Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry the Hawker View Post
    Perhaps whoever was in the dark alley doing his evil deed heard the pony & cart coming down Berner's Street, but had no reason to assume it would pull into Dutfield's Yard - what are the odds? In which case, it would only be when he heard it slowling to enter the yard that this possibility might strike him, just giving him time to flit into the shadows...
    Hi Harry

Below is what Diemschutz said at the inquest :

A Juror; Was it possible for anybody to leave the yard between the discovery of the body and the arrival of the police?
    Witness: Oh, yes - or, rather, it would have been possible before I informed the members of the club, not afterwards.
    [Coroner] When you entered the yard, if any person had run out you would have seen them in the dark? - Oh, yes, it was light enough for that. It was dark in the gateway, but not so dark further in the yard.

Personally, I`m with Fisherman in that the killer had just gone when Diemschutz turned into Berner St.

Has anyone else wondered what Diemschutz was doing when P.C. Lamb found him behind the stage in the concert room when he was searching the club ?

Comment

• I've seen some very good ideas and insights here from people who aren't even out of high school yet so I think the level and number of degrees you have is pretty much immaterial in this context.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Has anyone suggested otherwise, Stan? I mean seriously? I sincerely hope not, because I for one left school at 17 with only O levels to prop up what I write.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

Has anyone else wondered what Diemschutz was doing when P.C. Lamb found him behind the stage in the concert room when he was searching the club ?
          Looking for his horse?
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Just a/ some!- thoughts-

OK The International Workingmen's Educational Club on that evening (Do we know the evening's programme??) was obviously very busy with speakers,singers,musicians,and obviously people- probably women bustling back and fore- making/serving beverages,sweetmeats etc and I'm quite sure there was a lot of bustling in and out of that door maybe to have a wee (or whatever) in that yard...I don't know whether the IWEC had facililities!..Mind you if it was that busy who wants to join a queue when the speakers/musicians weren't to be missed!

Now! If there was this bustle going on up and down the stairs and in and out of the kitchen area-what's to stop our man joining the in and outs and actually being upstairs when the alarm was raised!

I seem to recall also that Diemschutz thought 'the body' may have be his wife in a state of 'disrepair' at first!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now if we start to paint this scenario that would mean that 'our man' was a regular/or someone who didn't stand out at the IWEC...I don't know why I haven't thought about this before..but it does make some sort of sense having been to places such as this re Folk Clubs etc in the '70's etc when the main place was bustling -there were a lot of ins and outs-people weeing outside and a lot of stair work going on- That goes on at the WS1888 meetings of course with us smokers heading up and down the stairs for a cig!!!

Sorry but the image is sort of interesting...

Suz x

Just some thoughts
            Last edited by Suzi; 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
              Has anyone suggested otherwise, Stan? I mean seriously? I sincerely hope not, because I for one left school at 17 with only O levels to prop up what I write.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Have a nice weekend

Stan Reid

Comment

• Ooooooooooooh Gawd

Stan-
                Look I taught Art for 24 yrs with a B.Ed does that say something about me? Right my idea of the evening interests me tho'.........

Suzi x

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                  Stan-
                  Look I taught Art for 24 yrs with a B.Ed does that say something about me? Right my idea of the evening interests me tho'.........

Suzi x
                  You must be having a bad day. I hope it all works out for you.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Cats or guns, people?

(Not criticising anyone here!)

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Three women attacking me, don't I love all the attention.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        You must be having a bad day. I hope it all works out for you.
                        Have had a GREAT day actually!!! (He he ACTUALLY!) and Hey!!!! It's Friday!!!

Comment

• All three x

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            Cats or guns, people?

(Not criticising anyone here!)

PHILIP
                            Cats DEFO Right- back to my idea???

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              Looking for his horse?
                              I think you`re thinking of Brian Potter, Mike.

Comment

• Tick Tock

Well,I didn't get to see the photo as I was ill at the time and tho' I'm disappointed after waiting 35 odd years I think I can wait awhile longer and see the hi res version and read all the story behind it and make my own mind up about it all.
                                If you read this Phil,all the best and I'll look forward to the book
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X