Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Swanson marginalia - a new interpretation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
    Below, is a link to a thread started by AP Wolf, who found and posted Littlechild's annotations on these boards in 2005.
    It's interesting that Littlechild BOTH signs and initializes. Thank you so much for the link to the old thread, Hunter.
    As for Wickerman's idea about a policeman plus a Jew as the witnesses in question, I wonder what SPE and Paul Begg will have to say about this suggestion. (I've pulled an all nighter, finishing 3 projects and working on a 4th, and I don't think I'm in a state to ponder about another matter presently.)
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

So what do we know about the marginalia? It was written as an annotation, and was not shared with anybody. That is it.

We can make some assumptions, which are possible or probable, but not proof; if the comments are self serving then they serve only as an aid to memory. A selfserving lie would be of no use and make little sense.

Any mistakings are far from being "glaring" because that would assume we knew what prompted the jotting, or indeed what memory it was meant to prompt. It is as likely that all details are correct except the name of Kosminski, as it is that the name is correct and every other detail blunderingly wrong. Alternatively there may be a Kosminski unknown to us locked away in mental institution (or home?) outside of the expected destinations for a Whitechappel madman (somewhere by the sea?) That may never be discovered.

All speculation is equally flawed to anybody but swanson.
      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Except for this:

If the tale originates with Swanson then it is not entirely private.

Sure the finer details about the Seaside Home and so on -- the desperate pantomime by the suspect and witness -- and that the suspect was deceased, but it is still self-serving for the public as it was disseminated via Anderson since 1895.

With the tale adding a positive i.d. in 1910, without which 'Kosminski', probably Aaron Kosminski, was an harmless imbecile who was not sectioned until over two years after the Kelly murder and yet a few days before the Coles murder.

Arguably Evans and Rumbelow provide a compelling theory as to how the witness i.d. came about, and it did not involve Kosminski being 'confronted' by anybody.

Which, arguably, leaves the Polish Jew suspect at the same status as his non-appearance in Mac's memoirs -- as nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          First, the Clarendon Villas address was not the first location for a police convalescent home. My point was this police witness (whoever he was) may have been admitted prior to 1890, he was already convalescing before Kosminski was brought to see him.
          There were other P.C.'s in Berner St. who arrived at the murder scene before William Smith returned on his beat. I don't like to limit the scope to one specific PC, it's just that Smith is the obvious choice, then there's PC Lamb, PC Collins.
          And yes, it could even be PC Harvey on the City force.
          As far as I know, there was no earlier institution for which it could be argued (as it is argued for Clarendon Villas) that when a police officer wrote "Seaside Home" he must have meant that institution.

Regarding the possibility of the officer's convalescence beginning earlier than 1890, I think he would still have to show up in these records, because detached sick leave was recommended for an initial period and then periodically extended as required (2 months is the longest I have noted either for the initial period or for an extension).

I did make a list of all the officers for whom sick leave was recommended (or extended) during this period; if anyone is interested to have a copy I can send them one. There is no mention of Lamb or Collins either. Unfortunately only Metropolitan Police officers are covered, not those from the City of London Police.

Comment

One other point that may or may not be significant - Anderson's reference to an identification taking place when the suspect was "caged in an asylum" is only in the Blackwood's Magazine serialisation, not the book version (which of course is what Swanson annotated).

It may be that he realised this was incorrect when he revised the account, or there may have been another reason for removing the reference (though no obvious alternative explanation springs to mind at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              One other point that may or may not be significant - Anderson's reference to an identification taking place when the suspect was "caged in an asylum" is only in the Blackwood's Magazine serialisation, not the book version (which of course is what Swanson annotated).
              Wow, I had forgotten about this! Curious to see how it's discussed in Rob House's book (which I suspect arrived at my post office, as I received a notification yesterday).
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

Anderson may have removed it because Anderson dimly realized he was getting himself into a hopeless pickle.

A suspect who was already sectioned could not be arrested, let alone charged. A witness identification, more-over a 'confrontation' rather than a line-up, was very dodgy.

What did it matter that the witness refused to testify if this is Ripper who was already in a madhouse. What did it matter if he acted as if he had been recognized. In fact, what did it matter if he confessed ...?

