Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleased to hear that...It's been a few years since I've been back.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      Some recent photos I got hold of.

This is a better quality copy of Old Castle Street that appeared in our book. c1890

Rob
      Rob,

These are really nice photos, but I was wondering in which direction is the Old Castle Street picture taken? In other words, whereabouts would the Wash Houses be in this view? I'm presuming the sudden change in direction of the road/alley is the "dog leg" that is shown on maps about halfway up?

Cheers
      Andrew

Comment

• I THINK it's looking north....So just out of sight!

Comment

• Its him

Well guys, weve finally found him LOL
          Attached Files

Comment

• hulton getty images of eastend

Has anybody put on this thread the pictures that appear in the Hulton Getty picture library of the Whitechapel area? There's quite a few ranging from about 1880 to the 1970's, of course they are copywrited but we can still download the previews. There's some named streets and loads of unknown ones, most came from the Picture Post magazine and show the squalor and humanity in those streets in the edwardian period and the 20's and 30's. If not i'll post some, that is if i can do it right

Looking at them its interesting to see a lot of the street houses with shuttered windows, some still exist today methinks, but could this be one of the reasons for no witnesses to the Bucks Row and Hanbury St murders?

Its also interesting on a social level, - beer being sold thru an open window to passers by, - the massive crowd (mostly men) watching a street entertainer, - one family of 5 children all wearing scrappy home made clothes and nothing on their feet in 1912! and also the mixed race on the streets way back then. Fascinating stuff!

Chris

Comment

• The Old Castle Street photo is looking South. You can just see a tiny bit of the wash houses on the right past the first building.
              The murder site is obscured by the hoarding.

Rob

Comment

• Thanks Rob!

Now I know it's looking South, I can see how everything fits in with the street plan. I'd seen this pic in yours and Philip's book, but this is much better resolution.

Am I right in thinking that this is the only old photo of the area where Alice McKenzie was murdered? There are plenty of modern day views around, (and I've certainly taken a few!), but there seem to be very few taken in the late 19th or early 20th century.

I've always wanted to know what the southern end of the alley looked like when it was a covered passageway (a la Gunthorpe Street) !

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

• Hi Andrew,

That is the only one I know of. There are several of the northern end from around 1915.
                  There is this from about 1927 looking up from Whitechapel High Street but it doesn't give much idea of what it was like in 1889.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Alley 1927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	658497

All the best

Rob

Comment

• Lovely photographs, Rob. Sorry to be a pain, but would it be poss to touch up the photograph of Dorset St that can be found in the archive? A really sharp image of that would be fantastic.
                    Best wishes,
                    Sean.

Comment

• Doh!....I remembered where the wash-houses were,but somehow mentally reversed the polarity.........

Comment

• This possibly the best version of the Dorset Street photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorset Street c1900.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	658498

Rob

Comment

• Thanks for posting that photo Rob!

Again, I'd seen that image before, but hadn't noticed the reference point of the wash houses in the background.

Notice how the murder spot is once again cunningly obscured!

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

• It is a bit annoying isn't it. I don't think any of the buildings in the two photos were the ones that were there in 1889 and I'm beginning to think the one I thought was around 1890 may be a little later. Not that much later but around 1900ish.

Rob

Comment

• While I know it,that photo always brings home the sheer narrowness of Dorset st......IF Hutchinson saw anyone,it could be quite detailed...........
                              Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by chudmuskett View Post
                                Well guys, we've finally found him LOL
                                Hey, nice one Chuddy

Looks like the WEST End there, Regent Street and all that.

Great photo find though

That geezer looks well dodgy.
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X