X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fattened them up for you:

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Can I have a sticker for the relief fund??? Pretty please?

or a pen...?
      Last edited by Nurse Sarah; 11-03-2009, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• I'm designing the official "Bollard Relief Fund" t-shirts right now...

How does this slogan sound?

"F*** the Whales- Save the Bollards!"

???

Comment

• Or

'DO mind the Bollards!'

Comment

• I don't think this one needs to worry too much. Needs a lick of paint though.

Lolesworth Close

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lolesworth Close.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	657990

Rob

Comment

• Sure that says 'DID of LONDON' in the background too!

Flattened with F L U here!!!- anyone else got the same- or is it just ME??????
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Rob, why is that bollard such a peculiar shape?

I like it very much, but it's almost cathedral-shaped instead of cannon-shaped.
                Looks rather ambitious, as if it hoped to grow up to be the pinnacle of the Chrysler Building!

Poor Suzi, sorry you have the flu, hope Diddles escaped the contagion.

> Maybe those of you who were at the conference & are now ill can have fun playing detective & figuring out which one of you was Typhoid Mary?

(That is, unless some crafty attendee pulled a Florence Maybrick?? I did notice that Sam doesn't seem to have gotten sick...hmmm...)

Comment

• I had no idea bollards could be so pretty! LOL, will be on the look out for some unusual ones next time Im in the capital and get some photos too...

PS Agreed Rob, she does need a coat of something...

Comment

• For Archaic - choose an Xmas present for yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      * I say "appropriately-named", because matrix is Greek for "womb". Not a lot of people know that... as I discovered when I mentioned it on the tour
                      Er, Sam. It's not Greek, it's Latin - from mater.

Uterus and matrix in Latin and hystera in Greek.

Love,

Classical Caz
                      XX
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Having been knee-deep in 1750's stuff recently,popped back here today for some relief from petty arguing on message boards about that era.....And spent the afternoon going back over 30 pages on this thread....feeling very relaxed now....
                        Steve

Comment

• Hi Cazzi-
                          Just about to collapse back in bed me- but Chambers says re MATRIX- (God I was behind one today -the car!- gave me a turn!).....

Matrix:-The cavity in which something is formed;embedded etc etc 'tis Greek-Matrix into Latin-Matrisez. I like the Greeks also refer to it as 'A thing on which a thing rests'... Hmmmm Matrix Court

Closely followed by Matron:'An elderly lady of staid and sober habits'
                          Xxx - That's US!!!
                          Last edited by Suzi; 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM.
                          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• >> Hey, Sam, someone swiped your bollards!

I was going to suggest that you consider opening the Flynn Clinic For Bollard Enhancement, but I just checked your post and they are gone!

Awfully low to steal a guy's bollards... my condolences.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• How very dare they!!

Any ransom demands yet for the stolen bollards????

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                                Hi Cazzi-
                                Just about to collapse back in bed me- but Chambers says re MATRIX- (God I was behind one today -the car!- gave me a turn!).....

Matrix:-The cavity in which something is formed;embedded etc etc 'tis Greek-Matrix into Latin-Matrisez. I like the Greeks also refer to it as 'A thing on which a thing rests'... Hmmmm Matrix Court

Closely followed by Matron:'An elderly lady of staid and sober habits'
                                Xxx - That's US!!!
                                It's all Greek to me then, Suzi. My latest Chambers says the word itself is straight from mater - and that's defo Latin. The OED online says the same - classical Latin.

Not a G word in sight. How curious.

Matrices (pronounced matriseez) is simply the plural of matrix.

Could you quote the 'Greek' reference?

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Last edited by caz; 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM.
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X