Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Adam for helping to make this my favorite thread. I especially like b&w night scenes after a recent rain, where the pavement glistens. Some of the present-day views of vintage streets and buildings posted here remind me somewhat of Titanic wreck photos and the feelings they evoke of human tragedy in times past. To all who post here, keep up the great work.

John the Appreciative
    "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
    Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Not completely in keeping with the thread, however......

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• From my same excursion as the images above - I also sneakily went down an alley on Court St (which runs parallel with Durward St) - next to a little barbers called "Azeem Hair Dressers" = looks like its not actually public, it just goes through to some patio doors and a spiral stair case up to flats I presume - the first two pics are from there - not great photos - but just to show whats there.
        Next and un-related to Jack I went into The Blind Beggar and had a drink by the section which I now know to be the murder spot of George Cornell (shot by Ron Kray) - attached is my new colour photo and the black and white crime scene photo showing the blood on the floor - as you can see the bar has been taken back about a metre but the jutting out wall on the top left is the same.
        After that - went past No.44 Brick Lane where the nailbomb of David Copeland went off in 1999 - apparently he left it outside no.30 in Hanbury St (and a passer by found it and put it in his car boot in Brick Lane and went off to tell Police when it exploded).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by AdamWalsh; 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Very interesting photos. Thanks again, Adam.

Comment

• Hello all,

Even as Durward Street, 2010, on a sunny July day, it is a lonely spot.

Photo c/o Alan Carter

best wishes

Phil
            Attached Files
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

• Here's another, different angle.

Photo c/o Alan Carter

best wishes

Phil
              Attached Files
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

• Had a boozy evening out at, The Bavarian Beer House, opposite, Fenchurch St Station. Missed the last train and a few of us ended up walking around The City, we sat in Mitre Sq for about 15 minutes, around 1AM. It does still have a certain atmosphere and it was very quiet. Then we walked to Whites Row, Henriques Street, Hanbury Street, Fashion Street, I took these with my iphone, it was also pouring down! I'm particularly happy with the Hanbury Street one

Mitre Square:

Fashion Street 2 pics:

Henriques Street:

Hanbury Street:

Comment

• What would happen if I popped into the Bavarian beerhouse and talked bavarian to them? ;-)
                  C

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisjd View Post
                    What would happen if I popped into the Bavarian beerhouse and talked bavarian to them? ;-)
                    C
                    They'd probably have to get a translator! They do have German staff in there, to be fair, and it was recommended to me by a German friend of mine.

Comment

• 'The Grave Maurice' From 1908 Book

Hi everyone.

This is for our pal The Grave Maurice, and his late namesake. (sorry about its demise, GM)

I came across it accidentally in a book from 1908. The last paragraph is the best.

Cheers,
                      Archaic

PS: Here's a link about John Taylor the water-poet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_%28poet%29
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Archaic; 03-02-2011, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• Thank you for that, Archaic. Very interesting. And, you're right, I will miss the old place.

Comment

• This isnt really necessary of course but just to say Ive moved in the last month and dont have my own PC yet (unlike before when I had use of a shared one) so cant update my recent photos etc = but still going up there and still taking lots of shots! Hopefully in a couple months I can afford my own one for home and resume normal service! Just in a netcafe now = hope everyone is well!!

Comment

• That means we have a whole bunch of new photos to look forward to. Save your pennies quickly please, Adam.

Comment

• Indeed! In the meantime, here are a few arty ones from my last couple of trips to the east end....

Mosque Minaret on Brick Lane
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosque Minaret.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	661938

Original tiling preserved in the newly refurbished Ten Bells pub.

Name:	Ten Bells Tiling.jpg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	661940

The arcade on Fashion Street.

Name:	Fashion Street Arcade.jpg
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	661937

An emergency stairway from Quaker Street down to the old disused Bishopsgate station.

Name:	Quaker Street Arch copy.jpg
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	661939

Boundary Passage, linking Shoreditch High Street with the site of the Old Nichol.

Name:	Boundary Passage.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	661936

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• Listen, Andrew. Just because you have a computer, a good camera, and an excellent eye, doesn't mean that you can come around this thread showing off your first-rate photos and.... Sorry, I got confused. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X