Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridewell, quite a vast array of photos, you must have worn out your feet (I did it myself in 2008). But I notice you have covered sites for all victims from Tabram through McKenzie- no shots of Swallow Gardens to include Frances Coles? It's so close to the Stride site. Oh well, still a fine job.

Comment

• Good morning, Stephen,

I was trying to rotate the images, but for some reason it didn't happen. Not sure if it was a software problem, or just an incompetent operator.(Sorry the work-out wasn't beneficial. Hope the neck gets better soon!).

Kensei, I must have got close to the Swallow Gardens site because we went south of the railway line (turned left from Prescot Street) during our August visit. I wasn't sure which arch was the right one, to be honest and we were on too tight a time schedule to photograph of all of them. I'm planning to go back when the weather improves, so maybe I'll pull it in then.

Regards, Bridewell
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
        Is this what they call the Shambles? I've seen postcards of the the Shambles and have been so tempted to buy them. This looks a look like those. Nice pix, Martian2.

Regards,

Cel
        Very well done Martian!
        I always like to see loose ends tied up and errors corrected
        In case anyone is wondering about the origin of the claim that this was a London street, I was the one who posted it under the description "A Spitalfields Street"
        The origin of this was the public Member Photos section of ancestry.co.uk
        Very glad to have the record set straight and well done:-)
        Chris

I know it's going back about 3 years, but just to clarify this, once and for all. The picture (Post 455) wasn't wrongly labelled as "A Spitalfields Street", just incompletely. It is Spitalfields, but Spitalfields, Newcastle.

Apologies to anyone who doesn't remember the discussion.

Regards, Bridewell
        Last edited by Bridewell; 02-05-2012, 10:16 PM.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• 'The Shambles' was originally the name for a row of butchers' shops, many with a slaughter area at the back. The animals were brought to the back, killed, 'chopped up' and then sold in the shop at the front. There are still a few of these rows left in old towns in England. I guess The Shambles in York is the most famous one.
          Carol

Comment

• This link may have already been posted but this guy has some wonderful pics of multiple London locations going back 30 years. Lots of East End, Docklands and City of London pics with some other interesting pics of London Underground stations, DLR, Russia and bits and pieces.

Comment

• Does anybody know what that large building to the right of Leman Street is? It looks like a railway building that's linked to the Fenchurch St. line.

Comment

• At the corner of St Mary Axe and Bevis Marks, this overhanging gabled house was destroyed in 1882

Aldgate

Both images from www.retronaut.co

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Sabre View Post

Does anybody know what that large building to the right of Leman Street is? It looks like a railway building that's linked to the Fenchurch St. line.
                  It's a Goods Terminal and is the station shown on the graphic on the JTRForums website homepage.

I believe it was still in use in the 1960s.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                    It's a Goods Terminal and is the station shown on the graphic on the JTRForums website homepage.
                    To be precise it was The London Tilbury and Southend Railway Goods Depot.

Here I suggest that the railway arch that Schwartz ran to and stopped at was the one on Hooper Street close to this depot and not the one off Pinchin Street.

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Some pictures taken whilst I was at work.

Tapp Street, Bethnal Green, after I had it cleared of cars so I could make it one way and widen the footways. The remaining black cab was being used as a brothel at night (hence the bedding). It hasn't been towed away in this picture as it only had three wheels which made moving it quite difficult. I had the setts saw cut to preserve the perfect finish on them and layed the new kerbs against the newly cut edges.

The Goodnight Sweetheart pub, Columbia Road and the famous alley down the side where Gary Sparrow likes to appear.

I've got some pictures of a lost cellar I found in Goulston Street whilst excavating a few years ago and some of the cellars as they are currently under Wentworth Dwellings which I still have to add to my photobucket account.

Comment

• These are excellent Yen, many thanks.

Can't wait to see the others.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• The accidentally discovered cellar in Goulston Street. The second photo was taken after we covered it up again. It was under the three bollards on the left hand side between the gate and the trolley.

Comment

• Great photographs, Matt and yen! Many thanks for posting them.

Chris
                            Christopher T. George
                            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Awesome Yen,

So you worked on the traffic calming scheme a few years back?

I saw similar cellars of Eagle & Browne in Bucks Row.

Love stuff like that, again, many thanks.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                Awesome Yen,

So you worked on the traffic calming scheme a few years back?

I saw similar cellars of Eagle & Browne in Bucks Row.

Love stuff like that, again, many thanks.

Monty
                                I did yes and the leaf shaped gates that keep breaking in Wentworth Street, I get about all over the place, always finding stuff under the roads and footpaths, parks etc, old cellars, tramlines, bodies occasionally (like at Royal Mint), my mate once found an elizabethan sewer pipe made from bound together hollowed out tree trunks.

Recently got a guided tour of the pipe subway (victorian) that runs from the closed off road just north of Buckle Street down the A13 towards Gowers Walk.

I'm doing odd bits here and there in Durward Street/Bucks Row for Crossrail, I revamped Wheler/Braithwaite Street when we got it back after the new Shoreditch station was built as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X