Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Euston Arch Pieces Rediscovered, To Be Rebuilt?

Hi everybody.

Below is a photo of the demolition in of the Euston Arch in process... what a crime against History and Art!

Does anybody know what has become of plans discussed in 2009 to rebuild the Euston Arch?
    According to the following article, after it was so sadly demolished in the 60's, pieces of the gigantic structure were used to fill in part of the River Lea. They were rediscovered in 1994 and removed from the river. Plans were apparently drawn up to rebuild the structure.

I'd love to visit the proposed "underground nightclub" that is to be built amidst the old foundations, and ride in the elevators designed to rise up the old arches!

Demolished Euston Arch Rediscovered: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ped-river.html

Thanks & best regards,
    Archaic
    Attached Files

Comment

• Apologies if these have been posted before but I don't remember seeing them.
      Here are four sketches published in the Illustrated London News in 1919.
      The attribution reads as follows:-
      "Where the housing problem is acute: In the East End. Drawn by A.C. Michael from sketches by our special artist Bryan de Grineau."
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bryan de Grineau (1883-1957) was an artist best known for his motorcar paintings. Learning from his father, the illustrator Charles Grineau, Bryan did not attend art school and his early artwork appeared in motoring magazines such as The Motor. He also worked for the Illustrated London News

Comment

• Apologies if this has been seen before and also apologies for the very poor quality of the scans.

Couple of Edwardian Postcards I bought today.

1) Middlesex Street looking toward Aldgate.

2) Middlesex Street looking at the junction of New Goulston Street. Note The Bell pub with its ornate lampwork.

Cheers
          Monty
          Attached Files
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Periera Street

Photographs of Periera Street have appeared on the site before, but not, I think, this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pereira_street_backyard1915_low_res.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	663868

For a number of reasons I believe this shows the backs of the houses on the western side of the street looking north, the two primary ones being that the three photos I've seen of the street facing south (from various angles, including back yards) all show the Albion brewery and its chimney dominating the skyline, and the fact that there weren't enough of these cottages in an unbroken row for it to be the back yards of the eastern side of the street looking south.

However, I can't reconcile the buildings in the distance with the contemporary OS, when considering which streets lie north of Periera.

The buildings in the background appear to be similar in style to - or indeed are the very same - seen in north-facing photos of Little Collingwood Street which backs onto the southern half of Periera Street (east).

So, am I correct in my assumption of the orientation, and if so is anyone able to identify which road the buildings in the background are on please?

Comment

• Fournier Street

11 and 11.5 !!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Apologies if these have been posted up before - but there are some belters here in case anyone missed them before. May I ask - there are some photos here with wooden open landings - is that the kind of landing that Martha Tabram was found on or would that have been a more enclosed affair like a stairwell as we'd know it now?

Comment

• I have seen those before ( a while back) but always good to see again.
                  Thank you Stu.

Comment

• Nice...but wouldnt want to live there myself. I do belive however that the artists Gilbert and George do live here.

Comment

• Quite right spyglass. Tracey Emin lives a few doors further on with her cat Docket, the other side of Wilkes Street.

I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but personally I love her because she's a nice person but still has an 'edge' to her and doesn't sit on her emotions.

If I ever win the Euro millions ( ) Fournier Street/Princlet Street/Wilkes Street would be where I moved to.
                      Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Thanks Hutch,
                        I knew Tracy lived in the area, didnt realise it was in the same street.In fact it is an up and coming area for artists although Gilbert and George have been there a long time.

Regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                          although Gilbert and George have been there a long time.
                          And what a lovely couple they are and what magnificent artists they are.

Not.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hopefully some photos to show those who are new to the case and may be visiting the area in the future the approximate line of Dorset Street which was some what to the south of the current thoroughfare.

The first photo was taken from Commercial Street with my shoulder hard against the edge of 82 Commercial Street. The well known old photo of Dorset Street was taken from the Crispin Street end looking towards Commercial Street. The end of the building at 82 Commercial Street can clearly be seen in the distance.

Name:	DSCN2236.jpg
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	663891

Name:	DSCN2186.jpg
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	663892

Name:	dorset street copy.jpg
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	663893
                            Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Great link Stu! I think they may have been posted before but on a big site like this it can be difficult to say even using search.

I take the view better a repeat post from someone than be afraid to post and keep to yourself something others would enjoy.

In the case of the staircase at George Yard buildings where Martha Tabram was found, no they weren't open balcony style like in those photos. They were more a conventional enclosed stairway with small landings as they wound around the inside of the building. Someone may be able to direct you to a photo of something similar.
                              Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• For completion I should show the approximate murder location of Mary Kelly as it relates to the current street layout.

It lies between the 4th and 5th shutters down from the Commercial Street end and conveniently, if you get close up, there is a missing kerb stone just by the spot.

Some people say the actual site is on this line but further into the warehouse itself.

Name:	DSCN2172.jpg
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	663894

Name:	DSCN2236b.jpg
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	663895
                                Post Tenebras Lux

Comment