c.d.
    Quarantines got that effect on a guy.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    I plough a lonely furrow.

Sad but somehow erotic. Go figure.

c.d.
    Last edited by c.d.; 04-23-2020, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• packers stem
    replied
    Kosminsky literature appears at regular intervals ....... table runners a little less frequently
    Very apt as Kosminsky was a literary character in a popular 1892 work of fiction depicting the life of poor east enders.
    Had the marginalia read "Fagin was his name....." the roars of incredulity would have been deafening

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi RJ,

Thanks for asking.

Nada. Not a post, not an email, not a letter, not even a semaphore flash.

Nor any reaction to my pointing out SRA's various porkies in TLSOMOL.

I plough a lonely furrow.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Hi Simon

I'll light a fire under my backside.

Let me just suggest, for the time being, that I strongly suspect that James Monro's private review of The Lighter Side of My Official Life was not as favorable as Swanson's, but the marginalia would have made for far juicier reading. My belief is that Monro's memoranda existed and it was in response to certain impressions left by Robert Anderson.

If I may ask, has anyone ever responded to your observation about the penciled inscription "from Fred" in Swanson's copy of TLSOMFO? (Deconstructing Jack, p. 199) I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Cheers. RP

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi RJ,

Christopher Monro can only be talking about the family rumour. Not its substance.

So hit me with your explanation. I've got nothing else to do for the rest of this year, and probably beyond. I'll mail you some beer tokens.

Hope you're staying well.

Simon

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Scott,

If Christopher Monro was telling the truth, and there's no reason to believe otherwise, I would suggest that James Monro—just like Anderson, Macnaghten, "Swanson" and Abberline—was merely keeping the Ripper pot boiling.

Hope you're well.

Regards,

Simon
    Privately, to his son, from the jungles of Bengal? The explanation doesn't seem very likely, Simon. Propaganda without publicity is pointless.

I've worked it out, but I can't adequately explain it in under 200 pages and three pints.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Scott,

If Christopher Monro was telling the truth, and there's no reason to believe otherwise, I would suggest that James Monro—just like Anderson, Macnaghten, "Swanson" and Abberline—was merely keeping the Ripper pot boiling.

Hope you're well.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    Take your best guess Abby.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Occam's Razor or reductio ad absurdum? I don't understand what is being suggested.

Why would Monro need to write a "highly private memoranda" if only to state that he had no idea who the murderer was?

What purpose would such a document serve, and why the need to keep it private? He'd merely be saying what most people already believed anyway, and what had already been said in public by Major Smith, Reid, and Abberline. Why would such a statement be a "hot potato"?

The explanation makes no sense, does it?

hi rj
    cd was responding to my post:

The ripper case was a de facto hot potato-famous, frustrating, unsolved, pressure on the police, especially higher ups-helped settle the hash of warren. no need for it to refer to conspiracies, royal connection, high society etc. it was a hot potato for what it was- ahigh profile unsolved murder series.
    so I take it that monro was saying the case was a hot potato in itself (so no need to invoke conspiracies). I wasnt really commenting on whether he named anyone or not, although I agree-he probably had someone in mind. but probably not prince albert, police or those of that ilk.

are there any hints at who Monro might have had in mind anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Occam's Razor or reductio ad absurdum? I don't understand what is being suggested.

Why would Monro need to write a "highly private memoranda" if only to state that he had no idea who the murderer was?

What purpose would such a document serve, and why the need to keep it private? He'd merely be saying what most people already believed anyway, and what had already been said in public by Major Smith, Reid, and Abberline. Why would such a statement be a "hot potato"?

I think RJ that the "hot potato" doesn't necessarily mean that he had an individuals name in mind. Maybe he referred to goings on that the killer or killers were likely linked with.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Yep. If we look to Occam's Razor this would seem to be the correct answer.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    The ripper case was a de facto hot potato-famous, frustrating, unsolved, pressure on the police, especially higher ups-helped settle the hash of warren. no need for it to refer to conspiracies, royal connection, high society etc. it was a hot potato for what it was- ahigh profile unsolved murder series.
    Yep. If we look to Occam's Razor this would seem to be the correct answer.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    There is nothing to suggest that Christopher Monro was being anything less than truthful.

But he was relating a fifty-year-old story which, by his own account, originated in unseen documents whose very existence was uncertain.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X