No announcement yet.

Whitechapel map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Sam. I mistakenly thought that it would be marked Police Station, certain PS's are.

The reason I wanted to know it's location is due to the fact that I've been reading Paul Beggs book again, in which he makes the valid point that if Eddowes informed the desk sergeant that she would get a fine hiding when she got home, home being Fashion street, then why did she turn left on leaving the staion instead of turning right.

It's important to remember of course that she was in fact spinning a yarn.

all the best

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
      Thanks for that Sam. I mistakenly thought that it would be marked Police Station, certain PS's are.

The reason I wanted to know it's location is due to the fact that I've been reading Paul Beggs book again, in which he makes the valid point that if Eddowes informed the desk sergeant that she would get a fine hiding when she got home, home being Fashion street, then why did she turn left on leaving the staion instead of turning right.

It's important to remember of course that she was in fact spinning a yarn.

all the best

Observer
      It is also important to remember that the info may be just wrong! Even today many people confuse left and right (including my father who certainly isn't stupid!! but is left handed). We don''t know the layout of the station, many Police Stations, today and then, have several entrances and Eddowes may have left from the back which would necessitate turning left then right into Woodgate Street.

Paula

Comment

A sensible observation, Paula.

All: Please note that this is a general thread about maps of Whitechapel on the "General Discussion" board.

I'd suggest that if anyone wishes to further discuss Eddowes' movements, they should do so by opening a thread on the "Victims/Catherine Eddowes" board.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Bishopsgate Police Station, January 1887. And in colour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bishopsgate Police Station January 1887.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	654524

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            Bishopsgate Police Station, January 1887. And in colour.
            Thanks, Rob. Just to put the Goad map you posted in the context (and orientation!) of the O/S map, I've rotated it and put it alongside a similar section of my earlier image, to approximately the same scale. Police Station = red circle in O/S map, red block in Goad:

Name:	bishopsgate-nick-os_goad.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	654525

It appears that some of the buildings had been knocked down between 1887 (Goad) and 1894 (O/S). Am I right?
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Gareth,

I don't think any of the building had been knocked down. The image you posted is a bit unclear. I've attached a higher resolution one which I think clears it up a bit.

Name:	Bishopsgate Police Station1894.jpg
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	654526

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Hi Gareth,

I don't think any of the building had been knocked down. The image you posted is a bit unclear. I've attached a higher resolution one which I think clears it up a bit
                Thanks Rob - I forgot that I shrunk the original!
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thanks Sam for your help.

Okay so I was looking to see if asylums were in the Whitechapel area. Nothing was marked. I know that some workhouses had "idiots" too. I found a Hoxton House, a Peckham, they took paupers that were insane. Does anyone or can anyone tell me what if any places for the mentally insane were around the area if not in the area? Surely they would have something close?
                  I also found this webpage, but because I am unfamiliar with the geography of London it doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks everyone.

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/WWW/STUDY/4_13_Ta.htm#London
                  "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Forgot, also infirmaries in London and also Wales. Casebook doesn't have maps that list these does it? I know I can see London Hospital on one of the maps.

Sorry to post again but I forgot to ask, and it's helping me tremendously. I'm trying to trace a few things and verify places (the infirmaries) for this time period. Around certain areas

One last thing, do the infirmaries give a list of people who were there? Again sorry to be a pain in the arse, but it's new to me.

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Hi Blackkat

You may find this site useful

Comment

Hi Kat
                        Originally posted by Blackkat View Post
                        Does anyone or can anyone tell me what if any places for the mentally insane were around the area if not in the area? Surely they would have something close?
                        Based on the link you provided, there were some asylums at hand, but they were comparatively small affairs, such as Hoxton House, or a little more "exclusive", such as Brooke House in Hackney. I don't think either of these appear on the O/S map, but they were probably located only 2 or 3 miles away from the "heart" of Whitechapel.

Many of Whitechapel's mentally ill were sent to Colney Hatch Asylum, which was about 10 miles to the north of Spitalfields, or to Banstead Asylum, almost 15 miles to the southwest. "Idiots" or "imbeciles" were often sent to Darenth Asylum, near Dartford, about 20 miles southeast.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I'm not familiar with the areas or where they would have been since they aren't on the maps, but this gives me a good place to start. Gracias

Comment

A bit late in the day, but thanks to Rob for posting the detailed plan of Bishopgate Street police station.

Observer

Comment

Thanks for excellent map work and the related web sites.

Bethnal House private asylum was nearby to Whitechapel. From British History Online: Bethnal House lunatic asylum opened as a private madhouse in Kirby's Castle between its lease to Matthew Wright in 1726 and the escape of Alexander Cruden (d. 1770), compiler of a biblical concordance, who sued Wright for false imprisonment, in 1738. The building, extended and by 1777 stuccoed and called the White House, in 1800 was purchased by Thomas Warburton, who already owned a more select asylum in Hackney. Like other private asylums, Warburton's housed paupers paid for by their parish. It had 300 inmates, costing 9s. 6d.-10s. a head a week, in 1815 and 933, of whom 654 were paupers, in 1829-1830. By 1831 Warburton had built the Red House for men, the White House thereafter being for women only. Abuses were reported although the presence of two resident medical officers after 1828 led to some improvement. The Red House was enlarged and the White House was rebuilt in the 1840s. Bethnal Green asylum housed 614 people, 558 of them inmates, in 1851. It had 410 beds in 1892, a new block for men from 1896, and 203 inmates and 60 staff in 1901. The asylum closed in 1920.

Located at the intersection of Bethnal Green and Cambridge Rd, not far north of Whitechapel Road and London Hospital.

Name:	stan40n1b.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	654544
                              Sink the Bismark

Comment

OMG!!!! THANK YOU!!!! Where did you find this? You rock! Or else I need to point my signature sign at myself. This so helps me! TY TY TY

Comment

Working...
                                X