This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear oh dear.

Believe it or not, Euston and Kings Cross railway stations are there to this day.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Dear oh dear.

Believe it or not, Euston and Kings Cross railway stations are there to this day.
      Huh? Of course, they are. But Euston was demolished and rebuilt in the 60s and Kings Cross just received a new canopy which has significantly altered its appearance. I'm not sure what you mean.

Comment

• Euston Old and New

This might help people......
        Attached Files

Comment

• Here is another image of the interior of the original Euston station. Such a shame it was lost.

Comment

• First post, I think, though a long-time lurker. I'm more interested in the Victorian East End as a whole rather than being Ripper-centric, but of course it's impossible to be interested in one without the other.

So, while on the subject of railways, here are a couple of views of Swallow Gardens from the viaduct above.

The first was taken in 1922, at Haydon Square Junction looking towards Fenchurch Street. The big warehouse in the background is Goodman's Yard and Chamber Street can be seen on the right hand side. The arch to Swallow Gardens (according to the 1894 OS) is just beyond the big signal gantry, underneath the pointwork of the double junction that sweeps right leading to Haydon Square Goods Depot, and directly in front of the school - the building with the bell tower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Haydon Square Junction small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	663787

The reverse of the above view a decade later. The tank locomotive is on the branch to Haydon Square, the arch is below the point where the viaduct begins to sweep left, below the upright object against the parapet wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Haydon Square Junction looking east.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	663788

Comment

• And a link to plans to restore the arch, most of which was submerged in the Prescott Channel after demolition, and is in very good condition.

Comment

• Arch comment

Sorry bj (never thought I'd be saying that) but the link doesn't seem to lead to anywhere worthwhile...However, I've read elsewhere the interesting news re the discovery of parts of the Euston Arch and I'd love to see it restored somewhere...No matter what the imperative, the original destruction was unforgivable!

Best wishes

Dave

Comment

• Oops, yes, there's a typo on the link which I appear to be unable to edit.

The link should be: http://www.eustonarch.org/

Comment

• Hi Buckjumper,

Do we know each other? You seem familiar.

I've the photos you have showed and love them. Infact the top one was used in an article I co-authored.

The line was widened I believe just after the Coles murder. Maybe wrong on that though. You can see the School on the left also.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
                    Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Monty,

Maybe I've just got one of those faces... it all depends on which other parts of the interweb you inhabit. As a professional model maker that side of things makes up the largest part of my online trawling, usually going under the same username.

What was the article about/which publication? I've seen the photo reproduced in two books, one by Jim Connor and one by Chris Hawkins. The original photo was taken by the soon-to-be-departing Great Eastern Railway administration on the 9th May 1922 - the company had a history of employing a photographer to record large parts of its infrastructure from 1910 onwards.

The second photo was taken in 1935, coinciding with, and possibly marking the abolition of, the Haydon Square signal box following the completion of the Fenchurch Street resignalling project.

The viaduct was widened in 1853 and 1896.

Back to Ripper-related content, I notice that Swallow Gardens is marked clearly on the 1894 OS, but is absent from the 1913-6 map (I think the latter was published in 1916 showing the area as it was in 1913).

Comment

• Originally posted by buckjumper View Post

Back to Ripper-related content, I notice that Swallow Gardens is marked clearly on the 1894 OS, but is absent from the 1913-6 map (I think the latter was published in 1916 showing the area as it was in 1913).
                        I'm assuming this is the same place you are talking about. Taken from an old work colleague's notes (he used to name and number the streets in the east end along with lots of other stuff).

Swallow Gardens, Royal Mint Street E. [1700-1907]

Swallow Gardens, Rosemary Lane. At 128, sixth on the
                        left from the Minories.” Lockie, 1813. Swallow Gardens
                        ran indirectly through from Rosemary Lane to Chamber
                        Street on the Rocque map of 1746 and was well
                        established before that date. It was next east of the
                        Clothes Exhange.
                        It survived the construction of the original railway viaduct
                        in about 1840 but was closed 11/05/1907 by the Midland Railway Co. under S.25 of the Midland Railway Act of
                        1898, although it was no more than the entrance to the
                        Midlands Railway Goods Depot by the 1870s.

Comment

• Originally posted by yen_powell View Post
                          I'm assuming this is the same place you are talking about. Taken from an old work colleague's notes (he used to name and number the streets in the east end along with lots of other stuff).

Swallow Gardens, Royal Mint Street E. [1700-1907]

Swallow Gardens, Rosemary Lane. At 128, sixth on the
                          left from the Minories.” Lockie, 1813. Swallow Gardens
                          ran indirectly through from Rosemary Lane to Chamber
                          Street on the Rocque map of 1746 and was well
                          established before that date. It was next east of the
                          Clothes Exhange.
                          It survived the construction of the original railway viaduct
                          in about 1840 but was closed 11/05/1907 by the Midland Railway Co. under S.25 of the Midland Railway Act of
                          1898, although it was no more than the entrance to the
                          Midlands Railway Goods Depot by the 1870s.
                          your point is ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                            Dear oh dear.

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

• Hey Buckjumper,

Then I may have you confused with another, apologies.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hello Mr D......

Im as confused as you and Ive been in and out of both stations approx two hours ago !!

ps......caught some lovely phone pics on my tavels today....specially of spitalfields.....will post up soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X