Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this is the right JM, it might explain it. I could be wrong, but I've always assumed that this grave belongs to our McCarthys ("...of Spitalfields", brother Daniel, etc.).
    Attached Files

Comment

• It may be a bit hard to read because I squashed it down so much. It reads:

"ANNIE MURPHY, BELOVED SISTER OF JOHN McCARTHY, WHO DIED MARCH 9th 1903, AGED 38 YEARS."

Comment

• Here is the Lodging house register for 28 Thrawl Street:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrawlStreet 28.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	659475

It appears that this Anne McCarthy is not the same one on the memorial.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          Here is the Lodging house register for 28 Thrawl Street:

[ATTACH]9202[/ATTACH]

It appears that this Anne McCarthy is not the same one on the memorial.
          Hi John

I'm confused. I can't make head or tail of that register. Am I imagining a Daniel McCarthy at 36 Dorset Street on it? And crossed out too.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            It's a bit complicated Norma, in the 1891 Census there's a John McCarthy married to a Mary McCarthy and also a John McCarthy married to an Elizabeth McCarthy. The John and Elizabeth McCarthy are the ones that are there in 1901 so I presume they are the right ones.
            I'll see if I can find out anything about Annie McCarthy.

Rob
            Thanks Rob,
            Thats actually beginning to make sense now.Will keep a look out for this!
            Norma

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
              Hi John

I'm confused. I can't make head or tail of that register. Am I imagining a Daniel McCarthy at 36 Dorset Street on it? And crossed out too.
              No, Steve, you are right. What this means is that the first owner of the lodging house was Daniel McCarthy, from 16 June 1894. When Anne McCarthy took over on 30 Sept 1895, they crossed out the previous owner (as was the custom).

As it indicates, both Anne and Daniel lived at 36 Dorset Street.

On 24 June 1903, Anne was given a licence by the LCC to accommodate 173 lodgers at No.28.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28 Thrawl1888.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	659482

Comment

• This thread could easily be a website in itself. Awesome stuff.
                "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

• Excuse my newish-ness, John, by your map (Thrawl St) It appears the house numbering begins on the North at Brick Lane, proceeds westward until, I'm assuming, Commercial St., drops south, and proceeds back eastward again until ending at Brick Lane. Is this typical of London street numbering at the time? Is it even an accurate deduction? Would you have a scan showing the numbering of Thrawl, George, and Flower and Dean in their entirety?

Much Regards,

Rod

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    No, Steve, you are right. What this means is that the first owner of the lodging house was Daniel McCarthy, from 16 June 1894. When Anne McCarthy took over on 30 Sept 1895, they crossed out the previous owner (as was the custom).

As it indicates, both Anne and Daniel lived at 36 Dorset Street.

Thanks John, gotcha

So the Austin murder was at #35, there was another McCarthy chandlers shop at #36 where Daniel and Anne lived and Jack McCarthy 'owned' #37.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I have a question about Gunthorpe Street which might as well go on here as anywhere else- apologies as ever if it has been mentioned before. It may well make me look quite thick - but it has been bothering me for a while, and if nothing else then I am sure either John or Andrew or another kind soul will be able to put my mind at rest...

It has been said in many, many places that the only remaining contemporary part of Gunthorpe St is the (somewhat mysteriously) blue-painted wall section as for example shown very well in Past Traces. However, I have for some time had a vague memory of seeing a seemingly contemporary photograph in which the pointed-roofed building roughly opposite the car park for the old school building appeared, much as it does now. The other day, I finally came across either another copy of said image or at least a similar one, in Richard Jones' Casebook. Now, out of respect to Richard's research and hard work I am not going to post a scan of the photo, but I am sure many of you will have seen it or similar before. My query is simple - assuming this photo is contemporary to 1888, and not for example from the 1890's or 1900's with the buildings having been built in the interim, do we know for sure that these are not contemporary buildings? Have they perhaps been rebuilt to an earlier design?

I am sure the prevailing opinion is correct, and that a great deal of research must have gone into it already; however I am not quite sure how I would back it up if anyone was to question this building. Help, anyone?

Comment

• If you mean the photo on page 13 of Richard Jones's book, then I believe that was taken in the late 1960s. The pointed gabled end building was an early 20th Century construction I believe.

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                          If you mean the photo on page 13 of Richard Jones's book, then I believe that was taken in the late 1960s. The pointed gabled end building was an early 20th Century construction I believe.

All the best
                          Andrew
                          In fact, there's a picture of that part of the street as it used to be before construction of the gabled end building, on page 33 of the first edition of "The London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now" by Clack/Hutchinson.

Andrew

Comment

• Thanks Andrew - that is indeed the photo I mean, and must have been the one I saw before, too. Glad I checked! In my defence it has been 'fake aged' to fit with the rest of the page and that had caught me out.

Don't you just hate it when you can't think of the proper word for something? Gabled makes you sound so much more intelligent than my 'pointed'!

Comment

• Hi Trevor, Andrew

The photo on p13 of Richard Jones 'Casebook' is one of Stewart Evans' 1967 photo. The pointy building was built around 1900.
                              The only contemporary part of Gunthorpe Street is 'St George's residence' built in 1886. Also you could include the back of the White Hart and the building opposite, even though they have Whitechapel High Street address, they are in Gunthorpe Street.

Rob

Comment

• Rob,

Well done on finding the 1901 Dorset/Duval St illustration!

Thanks for posting it!

/jake

Comment

Working...
                                X