Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello Paul,

You are entitled to your views. I am entitled to mine. You are correct. Files ARE missing. But we cannot assume Kosminky had a file on the basis of the Marginalia. Nor on the memoranda either. Nor upon Andersons unamed Polish jew.

Yes. Much is missing. We do not know exactly what.
    The Seaside Home account, which is what this thread is about, has no support from any official viewpoint and has holes all through it, that is fact too, not an excuse from this side either. On that non-scholarly point I will stay. Unsubstantiated, uncorroberrated and as such in my personal opinion, little more than an interesting story lacking in detailed facts.

Thank you for your views and your response.

Kindly

Phil
    Phil
    Sorry, this is not about "views". You can express anything you like, that's your right and I'll support that unto death, but quite frankly the arguments you are advancing are rubbish. Utter rubbish. Everyone and their mother knows to marginalia story lacks corroboration in the official files, but as nothing in the least meaningful can be drawn from that because the files are horrendously incomplete, it's a pointless argument, like claiming that Tumblety was never a suspect because it's not corroborated in the files. Nor was Druitt. Nor was Cutbush. None of them are mentioned in the files.

I don't thank you for your views and responses, Phil. If they carried some substance then I would, you're a nice guy, you've bought me a few beers, which you probably now regret, but the fact is that you can't discard a potentially important source because it isn't corroborated by the vastly depleted files. That's just not on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
      Well thats not quite true. We know that some documents are missing as we have other references to them.

Swanson's Home Office Report fore instance relating to the Berner Street witness Schwartz.

We know Swanson took a statement from Schwartz but it has not survived. So there are all sorts of stuff we know existed. Sargent thick talked of hundreds of statements taken ? Where are they?

In short almost nothing has survived. And you appear to be making the case that because so much is missing we can draw a conclussion from that?

It doesnt make sense.

Sometimes in life our 'lot' is simply what we have..

Yours Jeff
      Actually, Jeff, what Phil is arguing is that the marginalia story is "worthless" because it lacks corroboration in the files. Your argument is that no conclusion can be drawn from that because most of the files are missing. Your argument is spot on, Phil's is la la. Hopefully everyone can and does see see that and this thread won't degenerate into pointless argument any further. It doesn't help advance our understanding one jot.

Comment

Sorry Gov...your the boss...Jx

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
          All rational evidence points to the fact that Swanson indeed wrote the Marginalia, only the odd crackpot thinks otherwise.
          Well not quite, Jeff

Obviously Swanson wrote the main body of it with all that Seaside Home stuff that you couldn't make up but the bit at the end actually naming Kosminsky could conceivably have been written by A.N.Other.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

interpolation

Hello Stephen. If that were so, it would explain why that last fragment looks grammatically like an interpolation.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Why grammatically, Lynn?
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

essay

Hello Stephen. Short answer? Try reading it straight off from beginning to end. Now imagine a college essay written like that.

Grade?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                  Phil
                  Sorry, this is not about "views". You can express anything you like, that's your right and I'll support that unto death, but quite frankly the arguments you are advancing are rubbish. Utter rubbish. Everyone and their mother knows to marginalia story lacks corroboration in the official files, but as nothing in the least meaningful can be drawn from that because the files are horrendously incomplete, it's a pointless argument, like claiming that Tumblety was never a suspect because it's not corroborated in the files. Nor was Druitt. Nor was Cutbush. None of them are mentioned in the files.

I don't thank you for your views and responses, Phil. If they carried some substance then I would, you're a nice guy, you've bought me a few beers, which you probably now regret, but the fact is that you can't discard a potentially important source because it isn't corroborated by the vastly depleted files. That's just not on.
                  Hello Paul,

I again thank you for responding. I believe you to be a busy man and time given in reply and composition is always to be respected.
                  No actually- not a jot of regret. Why should I? It was a pleasant meeting and chat. It was polite and friendly. I enjoyed it.

You may respond as you see fit- to anyone. It is not for me to judge what is 'utter rubbish' and 'la la' in your posts. I obviously haven't the scholarly aptitude to enable me to reach such levels of opinion.

I will however reserve the individual right to judge this 'potentially important source' as I see fit- unscholarly thought or not, having listened, read and absorbed all points of view including your own for 25 years, I will stand by my view of the item in question.

The Seaside Home comment in these annotations is in my humble opinion full of holes. Others can make their own mind up about it. Their way. Which, rightly or wrongly, they can do if they so wish.

Kindly

Phil
                  Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-19-2012, 01:00 AM.
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    Hello Paul,
                    The Seaside Home comment in these annotations is in my humble opinion full of holes. Others can make their own mind up about it. Their way. Which, rightly or wrongly, they can do if they so wish.

Kindly

Phil
                    We've been over this on hundreds of occasions?

Can you simply make your objections simple, clear and easy to respond too?

YOurs Jeff

Comment

Balance

Actually Jeff, to be fair, I thought it was a clear, dignified and perfectly reasonable response...I might well disagree with some of Phil's conclusions but I would on no account abuse them...let's be honest, why should he make it easy for someone to attack him?

All the best
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                        Actually Jeff, to be fair, I thought it was a clear, dignified and perfectly reasonable response...I might well disagree with some of Phil's conclusions but I would on no account abuse them...let's be honest, why should he make it easy for someone to attack him?

All the best
                        Dave
                        Long History...if you want ,my voice silenced then experience tells me you only have to ask

Jeff Leahy
                        Producer/director

Comment

Long History...if you want ,my voice silenced then experience tells me you only have to ask
                          Sorry Jeff?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello Stephen. Short answer? Try reading it straight off from beginning to end. Now imagine a college essay written like that.

Grade?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            I often make notes to myself, in notebooks, on scraps of paper. I do not typically write these in the same style which I would write a "college essay". Your comment is pointless.

RH

Comment

Sorry Jeff?

Dave
                              The history is clear...one must not voice individual or disagreeable opinion on these message boards.

I simply disagree with Philips stance...well on almost everything

Largely because I'm interested in the Facts

Jeff

Comment

I know...It's the whole distance thing that makes me doubtful of Hove, Brighton or indeed Ovingdean...did you know the Mile End Workhouse had a Seaside Home in Herne Bay? Shame it was for convalescent children...and, therefore, would only really work if the witness was working there....

In fact, IF Swanson wrote the marginalia, and IF he got it right, the only way this works is if the WITNESS was stuck (either by employment or residence) in a home of some description...otherwise why not confront the suspect with the witness in some discreet office in the workhouse itself...it's not as if they're short of a room or two...

Dave
                                My reading of: "on return to his brother's house" is that he was living/staying with his brother when sent to the ID.

And this may relate to the difficulty Swanson described: how easy would it have been to march into someone's home and demand they take a resident for an ID? The family may not have been too happy about it. And Anderson speaks of the limited police powers in that age.

To me: THE Seaside Home speaks of the home most familiar to Swanson.
                                Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; 03-19-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X