No announcement yet.

Where was White Street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost like a name known among the local populace but never officially labled in such a way.
    Hull has High Street which was split in two to make way for Alfred Gelder Street. The smaller length was officially named "Little High Street" but is known locally as High Street still.

There are some streets named on maps but also known locally by other names due to the names of pubs or types of workplace that originated there.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi all
      It's unmarked here... oddly ...but in the same place!! (From Phillips (not Philip's) Street Atlas London)
      Attached Files
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Isn't Coke Street were Danielle Westbrook used to live?
        Regards Mike

Comment

Interesting stuff here...found this one though on my trawls which could explain it all!!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	fly1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	654276

Seriously quick getaway!!! and a damned good 'disguise'...just posin' for a Marc Chagal paintin' mister! Otherwise known as ' Inapropriateman is inapropriate !'..or 'One Legged Man hops it with willing Floosie over the rooftops of London's East End' !--- clumsy but oddly (!) accurate!!

Or-Supergirl's 1888 early trials went badly wrong- but when the killer shoes got too close for comfort she remained calm!!

LOL

Suz xx
          Last edited by Suzi; 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            H e he half heartedly...or half nasally I may have to agree!

Comment

and of course that must be 'Thumbs up for Len' Fairclough Street AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!! NO!!

Comment

Sorry- where were we....and more to the point where was/is White Street?
                Last edited by Suzi; 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Almost like a name known among the local populace but never officially labled in such a way.
                  Hull has High Street which was split in two to make way for Alfred Gelder Street. The smaller length was officially named "Little High Street" but is known locally as High Street still.

There are some streets named on maps but also known locally by other names due to the names of pubs or types of workplace that originated there.

That's what I was wondering. If you look at the Gen Docs site, the street index shows a fair number of White Streets, just not quite in the right area. There's one at Bethnal Green Road. (or there was in 1871 and 1888) There was one in the City, at Cripplegate Without.

What map/maps are you all using for the JTR era? Sounds like a composite of different ones. I've been using those on the Vict. Dict. site. and what I've been able to find on this site.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I use Godfrey Editions "Whitechapel, Spitalfields and the Bank" from 1873 and 1894.
                    I also have Godfrey Editions covering all of Kingston upon Hull for differing periods.
                    Whilst in Islington I picked up Highbury and Islington 1871/1894/1914 and Upper Holloway for the same periods, these are for my research into Stephenson.

Regards Mike

Comment

Excellent, Mike. Thank you!

Best,

Cel
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

The Godfrey maps are great but Alan is against anyone copying his works!! He is a noce bloke though and if you email the company he will contact you direct.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

I used the 1900 Street Map of London which I downloaded from:

Sadly, it has no street index.

That web site is a good source for maps and other interesting information.

Bulldog

Comment

Hi Bulldog,

That looks like a good source. Thanks.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll email him. Don't blame anyone for trying to protect their work.

Comment

OK...I'm pretty sure that it's one of the 2/3 here...names change and an approximation may be the closest that we can get (approximately!!!) LOL

Suz xx

Comment

Take a look at this one. You have to scroll down the page a little bit, then you'll see a plat of Commercial with White St! You all probably have already seen this, but it's interesting, and I thought it would be nice to have it here. I'm uncertain as to the date of this map. Someone here will probably know.

Comment

Working...
                                X