Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic pictures, i am keen to find out more about 'Clare Hall' 269 Stepney Way as I was the last licensee who lived and owned the building.
    Not sure if this is the best place to find info and especially old pictures, it says 'after it was rebuilt' where can i get information, so any advise would be great.
    Cheers,
    Trevor

Comment

• Some photos I took yesterday:

The old Bow Police Station in Bow Road, this was in use in 1888.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	old Bow Police Station.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	657666

The new Bow Police Station, a little further down the road.

Name:	new Bow Police Station.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	657667

The Bow Bells pub, reputedly haunted by the phantom flusher!

Name:	Bow Bells Pub.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	657668

The rear of Brown and Eagle Warehouse in 1968, Brady Street is in the distance.

Name:	cBrady Street in the distance 13 September 1968.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	657669

Brady Street 1982, the Roebuck is on the left.

Name:	cBrady Street 1982 01.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	657670

Brady Street 1990, looking towards Whitechapel Road. Winthrop Street is on the right.

Name:	cBrady Street 1990 02.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	657671

Ellen Street 1938

Name:	cEllen Street corner with Brunswick Street 1938.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	657672

and Winthrop Street 1968

Name:	cWinthrop Street 13 September 1968.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	657673

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by tbjdiamonddog View Post
        Fantastic pictures, i am keen to find out more about 'Clare Hall' 269 Stepney Way as I was the last licensee who lived and owned the building.
        Not sure if this is the best place to find info and especially old pictures, it says 'after it was rebuilt' where can i get information, so any advise would be great.
        Cheers,
        Trevor
        Hi Trevor,

You could try the London Metropolitan Archives as they hold a lot of Truman's stuff.

Rob

Comment

• Another one...

Here's my interpretation of the old St James' church which stood in Mitre Square on the site of todays playground of the Sir John Cass school. It's not perfect, but you get the idea!

Name:	St James Church photomontage.jpg
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	657678

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

• Rob,

Ellen street one...is it?

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Rob,

Ellen street one...is it?

Monty
              Nope. Just about to mail you.

Rob

Comment

• Rob,

Got it you scrubber.

Cheers

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Rob,

Got it you scrubber.

Cheers

Monty
                  That's it, tell the world

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                    That's it, tell the world

Rob
                    ...Tuppence a bag.... a couple and you could have 'ad a bed!!!
                    .....nice bonnet tho!
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Memories

thanks, everyone for a superb thread.
                      I lived at 5 Old Montague St when I was a medical student at the London 1969-73. I found your site Googling "Old Montague St" while Casualty 1909 was running.
                      When we first moved in, most of the buildings were empty but still standing; they were all demolished by the time we left. I was too poor to own a camera, so sadly no photos. Although the Archers was the nearest pub, we used to go down Wentworth St to the Bell, which for some reason we christened the Frank Sinatra!
                      I remember watching Gardner's store burning down; I stood outside the Whitechapel Gallery to watch; the fire was so fierce that the gallery and other buildings nearby began to smoulder.
                      To get to the London, we used to cut through Black Lion Yard. Students drank at the Good Samaritan (the Sammy) which was next to the students' union. Medical Staff drank at the Grave Maurice - the bleep system ran a loop round the pub, so that you could drink there on duty!
                      This thread, the photos and the comments have brought back a lot of fond memories. does anyone know what happened to the Kosher chicken factory just off Old Montague St?

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Montague View Post
                        Medical Staff drank at the Grave Maurice - the bleep system ran a loop round the pub, so that you could drink there on duty!
                        Sort of undermines your faith in the NHS, innit. I might have to think about changing my screen name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Montague View Post
                          Medical Staff drank at the Grave Maurice - the bleep system ran a loop round the pub
                          Thanks for censoring that expletive
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• 27 Fournier street: London dispensary for sale - interior shots here

Check this out for interior shots of 27 Fournier Street - the 'most important' house in the east end apparently
                            has some shots of the inside of it

http://londonbrickwork.blogspot.com/...talfields.html

Comment

• Hello. I had a question and this seemed like the closest thread here to be able to address it. Well ,actually 2 questions.

1. Was it crowded in London's East End at night in 1888 , esp. around the time of the murders? Were there a lot of people out on the streets (aside from the "unfortunates") or was it pretty quiet and deserted at around those hours?

2. What is the general "feel" of the East End today? I mean, I know it's been improved since the late 19th century, but, put it this way, is it a neighborhood where you'd feel safe walking around at night all alone or is it still a cautious area?

Thanks
                              I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• The BUZZ

Hi JTRSICKERT,
                                Spitalfields is a very small part of the East End, and now has an amazingly vibrant cafe society, art galleries, retro shops,restaurants etc and a rebuilt market selling food, vintage clothes, crafts etc.
                                It is very lively at night with loads going on,and cool young people hanging out.

The regeneration started with the rescue of the 18th weavers cottages in the 70s and 80s. They were rescued from demolition and restored by artists and archItects. As the artists moved in, to Spitalfields and Shoreditch, It became cool and the rich followed. The Spitalfields cottages are now worth millions.
                                Unfotunately as the area is now so hot, they are now demolishing unlisted, parts of the east end and building flats, hotels etc.
                                There are still working class people living in housing assiciation and council flats.The poorer areas of Brick Lane now have a strong Asian muslim feel instead of the Jewish feel it had forty years ago.
                                It is still a great place to walk around, but you get a sense of loss, so much has gone.
                                Aldgate East station is the best for Spitalfields
                                Miss Marple
                                Last edited by miss marple; 09-30-2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X