No announcement yet.

Seaside Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The history is clear...one must not voice individual or disagreeable opinion on these message boards.

I simply disagree with Philips stance...well on almost everything

Largely because I'm interested in the Facts
    Well god knows my own manners are far from perfect sometimes...but...oh well...

Dave

Comment

Familiarity

To me: THE Seaside Home speaks of the home most familiar to Swanson.
      I have to say, this makes sense to me...the Seaside Home was clearly an obvious reference to Swanson...yet not entirely to us umpty ump years later...

Dave

Comment

point

Hello Rob. Try this.

"He was born in Russia. With much difficulty he wrote great music. After his sixth symphony he died. Tchaikovski was the composer."

See what I mean? Doesn't work EVEN as a private memo. I prefer Jeff's word, "bizarre."

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

It is hard for me to believe that people even entertain the thought that this is added on as a "forged" addition. You seem to be suggesting that the only part of the marginalia that is faked is this last sentence, or phrase, "Kosminski was the suspect." Is that correct? Or are you suggesting that the entire thing is a fraud?

RH

Comment

interpolation

Hello Rob. Let me just say the last bit (4 words) looks like an interpolation.

Of course, that view did not originate with me.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

My pre-decimal grandmother would have said that the interpolation was about as genuine as a nine-bob note.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                Hello Paul,

I again thank you for responding. I believe you to be a busy man and time given in reply and composition is always to be respected.
                No actually- not a jot of regret. Why should I? It was a pleasant meeting and chat. It was polite and friendly. I enjoyed it.

You may respond as you see fit- to anyone. It is not for me to judge what is 'utter rubbish' and 'la la' in your posts. I obviously haven't the scholarly aptitude to enable me to reach such levels of opinion.

I will however reserve the individual right to judge this 'potentially important source' as I see fit- unscholarly thought or not, having listened, read and absorbed all points of view including your own for 25 years, I will stand by my view of the item in question.

The Seaside Home comment in these annotations is in my humble opinion full of holes. Others can make their own mind up about it. Their way. Which, rightly or wrongly, they can do if they so wish.

Kindly

Phil
                Phil,
                You are entitled to your point of view. There's no question about that. That's established now, so you don't have to say it anymore.

Okay, so it's your point of view that the marginalia is "worthless" because the story it tells is not corroborated in the official files. But does that point of view actually hold water, should it be treated seriously, or is it based on faulty thinking and be disregarded? Can one seriously draw any meaningful conclusion about the marginalia because its story is not corroborated in a very incomplete set of documents which nary mention any suspects at all? If you think it can, pray do enlighten us as to why.

You don' have to, of course. You can just claim it is your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                  I have to say, this makes sense to me...the Seaside Home was clearly an obvious reference to Swanson...yet not entirely to us umpty ump years later...

Dave
                  The reference was perfectly clear to Donald Rumbelow when he first saw the marginalia, who observed that to policemen then and now "Seaside Home" meant the Convalescent Police Seaside Home, and that, insofar as one can tell, appears to be the case. Alternatives were considered, in particular independent, not exclusively police, convalescent homes used by the police, but the context of "the Seaside Home" indicated a specific, easily identifiable place, which keeps throwing it back on what Don initially said. Anyway, the point is that it did make instant sense to people today, albeit only policemen.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Rob. Try this.

"He was born in Russia. With much difficulty he wrote great music. After his sixth symphony he died. Tchaikovski was the composer."

See what I mean? Doesn't work EVEN as a private memo. I prefer Jeff's word, "bizarre."

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hi Lynn. You think it was written by a "bizarre" forger ?

Comment

Hello Rob. Let me just say the last bit (4 words) looks like an interpolation.

Of course, that view did not originate with me.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Well, that presents a problem as there would only be a relatively narrow window when it was likely to have been added, namely after the name "Kosminski" entered the public domain and the date Jim Swanson contacted the News of the World. And it was a fairly perceptive act, too, since nobody had made a connection between Macnaghten's "Kosminski" and Anderson's suspect until the publication of Martin Fido's book in 1987, which was after Jim had made contact with the NotW. And prior to Martin the leading Ripper authority, Don, had made a very strong argument for Anderson's suspect being Pizer. So anyone adding that annotation flew in the face of the leading and most easily accessible authority, and made a link nobody had at that time made. And, of course, neither of the handwriting experts who've examined the document has isolated those words and suggested they were written by someone else. Overall, though, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference if they were written by someone else; the substance of the story - that there was a suspect, witness, and positive identification - would still stand, and the connected with Kosminski, made by Martin before the marginalia was known about, would still stand.

Comment

wrong place

Hello Simon. Splendid.

My sainted mum had a similar expression about items that did not belong. Something about "Mammary appendages on a boar hog." (Expurgated version.)

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

adjectivally speaking

Hello David. Umm, misplaced modifier?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

agreement

Hello Mr. Begg.

"the substance of the story - that there was a suspect, witness, and positive identification - would still stand"

Indeed.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hello Rob. Try this.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              I think you need to keep an eye on the fact that Swanson was a life long policeman used to making such marginalia.

It might seem a little bizarre but then I'm not a 19th Century police officer...To be honest a lot of Dickens and Shakespeares language seems a little bizarre.

There are other examples of Swanson writing this way.

Yours Jeff
                              Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

annotations

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

Yes. I have an extensive library and most of my books are heavily annotated. In them, I might find something like:

"At this point, in order to achieve epistemic certainty, he needs to engage in hyperbolical doubt. If he can find one thing beyond doubt, he has gained his point."

What will NOT be found is:

"At this point, in order to achieve epistemic certainty, he needs to engage in hyperbolical doubt. If he can find one thing beyond doubt, he has gained his point. Descartes was the philosopher."

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X