbed it boggles my mind.
                              Were the bricks made in or near London?

Stan

Comment

• Does anyone know, is this George Lusk's former house? It is 1 Tollet Street.
                                Attached Files
                                Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
                                X