Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A first....

You are correct
    Well bugger me Trevor, that's the first time anyone's ever said that to me on the boards so far!

LOL

Dave

Comment

• Good double posting there Phil...you're not on the Hobgoblin (at a fiver a bottle where you are!) too are you?

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Well bugger me Trevor, that's the first time anyone's ever said that to me on the boards so far!

LOL

Dave
        Clearly you have the aptitude for sensible and logical reasoning and the ability to sit and look at things in many different ways

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Hi Phil

But this was such a high profile case (with the press, especially the Star and the Pall Mall Gazette whipping up such pressure) they probably felt they simply HAD to get a result - any result - as quickly as possible...

The Police as a whole were not as secure then as they are today...many were still harking back to the days before the police force (hence why the detective force were a dirty underhand word, and the military drilling of PCs was criticised)...they were, therefore, probably very vulnerable too, and sensitive of, such criticism...

Bugger me...the glass is empty again...My incipient alcoholism is all your fault Phil!

All the best

Dave
          Hello Dave,

You are correct about the Police with how they were regarded.
          Our grandparents told us much on that subject!

Two in a row!

Best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

• Clearly you have the aptitude for sensible and logical reasoning and the ability to sit and look at things in many different ways
            After a few pints, flattery will get you anywhere (well almost!) Trevor.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              Hello Jon,

err,,,just how much did Swanson get wrong then?
              Because I would deem such information from anyone as unreliable. Place misremembered as well?
              Hi Phil.
              After all the debates concerning the Anderson Witness on both forums over how many years?, I think there is no easy solution. Both Anderson & Swanson were writing years after the events, memoirs are very unreliable with respect to the specifics.
              What they recall in general may be based on facts, but the specifics are lost in time.

PS. Why do it there anyway? There's a police station only yards away! Leman St was good enough f6r Pizer?
              I entirely agree!

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Lynn,
                In answer to your post (600)perhaps the following might help.The crimes were common law crimes of murder,therefor investigations had to be carried out with that in mind,and as Trevor has pointed out,e ach police officer would have acted,at all times,with the realiseation that anything he did might be answerable in a court of law.This applied especially in recording evidence,which in 1888 or thereabouts,consisted mainly recording in written reports.So accepting that,it can reasonably be held that if an identification did take place,and grounds established that there was a clear case of guilt against any person,it would have been recorded in writing.Further to that,I would expect that the officers concerned,would have interogated the suspect,and placed him under arrest,had such a situation existed.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                  Lynn,
                  In answer to your post (600)perhaps the following might help.The crimes were common law crimes of murder,therefor investigations had to be carried out with that in mind,and as Trevor has pointed out,e ach police officer would have acted,at all times,with the realiseation that anything he did might be answerable in a court of law.This applied especially in recording evidence,which in 1888 or thereabouts,consisted mainly recording in written reports.So accepting that,it can reasonably be held that if an identification did take place,and grounds established that there was a clear case of guilt against any person,it would have been recorded in writing.Further to that,I would expect that the officers concerned,would have interogated the suspect,and placed him under arrest,had such a situation existed.
                  Harry
                  You are quite correct its nice to know we are singing from tne same songsheet.

Comment

• Trevor,
                    We certainly do,though there are some here who might think my throat is a little hoarse with age.Now a question.Would the reports go in the Stride file.or in the Eddowes file, and there be sealed from all other eyes?

Comment

• arrest

Hello Harry. Thanks.

But if there is some process of identification underway, would that not be subsequent to an arrest? In other words, he would already have been arrested?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• I think the (handy & non-specific) phrase was "taken into custody"

Dave

Comment

• moot

Hello Dave. Thanks. Then his being placed under arrest is moot.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                            Hello Dave,

Then one would be totting up an awful string of caveats and ifs?

We would have to assume:-

5) That nobody, ever, whispered a word, not even a hand me down story

Best wishes

Phil
                            Hi Phil,

What are the Swanson Marginalia, if not a hand-me-down story?

Some may consider them unreliable, but they do exist!

Regards, Bridewell.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hello Dave. Thanks. Then his being placed under arrest is moot.
                              As I understand it (and I may well be wrong) formal arrest is legally quite a big step...it has to be demonstrably legal for example as it places restrictions on the rights of a citizen...I'm not sure what the late 19th century situation was, but it might be that he was "assisting the police with their enquiries"...or some such equivalent...

Dave

Comment

• informal

Hello Dave. Thanks.

Then the "meeting" was informal after all?

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X