This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all,

Looking through ebay, I saw this old East End photo. c.1890.

Item No. 140373526030

I liked the look of it so I bought one. Anyway, thought I'd share this as there are still 3 copies left for those interested.

Here is the description.
    Reproduction print of a c1890 photograph showing some women & children outside a slum in the East End of London.
    This reproduction is taken from the original photograph, which was taken by an employee of the local council when they were deciding which of the slums to knock down.
    Reproduced on high quality glossy photographic paper.
    Size of the photographic paper is 15cm x 10cm (6 x 4 inches) with a white border around the image.
    (my emphasis)

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      I think it is the one in Bethnal Green, Stephen.
      Nice one, Rob

I'm pretty hip about East End areas but Bethnal Green confuses the hell out of me. I know where it's centred but I can't figure out where the boundaries are.

Come in Colin
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• A few pictures I took earlier this week around the east end...

Fashion Street as seen from the Commercial Street end.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Fashion St 0405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	659378

Gunthorpe Street with Christchurch Spitalfields in the distance.

Name:	Gunthorpe St Arch 0405.jpg
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	659379

The Princess Alice pub on Commercial Street.

Name:	Princess Alice.jpg
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	659380

Two views of Spital Yard near Bishopsgate.

Name:	Spital Yard 1.jpg
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	659381

Name:	Spital Yard 2.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	659382

Wentworth Street, looking west towards the City.

Name:	Wentworth Street 0405.jpg
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	659383

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

• Love the Fashion Street and Wentworth Street photos, Andrew. I must get myself a tripod! (because of course that's the only difference )

Where are those red lights on the Fashion St photo coming from? Something passing, or is it another layer?

Comment

• Originally posted by tnb View Post
            Love the Fashion Street and Wentworth Street photos, Andrew. I must get myself a tripod! (because of course that's the only difference )

Where are those red lights on the Fashion St photo coming from? Something passing, or is it another layer?
            Trevor, the red lights were the result of a passing cyclist who had a red flashing light on the back of his bike. Pure fluke, but I liked the effect. You'll notice the picture of the Princess Alice pub also has a dotted line of lights,but this time yellow. It was a passing AA van, that was responsible.

Andrew

Comment

• I'm starting to really hate you, Andrew. You probably have the best photographic eye I've yet encountered. Like Trevor, I think I'll go out and buy a small tripod...and also some talent, if they have any on offer.

Comment

• I had a question for either John Bennett, Philip "George" Hutchinson, Andrew Firth, or anyone else who regularly contributes to putting up photos of the East End on this board:

In your opinion, what area left over from JTR's times in the East End is really creepy and deserted at night, both the former murder sites and any other street in that area?
                I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                  I had a question for either John Bennett, Philip "George" Hutchinson, Andrew Firth, or anyone else who regularly contributes to putting up photos of the East End on this board:

In your opinion, what area left over from JTR's times in the East End is really creepy and deserted at night, both the former murder sites and any other street in that area?
                  You tend to find that most sites have lost their creepiness, particularly those nearest the City. The gentrification of Spitalfields has seen to that, and most places around Commercial Street are quite lively after dark, what with all the pubs and curry houses in the area. That said, I've always avoided the northern end of Gunthorpe Street near to the Flower & Dean estate.

While there are many deserted alleyways such as Abel's Buildings, that you wouldn't venture down at night, (except with a friend maybe), the one murder site where I still get a slight feeling of unease is here....

Name:	Durward Street 0405.jpg
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	659394

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

• Actually, I wouldn't fancy walking too far down here at night either...

Lolesworth Close, a short stub of the former Flower & Dean Street

Name:	Lolesworth Close.jpg
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	659396

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

I had a question for either John Bennett, Philip "George" Hutchinson, Andrew Firth, or anyone else who regularly contributes to putting up photos of the East End on this board:

Hi JTR

Quaker Street is a bit eeirie at night. As I took this photo, I remembered the words of Joseph Hyam Levy

"Look there, I don't like going home by myself when I see those characters about"

Jack returns home.