I have always thought that the phrase used, 'safely caged', is a slip that the Polish Jew was safe from the police who did not have police-state laws which still lingered in the French republic.

Yet Anderson's 'mistake' brings his self-serving tale, for the first time, closer to the timeline of the real Kosminski who was not sectioned until Feb 1891, and, within a short time a Ripper suspect (Sadler) was 'confront'ed' by a Jewish witness who refused to affirm (see: Evans and Rumbelow, 2006)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                  from the police who did not have police-state laws which still lingered in the French republic.
                  Right. I feel really bad for dis-remembering, but who was it who allegedly said that the Ripper crimes would have been solved if committed in France? A police official? Many apologies for asking.
                  PS.:
                  Quote SPE:
                  It may well be imagined how {Anderson} received the contemporary press reports from American sources that stated if the Ripper was operating in the USA he would have soon been caught.
                  Last edited by mariab; 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                    Right. I feel really bad for dis-remembering, but who was it who allegedly said that the Ripper crimes would have been solved if committed in France? A police official? Many apologies for asking.
                    .[/B]
                    Do you mean apart from Anderson?

Pirate

Comment

• So it was Anderson then who said that the case would have been solved if investigated by the French police? In The Lighter side of my official life? (Which I've perused but not really read yet.) And yet he kept comparing the American police system unfavorably to the British one?
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
                        So it was Anderson then who said that the case would have been solved if investigated by the French police? In The Lighter side of my official life? (Which I've perused but not really read yet.) And yet he kept comparing the American police system unfavorably to the British one?
                        No, Maria. He was remarking that the British police were often unfavourably compared to foreign forces like the French police, but that critics forgot that the British worked within far tighter constraints than their foreign counterparts, most particularly if they arrested a suspect they had to bring charges before a magistrate within a specific period or release the suspect, whereas the French police could hold on to a suspect almost indefinitely whilst they conducted their investigations. In both cases the police would have made an arrest in the belief that the man was guilty, and the French police could have held on to the suspect while they worked up a case, whereas the British police had to release their suspect, who could then do a runner. be certified, kill themselves, or other put themselves beyond their reach. The British police therefore looked less successful than their foreign counterparts.

Comment

• Oh, and it was the New York police who apparently said that they'd have caught Jack the Ripper, which was just hot air and I suspect Anderson would have known it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                            whereas the French police could hold on to a suspect almost indefinitely whilst they conducted their investigations.
                            Of this I'm obviously aware.

Thank you so much, Mr. Begg, for clarifying the context of this quote by Anderson.
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                              Except for this:

If the tale originates with Swanson then it is not entirely private.

Sure the finer details about the Seaside Home and so on -- the desperate pantomime by the suspect and witness -- and that the suspect was deceased, but it is still self-serving for the public as it was disseminated via Anderson since 1895.

With the tale adding a positive i.d. in 1910, without which 'Kosminski', probably Aaron Kosminski, was an harmless imbecile who was not sectioned until over two years after the Kelly murder and yet a few days before the Coles murder.

Arguably Evans and Rumbelow provide a compelling theory as to how the witness i.d. came about, and it did not involve Kosminski being 'confronted' by anybody.

Which, arguably, leaves the Polish Jew suspect at the same status as his non-appearance in Mac's memoirs -- as nothing.
                              The story being from another source does not mean the notes were anything but entirely private. If they are accurate or not they were written as only a short aid to memory and we have no evidence on which to base the assumption that any particular detailis wrong.we have simply no way of knowing what memory was intended to be jogged. Your speculation that Evans and Rumblow are correct is no more or less likely than, for example Mr Fido suggesting that all the details are correct except the name and Cohen was the man.

When I scribble notes on books for training courses or the like, i do not expect anybody to read those notes and see the full picture I am holding in my head. They are an aid to kickstart the grey cells, no more. We can be sure Swanson had a reason, correct or not, for making the notation, but can not pretend they are more useful than that. We can only state that a self serving lie makes little sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                                Oh, and it was the New York police who apparently said that they'd have caught Jack the Ripper, which was just hot air and I suspect Anderson would have known it.
                                If I were a cynic, I would make a joke here that they would certainly have found somebody tocharge, even if it wasn't the Ripper. But I'm too nice to crack wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X