Rob,

Im PMing you about that 1907 shot.

Cheers
    Monty
    PMing you back, and replying to your e-mails

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob

Just blew the 1897 picture up and noticed that the man sitting just to the left of the lamp is the spitting image of George Chapman.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
        Just blew the 1897 picture up and noticed that the man sitting just to the left of the lamp is the spitting image of George Chapman.
        And a strange character walking in the road.

Large woman or man in work apron?

Click image for larger version

Name:	aldgate east.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	656847
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Stephen

I'd plump for a large woman...plump...large, no terrible joke forget it

all the best

Observer

Comment

• ps, where was Chapman in 1897? Just had another look and the resemblance is quite strong

all the best Observer

Comment

• He was between Hastings and London busy poisoning his wife at the time and she died Christmas Day 1897..

Comment

• Hello

Chapman moved to Hastings in March 1896 and opened a barbershop in George Street,

In September 1897 Chapman returned to London and took the lease of the Prince of Wales public house, which was situated off City Road in Bartholomew Square.

Comment

• STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!! before this turns into a Chapman thread!

Comment

• Hi, I was working my way through this long & fascinating thread, and when I came to Post #1545 with the "Buck's Row" School Class Photo, it occurred to me that it was a c.1914 pic because of the inclusion of the photos of the military leaders. A page or two later I saw that Warspite has in fact identified them as General French & Admiral Jellicoe along with King George V... Which reinforces my initial idea that at least some of those little boys in the class photo must have had Fathers, older brothers, and neighbors off fighting in France- hence the patriotic photos of the military leaders were given "pride of place".

I found it particularly interesting that the photo of the King was not in the center, and that spot was instead given to the leader of the British Expeditionary Forces. (Or ought the King to be on the right-hand side for reasons of protocol?)

What do you think- was the School still open in 1914? And were they likely to have taken Class Photos in the Autumn, when the War would have been in its early stages? -Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      And a strange character walking in the road.

Large woman or man in work apron?

[ATTACH]5383[/ATTACH]
                      Joseph Merrick in drag.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        Joseph Merrick in drag.
                        Now that was genuinely funny, Sam .

Much appreciated.
                        Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 04-24-2009, 06:43 AM.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Archaic

My personal guess is that the photo was taken 1914-15. If earlier, then why should French be in there? Later, and French had been transferred.

Comment

• I agree Rob. As far as I know, Frenchie was commander of the BEF August1914 to Dec 1915 when he was replaced by Haig after a botched battle of Loos. Also Jellicoe went soonafter Jutland May1916, a better role model for the lads I think.
                            Love this thread.We really must all get together for a beer or two.

Comment

• Buck's Row School

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

What do you think- was the School still open in 1914? And were they likely to have taken Class Photos in the Autumn, when the War would have been in its early stages? -Thanks!
                              I was at the LMA last week and took the time to look back over the LCC Education Committee minutes. Thankfully they are indexed!

Anyway, the Board School was closed in 1915 following the completion of new premises on Vallance Road (now Robert Montefiore School).

The next time the Buck's Row School is mentioned is in 1918 when the committee were pondering a request from Schnieder's Cap Manufacturers (based at Essex Wharf) who wanted to use the old school as a warehouse/factory for the duration of the war. Obviously, that wouldn't have been very long by then.

JB

Comment

• Just found something interesting regarding this photograph. John Williams the man accused of the Ratcliff Highway murders was buried at this crossroad, (Cable Street, Cannon Street Road ). His body was found in 1886 when a gas main was being fixed, it had a stake through the heart region of his carcass. The landlord of public house in the Photo the Crown and Dolphin kept the head as a souvenier.

all the best

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable street crop2 irfan.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	656884

Comment

Working...
                                X