Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    Hi Pierre,

I don't accept your basic premise. Assuming the GSG was written by JtR, I can't imagine him wandering around Whitechapel looking for the most appropriate surface to write on. And, after all, diffuse or not the message was clearly fully readable, so the writer's objective had been achieved.
    If he did not wander around looking for appropriate things, how did he find Kelly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      All the original sources for people in 1888 who could not read the GSG.
      How could it represent an effective communication for someone who couldn't read it?

Comment

If he did not wander around looking for appropriate things, how did he find Kelly?
        I thought he always knew she could be found in Millers Court. "Quarter of a mile" remember?

Comment

How do you know he was specifically looking for Kelly? If he knew her, he probably knew were to find her.
          Last edited by John G; 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=John G;394805]

And, after all, diffuse or not the message was clearly fully readable, so the writer's objective had been achieved.
            But they made errors when reading it.

And the police could not understand it.

Comment

How do you know he was specifically looking for Kelly? If he kneww her, he probably knew were to find her.
              And if he knew her, how did he come to Whitechapel in the first place, so that he could know her?

Just because you, or someone else (even myself), does not understand what happened, it doesn´t mean it did not happen.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;394815]
                Originally posted by John G View Post

Were they meant to? Maybe he just liked puzzle's and thought he'd set them a conundrum. Maybe he was just playing games, i.e. trying to show the police how clever he was.And why do I now have a sense of deja vu?
                Last edited by John G; 10-07-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  I thought he always knew she could be found in Millers Court. "Quarter of a mile" remember?
                  "Always"?

Comment

I think you meant to say that they made errors when transcribing it.

But this had nothing to do with the blurring Swanson mentioned.

Comment

And if he knew her, how did he come to Whitechapel in the first place, so that he could know her?

Just because you, or someone else (even myself), does not understand what happened, it doesn´t mean it did not happen.
                      He might have been in Whitechapel first. Anyway, on what basis do you hypothesize thst he came to Whitechapel to find Kelly?

Comment

• [QUOTE=John G;394817]
                        Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Were they meant to? Maybe he just liked puzzle's and thought he'd set them a conundrum. Maybe he was just playing games, i.e. trying to show the police how clever he was.
                        Yes, he did all that, but not just that. There was a recipient for his communication who could understand everything he communicated.

Comment

"Always"?
                          You pick up on "always" but not on the notion that "Quarter of a mile" means "Millers Court"???!!!

Comment

How could it represent an effective communication for someone who couldn't read it?
                            You asked me for a source.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;394821]
                              Originally posted by John G View Post

Yes, he did all that, but not just that. There was a recipient for his communication who could understand everything he communicated.
                              Who?

Comment

There was a recipient for his communication who could understand everything he communicated.
                                Believe me Pierre when I tell you that this is one more person than the number of people who understand everything you communicate.

Comment

Working...
                                X