Seaside Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sacked

Hello Jason, Bridewell. We know that Harvey was sacked. But that's not necessarily disgraced?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello (again) Bridewell.

"He would be considered a Jew if his mother was Jewish."

Perhaps, more to the point, "Did Anderson THINK him Jewish?"

Cheers.
      LC
      Judaism is matrilineal, but Christianity is patrilineal. In an interfaith marriage in that era, when the wife was subservient to the husband, the child would be considered (and raised) Christian. Anyone self-identifying as Christian would not be considered Jewish, no matter his parentage.

The only people historically who concede to matrilineal Judaism are Jews. You don't get a lot of people telling Christians that they aren't Christians because their mother was a Jew. Except the Nazis. But even the Klan doesn't do that. I guess they just chalk it up to a victory.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• mistaken

Hello Errata. Quite true.

My point was that Sir Robert may have believed the witness Jewish and have been completely mistaken.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

"He would be considered a Jew if his mother was Jewish."

Perhaps, more to the point, "Did Anderson THINK him Jewish?"

Hello Lynn

What has Anderson got to do with this?

The City policeman and Seaside Home stuff are from Macnaghton and Swanson respectively. Anderson mentions neither.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• recognised

Hello Stephen. I was picking up on Dr. Anderson's tale that the witness recognised the suspect, but being Jewish . . .

It is sometimes thought that the Seaside Home business (Swanson) is the same event.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Surmise

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Bridewell. Very interesting theory.

I suppose it entails that Harvey fibbed about not seeing anyone?

Cheers.
              LC
              Pure surmise on my part, but yes.

Regards, Bridewell.
              Last edited by Bridewell; 04-01-2012, 10:56 PM.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• I have to wonder if this "City PC" witness was not a misremembering of Robert Sagar's story, which may have existed in his nightly report no longer extanct.

Regards, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• sack

Hello Bridewell. Thanks. I can live with that.

Any good speculation about his sacking?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hello Stephen. I was picking up on Dr. Anderson's tale that the witness recognised the suspect, but being Jewish . . .
                    Hello Lynn

I think 'Sir Robert' supercedes 'Dr Anderson'.

Where, please, does Anderson mention the Jew on Jew identification?

I had thought that this only appeared in the 1940s biography written by a family member.

Comment

• same?

Hello Stephen. I thought it was in the "Blackwood's" piece from 1910. It caused a real fracas in the Jewish community when he said he was not given up because he was Jewish.

I recognise that the tale has distinctive features outside the "Marginalia" but it was my understanding that supporters were identifying these 2 pronouncements with one another.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Stephen. I thought it was in the "Blackwood's" piece from 1910.
                        No it wasn't, Lynn, nor anywhere else to my knowlege.

Comment

• Harvey

OMG...

Harvey was born in Ashbourne (or Ashboureham, or something like that, I working from memory here)

Before joining the force Harvey worked in...wait for it....Brighton.

Infact, the City Police asked the Brighton force to obtain a reference from his previous employer.

Also, Harvey lived in Temple Walk, a spit from Druitt at Kings Bench walk. Could this be the sighting?

Its all falling into place.

By the way, Harveys dismissal is noted in the order books, along with numerous others, some of which have their records missing.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Stephen,

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                            Where, please, does Anderson mention the Jew on Jew identification?
                            it was indeed in the article in Blackwood's Magazine where Anderson mentioned it for the first time (quotes taken from JTR sourcebook, 2001 paperback, pg. 691):

"[...] And the conclusion we came to was that he and his people were low-class Jews, for it is a remarkable fact that the people of that class in the East End will not give up one of their number to Gentile justice. [...]"

In a footnote he added:

"[...] I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever a good view of the murderer at once identified him, but when he learned that the suspect was a fellow-Jew he declined to swear to him.".

This led to a stern reply by a columnist called Mentor of the Jewish Chronicle a few days later.

Regards,

Boris
                            Last edited by bolo; 04-02-2012, 02:09 AM.
                            ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

• Harvey was born in Ashbourne (or Ashboureham, or something like that, I working from memory here)

Before joining the force Harvey worked in...wait for it....Brighton.
                              Hi Monty...I think he was born in Ashburnham which is in East Sussex out Catsfield way....it's not that far from Battle...Rother area anyway...Oi be a Sussex lad with a Lunnon mother!

Dave

Comment

• That's the one Dave.

Its all in Rob and my article.

Monty
                                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                                X