No announcement yet.

Sergeant Stephen White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analysing two well-written "fictional"(?) JTR pieces.

Recently, the BBC told of the discovery of a JTR document discovered amongst the papers of a writer of children's tales, which purported to be the Memoir of a " James Carnac" telling of his activities as the Real Jack.
    See the James Carnac thread for the link.

Paul Begg has opined that whilst the writings are obviously fiction ( and no-one has alleged otherwise), they are well written and appear well-researched.

I am wondering if any journalists or wordsmiths among us might get the best copy of the Carnac Memoir and the Steve White 'THE PEOPLE's JOURNAL' obituary, and analyse them to see just where the writers might have obtained their facts.
    This would go some way to assisting us in our assessment of their worth or significance.

If Paul Begg and Martin Fido and Stewart P Evans wanted to do so, that would be even better. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Opps! A Bit of " Foot In Mouth " there..

Sorry all you prospective examiners of James Carnac and Steve White's Dundee writings about JTR.

I did not mean to insult people by saying the three honchos were prefereable.
      ("Even better").

I note in "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook" ( by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner) at page 533, on the occasion of the Pinchin Street Torso murder, on the 10th September, 1889, Inspector Reid assigned a detective sergeant to search the Railway arches for clues. That Sergeant was " P.S. White".

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hello all,

Can anyone point me towards the book or article in which Stewart P Evans addresses Stephen White's alleged sighting in Mitre Sq? I have not come across it, but the man himself seems pretty confident that he debunks the entire event in it; I am myself quite interested in the event, and indeed White's role in the whole investigation, and would very much like to have a proper look at 'the case for the opposition'.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr
          If Paul Begg and Martin Fido and Stewart P Evans wanted to do so, that would be even better.
          I don't think Martin Fido would want to find himself standing between those two gentlemen. LOL.

tnb,

Stephen White did not see anyone who might have been the murderer. He was in fact a police sergeant with H Division and is best known for his involvement in the Matthew Packer affair. According to A-Z he was promoted to Inspector in 1894, however I have clippings referring to an Inspector White in 1891.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I got this news report yesterday.

The East London Observer, Saturday 11 May 1901

Click image for larger version

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	659569

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 02.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	659570

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 03.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	659571

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 04.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	659572

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 05.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	659573

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 06.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	659574

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 07.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	659575

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 08.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	659576

Name:	cb Stephen White East London Observer Saturday 11 May 1901 09.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	659577

Rob

Comment

Well done on tracking the story down, Rob!
              I knew you would find it eventually.

It's quite complicated isn't it? Sounds to have been a bit of a history between White and Inspector Boustred. I wonder what the story there was?

Comment

Thanks Debs, it's an interesting piece. It does sound as if Stephen White may have been hard done by. I'll see if I can track down what the problem was.

Rob

Comment

What a stitch up. Ex-policeman has a few jars and gets home without bothering anybody then gets beaten up on his own doorstep by a serving policeman who he's had previous problems with and who just happens to be standing there.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Very harsh wasn't it. The pub is still there. Never been in there it looked a bit rough when I've been passed it.

Name:	cbThe Peacock 2006.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	659579

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob

Nice photo of White's pub. Where exactly is it?

I see Senrab Street is still there but I suppose the original houses are gone.

Really like your image stitching on the photo thread by the way

Comment

• Hi Stephen,

39 Senrad Street is still there (empty last time I passed). It is quite a nice street, in fact some of the streets next to it are nice to walk through. The next street to it is Dunelm Street and that was originally Fair Street where the pub is.

I've marked in green 39 Senrad Street. In red is The Peacock and I've also marked in blue Thames Police Court and Arbour Square Police Station most of which is still there (there was some rebuilding due to bomb damage). The last time I was past The police buildings there was hoarding around it, so I don't know if it is due for demolition or conversion. Probably demolition. As you can see, everything is pretty close together.

Name:	Senrad Street 1914.jpg
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	659582

39 Senrad Street 2006 (red car is parked outside number 39)

Name:	39 Senrad Street.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	659583

Senrad Street 2009

Name:	Senrad Street 2009.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	659584

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          39 Senrad Street is still there
                          Just a small point - it's Senrab Street, isn't it? ("Barnes" backwards, I assume.)

Comment

• Thanks for taking all that trouble there, Rob.

The map and photos really bring this story to life.

All the best

Comment

• Thanks Chris your quite right. It's not the first time I've done that (hopefully the last).

Rob

Comment

• It's a very interesting story, by the way. I wonder why Boustred was White's "old enemy".

Comment

Working...
                                X