This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Andrew,

You seem to know London like the back of your hand but I notice you are based in Yorkshire. Are you a Londoner by birth? If I may say so, it's a little unusual for Yorkshire folk to display any fondness for London. You also seem to regularly post photos of London - so do you get down there often?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• Hi Andrew-
      Got your book today- fascinating!!!!
      Suzi x
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Limehouse,

I don't mind you asking at all! Yes, I live in Yorkshire, and I'm born and bred there, but I've always been fascinated with London. I would say it has to be my favourite place to visit, and so I tend to visit maybe seven or eight times a year on average.

I usually spend the first part of the day taking photos, usually of the east end, and then hit the few remaining music shops in London for my fix of unusual electronic music CDs in the afternoon.

I'm probably not your typical Yorkshire bloke anyway. I mean, I like countryside such as the Yorkshire Dales, but give me a trip to London any day!

Suzi, thanks for your comment! It would seem that John Bennett has set up a new thread for discussion of the book here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3097

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
          Limehouse,

I don't mind you asking at all! Yes, I live in Yorkshire, and I'm born and bred there, but I've always been fascinated with London. I would say it has to be my favourite place to visit, and so I tend to visit maybe seven or eight times a year on average.

I usually spend the first part of the day taking photos, usually of the east end, and then hit the few remaining music shops in London for my fix of unusual electronic music CDs in the afternoon.

I'm probably not your typical Yorkshire bloke anyway. I mean, I like countryside such as the Yorkshire Dales, but give me a trip to London any day!

Suzi, thanks for your comment! It would seem that John Bennett has set up a new thread for discussion of the book here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3097

All the best
          Andrew

Thanks for your reply Andrew. Your visits have certainly been fruitful judging from the excellent photographs you take. London and Yorkshire should be proud of you! As a Londoner (but one that has lived 100 miles from the city for 20 years or so) I really love the north - especially Yorkshire (I am a graduate of Sheffield University) as I find northerners warm and friendly and the service in shops and pubs is generally better than in London.

I noticed from your blog that you like Joy Division/New Order. I really liked those bands too but I'm not a fan of electronic music as such - I just like the rock/punk cross over - although my first love is classical music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
            I noticed from your blog that you like Joy Division/New Order. I really liked those bands too but I'm not a fan of electronic music as such - I just like the rock/punk cross over - although my first love is classical music.
            Ah, well the only classical I like tends to be Steve Reich and Phillip Glass!

Despite the fact that more and more music shops are closing down or going bankrupt, one of my favourite shops that survives is Rough Trade East, which conveniently for me, happens to be located just behind the Truman Hanbury & Buxton brewery, off Hanbury Street and Brick Lane!

It has a good coffee shop in there too, and somewhere to sit, in case you've been walking the streets of the east end with a camera too long, and need to rest!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Trade 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	657609

Name:	Rough Trade 2.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	657610

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• Goulston Street, early 1960s. This is where the 'covered market' is now. Brunswick Building and Wentworth Dwellings in the distance.

Name:	GoulstonStreet 1960.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	657612

Brady Street, c.1979. You can just make out the entrance to Winthrop Street and the Roebuck on the corner with Durward Street.

Name:	BradyStreet 1979.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	657613

Comment

• That photo of Brady Street reminds me of my first trip round all the JtR sites on New Years Eve 1993/4. Most, if not all of the buildings shown were still standing, and the entrance to Winthrop Street was also in situ. Durward Street was completely fenced off at the time, and so me and my friend had to walk down Winthrop Street towards the derelict Board School building, in order to get a view of the murder site. I remember we were followed by a prostitute looking for business but as soon as she heard us talking about Jack the Ripper and local history, she made herself scarce!

Two years later, I visited the same spot with another friend, and was amazed to see the entrance to Winthrop Street gone, and all the now familar flats built in the place of the Roebuck etc....

But that's progress for you!

Andrew

Comment

• Guys,

Does anyone recollect an Ice Cream parlor in Hanbury Street.

Theres an ex Leman Street Inspector I know who swears there was one but I aint so sure.

I do remember one but I dont think it was Hanbury Street way.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    Does anyone recollect an Ice Cream parlor in Hanbury Street.
                    Albert Cadoche... aka "Mr Drippy".
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• The very last few pics from my jaunt round the east end on 28th August....

Sandys Row Synagogue

Name:	Sandys Row Synagogue.jpg
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	657614

Sandys Row and Artillery Passage

Name:	sandys row artillery passage.jpg
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	657615

and again....

Name:	sandys row artillery passage2.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	657616

Fashion Street at dusk, as seen from Commercial Street

Name:	Fashion Street Dusk.jpg
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	657617

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

• What a fantastic read this thread is, I can spend hours just sifting through it.

Thanks to all that contributed.
                        My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• I second that, but I was just surprised to realize that the "a6 murder" thread is actually twice as long as this one!

Comment

• Hi Limehouse,

I'm startig my MSc course at the Un. of Sheffield next week. :-)

Best wishes,

Chris

Comment

• A few new photos taken last night (17th September)....

It's a mighty long walk to the end of the street and back on Plough St!

Name:	Plough Street.jpg
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	657625

Abel's Buildings looking south

Name:	Abels Buildings Night.jpg
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	657626

Chamber Street looking west from the Swallow Gardens archway

Name:	Chamber Street Night.jpg
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	657627

Pinchin Street, complete with flatscreen monitors in two of the windows of the well known arch....

Name:	Pinchin Street Night.jpg
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	657628

Goulston Street, looking north.

Name:	Goulston St Night.jpg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	657629

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by chris14 View Post
                                Hi Limehouse,

I'm startig my MSc course at the Un. of Sheffield next week. :-)

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Chris,

The very best of luck to you. Sheffield is a wonderful place in lots of ways - and the university provided a first class education and very fair and supportive feedback. I was going to do an MA there but opted for a PGCE at Nene instead (now University of Northampton).

Very best wishes to you.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X