X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Turkish bath is a restaurant now

Comment

• Hi Lechmere. Thanks for answering.

Hopefully the Turkish baths building has been turned into something suiting the ambiance, like a Turkish coffee and kebob place.

Hey Stephen, why don't you pop in there for a meal and then report back to the rest of us?

Or how about you Lechmere, since you have a camera?

Cheers,
      Archaic

Comment

• Brilliant photo of you and John in Mitre Square Andrew. We should organise a night jaunt sometime.Perhaps the London Job massif might be interested. How often do you get down to London?
        Pete

Comment

• Thanks Lechmere, these plans are superb. Where on earth did you find them?

Comment

• Originally posted by WARSPITE View Post
            Brilliant photo of you and John in Mitre Square Andrew. We should organise a night jaunt sometime.Perhaps the London Job massif might be interested. How often do you get down to London?
            Pete
            Cheers Pete!

I've been visiting London pretty much on a monthly basis just of late, although that's because I've been gathering shots for the new book. I'll still be up for a night jaunt around the east end in the future though!

Andrew

Comment

• Ive only done one night jaunt back in 1993, when the Ten Bells stayed open all night. Let me know on facebook when youre planning next. Who else do you think might be interested?

Comment

• Sublime Photography: 'The East End Then and Now'

Hi everyone. Not sure if any of you have seen a photography website called Sublime Photography, but there's a whole section called "The East End Then and Now" with antique photos & modern photos of the same view side-by-side. Apparently it was done in conjunction with the Tower Hamlets Library & Archive.

Sublime Photography: The East End Then and Now: http://www.sublimephotography.co.uk/...henandnow1.htm

There's also another section with current view of the East End.

The photo attached is from The Isle of Dogs; I think it's pretty cool.

Best regards,
                Archaic
                Attached Files

Comment

• This shot might have been posted here before but as there's nigh on 300 pages to look through, I hope members will understand if I don't bother to check..

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Here's another shot of Whitechapel Road, with Hospital in view.
                    According to Fishman, East End 1888, Whitechapel Road was a hive of activity all night, coffee stalls, entertainment, goods still being bought and sold.

Regards, Jon S.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Warspite
                      I got them at the Tower Hamlets Local History Library on Bancroft Road

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitechapel Station 1902 2008 reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	662719

A then and now shot of Whitechapel Station, showing Durward Street and the board school on the left. The "then" shot is from 1902, which makes it one of the earliest views of the former Buck's Row in existence.

This was originally intended for inclusion in my new book, for which, here is a shameless plug...

Browse self published books. Buy, sell and share photography books, wedding albums, portfolios and more. Find self published books as unique as you.

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

• Mmmmmmm, very nice Andrew.

I'm surprised how tall the Bucks Row cottages appear in 1902.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                            Mmmmmmm, very nice Andrew.

I'm surprised how tall the Bucks Row cottages appear in 1902.
                            The buildings on the left are the warehouses on the north side of Durward Street. The terraced houses are actually behind the board school. You can just see the top of the houses in neighbouring Winthrop Street just above the retaining wall.

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

• Thanks Archaic, that sublime photography is a great little link. Heres a great one from there of Cobb St.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• A balloon's eye view of the Lusk house
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X