Name:	quaker street irfan1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	659397

all the best

Observer
                      Last edited by Observer; 05-09-2010, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• JTRSickert -

I completely agree with Andrew and Observer's suggestions thus far, particularly Andrew's regarding Lolesworth Close/ Flower and Dean walk, and also Durward St - there really is something creepy about the latter, despite the relative modernity of practically everything around you. Perhaps it is the quiet - you know you are directly behind a busy station, and barely a minute from an incredibly busy road (Whitechapel Road), and yet it is eerily still, particularly at night. I would say the same is true about Mitre Square actually, again despite the changes. Actually, at night, i find that often-flickering light in Mitre Passage really creepy. And I am a sucker for Gunthorpe St, again even though you know it is nowhere near as old as it seems. But unfortunately Andrew is right, there is very little in the Whitehapel/ Spitalfields area that is anywhere close to complete as it would have been in the LVP. The best you can ask for is usually part of a street where if you face in one direction and perhaps use your imagination a little you can glimpse just part of it.

On that basis I would add the south (Wentworth St) end of Toynbee St, and also Bell Lane looking towards Crispin Street and the far end of 'Dorset Street' (on your right). Abel's Buildings has already been mentioned. Finally, I love a good warehouse and so would say Backchurch Lane and Goodman's Stile are a bit unnerving when they are empty. There really is something odd about Wentworth Street when all the units are shut up, as Andrew's photo shows brilliantly - Toynbee Street plays off that too.

Just a few pictures to add:

1) This is a small courtyard not far from Mitre Square - I did write down the exact name, but unfortunately I mislaid it, and despite having searched the maps since I can't seem to locate exactly where it was. Someone may be able to help (Andrew?) otherwise I am going to be trying to locate it again next time I am down. Perhaps I shouldn't have spent quite so long in the White Hart prior to this particular wandering.

2) This is probably the creepiest building you will find still in one piece in the area - the former Mile End workhouse, then Southern Grove Hospital, now deserted.

3) Abel's buildings, as already mentioned. I wouldn't get my camera out down there at night...

4) St. George's in the East is quite a sight at night, too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hey thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

While looking at some of those pictures, I felt a slight chill go down me. If I was walking down those streets the way they look in those photos, I'd glance behind me every few minutes, just to make sure I didn't hear footsteps creeping up? I may even, as a precaution, ask into the darkness: "Jack, is that you?"
                          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hey thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

While looking at some of those pictures, I felt a slight chill go down me. If I was walking down those streets the way they look in those photos, I'd glance behind me every few minutes, just to make sure I didn't hear footsteps creeping up? I may even, as a precaution, ask into the darkness: "Jack, is that you?"
                            Hi JTR

Been looking at the various nightshots that I've taken over the years, and came accross a video I took ( might I add a very low grade one) of the Northern End of Gunthorpe Street complete with two very shady looking characters who were stood in the shadows. I am convinced that if my freind and I were not of an equally shady looking nature then there is a distinct possibility that we would have been accosted.

In retrospect, I think those two characters were aware of the significance of the location, and the fact that unsuspecting Ripper devotees visited the location with expensive cameras etc. It is the perfect place for muggings of this sort.

all the best

Observer

ps, I'd post the video if I could but the file size would prohibit me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                              [ATTACH]256[/ATTACH] Mary's grave at Leytonstone

[ATTACH]257[/ATTACH] The Ten Bells with some rather dodgy looking catalogue extras making a break for it!.....and it looks like reinforcements coming in to the right!!
                              Wow, look at the flowers on Mary's Grave. I guess even after all these years, people still think of her and feel bad for her horrific death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                                [ATTACH]258[/ATTACH] We all know where this is.....but OMG am being watched!!! (It's that ghost again!)
                                Actually, I'm new here and this doesn't look familiar. Where is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X