This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jake,

Good to hear from you. Should have spotted it about five years ago. Better late then never

Rob

Comment

• Thanks, Rob.

Ahh..don't be so hard on yerself..
      What's the guts of a decade between friends..

Good to see that you're still in top form!

/jake

Comment

• Lord Luukanen is alive!

I told you he was Rob.

Good to see you back Jake.....mail me, let me know how things are.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          Hi all.

Observer, there are other early buildings surviving in White's Row down the other end (18th century).

Cubitt, it's a total myth that Mary died in the area of the multi-storey car park, if that's what you mean.

If you look at the last photo from Observer above, look to the second white pillar from the left. Mary's head was where the kerb is now, in front of that pillar, and her body was lying roughly along that line, her feet being about near the right hand side of the broken kerbstone. Her head was facing away from us.

PHILIP
          Just out of curiousity, I wonder if the people who work there ever get a weird or eerie feeling or see ghosts in that place?

Comment

• Cubitt, it's a total myth that Mary died in the area of the multi-storey car park, if that's what you mean.
            Interestingly, I got told this on a tour a couple of years back, so it does seem a pervasive myth somehow or other. The same guide also had Eddowes being discovered on the site of the flower bed in 'Ripper's corner', rather than nearer the school back gate.

Comment

• Haven't posted any piccies for a while, so here are a few I came across recently. All are from 1971.

Whitechapel Road.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WhitechapelRd 1971 LMU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	659513

Goulston Street (outside what is today's Aldgate Exchange pub)

Name:	GoulstonStreet 1971 TubbyIsaacs LMU.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	659514

And one for Mr. Firth. The former Wickham's Department Store, Mile End Road. Spiegelhalter's was still Spiegelhalter's when this pic was taken.

Name:	MileEndRoad 1971 Whickhams LMU.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	659515

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                And one for Mr. Firth. The former Wickham's Department Store, Mile End Road. Spiegelhalter's was still Spiegelhalter's when this pic was taken.
                [ATTACH]9275[/ATTACH]
                They're great pictures John, thanks for posting them.

Actually, Spiegelhalter's was still going strong in April.

Well, in my imagination anyway....

Name:	wickhams spiegelhalter copy.jpg
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	659516

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

• All these photographs are amazing!! They are a real eye into the past and are of such great quality one can imagine being there. They are of different eras and help one in imagining the feelings and conditions present at the time!

Comment

• eastlondonhistory.com

A goldmine of articles here.

Just click on the blue titles.

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• 1932 Traders License

Back on page 45 of this thread, I posted a photo of Mr. and Mrs. Fisher in front of their umbrella shop at 45 Hanbury Street. To see it (click here)

The date of that photo was 1919. Here is the remainder of the caption from the 45 Hanbury St. photo at Museum of London:

Although the family anglicised their name to Fisher soon after their arrival, Juda and his wife Malka kept their Polish nationality. During the First World War, the Fishers moved to the more desirable area of Hackney and set up home at 123 Victoria Park Road. Their son Morris Fisher continued the family business but, by the 1930s, the Hanbury Street shop had closed. The premises were taken over by a tailor. Morris became a market trader operating a stall in the Whitechapel Road, selling rather than manufacturing umbrellas, walking sticks and handbags.

Apparently Morris moved right down the street and took a room nearby -

Name:	morristraderlicense1932.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	659540

Comment

• Some shots from my east end jaunt with John Bennett, taken over the past few days....

A couple of views of the board school building on Durward Street, as seen from Whitechapel station.

Name:	board school through circular window.jpg
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	659546

Name:	board school blurred.jpg
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	659545

A stone sign directing people to the back of St Mary's church, long gone...

Name:	st marys sign.jpg
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	659548

George Lusk's home at the time of the Whitechapel murders, 1 Tollet Street, off Alderney Road, Mile End. This is where the famous Lusk letter and kidney were delivered to...

Name:	lusk house tollet st alderney rd.jpg
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	659547

One of the Gunthorpe Street arch taken at about half past midnight.

Name:	gunthorpe south night.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	659549

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

• And some more pictures, this time all of them night shots. Thanks to Trevor Bond and his mate Andy for accompanying John and I around some of the more dodgy looking locations!

Now renamed Braithwaite Street, this is the former Wheler Street looking north, towards where the new Shoreditch High Street station is.

Name:	braithwaite street.jpg
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	659550

The illuminated minaret at the junction of Brick Lane and Fournier Street.

Name:	brick lane minaret.jpg
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	659551

The former police station on Commercial Street, complete with passing police vehicle light trails.

Name:	comm st police station.jpg
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	659552

Fournier Street looking east. Thanks to John Bennett's camera for creating the green light trails!

Name:	fournier street green.jpg
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	659553

A general view of Hanbury Street.

Name:	hanbury st night.jpg
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	659554

The Pedley Street arch at night. Green light trails courtesy of my iPod...

Name:	pedley st arch green.jpg
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	659555

A general view of Mitre Square at 3am from where George Morris was working on the night of the Eddowes murder.

Name:	mitre square 3am.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	659556

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

• Thanks for the terrific photos, Andrew! I don't think I've ever seen George Lusk's house before.

And Stephen, I found some really cool material on that East London History site you provided; thank you.

Cheers,
                            Archaic

Comment

• Brilliant shots as always Andrew! 3am in Mitre Sq!? Whats it like round there at that time? Do you ever get any hassle from oddballs? Police around much etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                                Brilliant shots as always Andrew! 3am in Mitre Sq!? Whats it like round there at that time? Do you ever get any hassle from oddballs? Police around much etc?
                                Adam,

I can honestly say that John and I had no hassle whatsoever around Mitre Square. 3am on a Wednesday morning is comparable with daytime on a Saturday or Sunday in much of the City; very much deserted. In fact, the only "hassle" of any kind was from a couple of reasonably friendly beggars on Brick Lane. Upon arrival back at the hotel, a couple of minutes walk from Mitre Square, I was struck by just how quiet the City is in the small hours. The early morning birdsong could be heard for example, and there was little in the way of traffic noise.

All the best
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X