This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Cazzikins-
    Have become disconbobulated here re the Greek reference- ! The literal translation of matrix into modern Greek is mesokytarios ousis istou...Not that that helps LOL!
    Reckon the Latin root is right- mind you there was a lot of the Greeks blaming on the Latins (!) and vice-versa (Latin!) wasn't there.....

Suz xxx (I never had the Latin for the judgin')

(He he- SERIOUSLY on thread this 'eh! :/)
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
      The literal translation of matrix into modern Greek is mesokytarios ousis istou...Not that that helps LOL!
      That helps loads, Suzi! Thanks. If the ancient Greek word had been anything like matrix it would hardly have evolved into that.

I was curious because matrix is so typically Latin and just doesn't look Greek.

Anyway, back to the East End and other bollards...

Love,

Caz
      XXX
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Sorry, my bad... of course it's Latin (ancient Latin, apparently - I just looked it up.) The Greek is "hysterikos" or something similar - which to me looks like it shares a common root with "uterus".

PS: It didn't occur to me that words in "-ix" (as opposed to "-us", "-a" and "-um") look like "typically" Latin nouns... then, on reflection, there's always peccatrix and dominatrix.
        If the ancient Greek word had been anything like matrix it would hardly have evolved into that
        Actually, there does seem to be a rather clear link between "matrix" and "mesokytarios", if you focus on the consonants:

Mesokytarios - MSKTR

Matrix - MTRKS

Anyhow, my point was that not a lot of people seemed to know that "matrix" meant "womb" until I pointed it out to them - which remains true, irrespective of whether I got the Latin/Greek mixed up.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hey, Sam, your missing bollards reappeared! Thank goodness.

Now it's Sarah's link to the bollard-supplier that has me confused... What in the world is a "Bendy Bollard"??

Almost sounds like a cartoon character, it seems like such a contradiction in terms.

Bollardmania 4-Ever!
          Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            Hey, Sam, your missing bollards reappeared!
            What a relief to us both!
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• what a load of...

Never mind bendy bollards, Archaic. What about Billy Bollard and Belinda Bollard; there's a sinister looking pair!

Comment

• Bendy bollards are the next frontier Archaic, didnt you know?!

Comment

• Bendy bollards - gotta be better than a wonky womb!

Comment

• or a leaning tower of pisa...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Sorry, my bad... of course it's Latin (ancient Latin, apparently - I just looked it up.) The Greek is "hysterikos" or something similar - which to me looks like it shares a common root with "uterus".
                      PS: It didn't occur to me that words in "-ix" (as opposed to "-us", "-a" and "-um") look like "typically" Latin nouns... then, on reflection, there's always peccatrix and dominatrix. Actually, there does seem to be a rather clear link between "matrix" and "mesokytarios", if you focus on the consonants:

Mesokytarios - MSKTR

Matrix - MTRKS

Anyhow, my point was that not a lot of people seemed to know that "matrix" meant "womb" until I pointed it out to them - which remains true, irrespective of whether I got the Latin/Greek mixed up.
                      Nicely acknowledged, Sam.

"Uterus" is also Latin, while the Greek is "hystera".

And it didn't occur to me that -ix would appear as anything other than Latin!

Cervix (neck), cervices (pl, motorway stopping points)

Appendix, appendices (a rash you get from a dirty writing implement)

Bollardix, bollardices (a rash you get on your...I'll get me coat)

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Hee hee hee. Caz said 'cervix'.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• It ain't funny

Comment

• reminds me a bit of when you say crocus (the flower) in plural...dont you say croci??? Not crocuses????

Or am I forgetting my 'school girl english' as I age...??

Comment

• CACTUS! worryingly- always makes me

Comment

• Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
                                reminds me a bit of when you say crocus (the flower) in plural...dont you say croci??? Not crocuses????

Or am I forgetting my 'school girl english' as I age...??
                                CROW Kai that's the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X