The Aberconway Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Abby N,

Didn't Twitty once do a version with some Swedes?

I think it's the Abba-Conway version.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Hi GM
      Can you post the Conway Twitty version also? It definitely has some Americanisms.
      Abby,

It disturbs me that you would make a mockery of this long-lost document and its provenance.

But, the Grand Old Opry has many old documents lying around. I'll see what I can do.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

• Ally:

I admire your dog-like devotion to friends and your pit-bull defense of those whom you feel need your protection. Loyalty like that should be commended, no matter what the cost. However, the rabid-like attacks with bared teeth and loud snarls look more like a desire for blood (an instinct going back to the earliest breeds of mongrels) than anything else. Some of your barks are well taken, others more like howls of frustration. I love dogs, have shared my life with many over the years. I have occasionally come across a few strange ones who were threatening or unfriendly. In such rare cases, I never show fear or allow myself to be intimidated. You're not the only one stirring the pot here, but you're the most forthright and logical, the one who could perhaps settle things down if only you were a tad more objective and less adversarial. I am not defending Trevor or excusing his misdomeanors - he doesn't need that from me, any more than the A-to-Z authors need it from you. I simply do not like to see anyone subject to mob attack, whatever the reason, whatever the supposed justification. Your obvious desire is to nail someone to the wall. Fine, if that's what makes your day. My hope was to calm things down and at least try to bring some objectivity into this. With some, I can see that is a waste of time. So if you want to turn this into a shooting gallery, hey take your best shots. I'm out of here.

John
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
          Ally:

I admire your dog-like devotion to friends and your pit-bull defense of those whom you feel need your protection. Loyalty like that should be commended, no matter what the cost. However, the rabid-like attacks with bared teeth and loud snarls look more like a desire for blood (an instinct going back to the earliest breeds of mongrels) than anything else. Some of your barks are well taken, others more like howls of frustration. I love dogs, have shared my life with many over the years. I have occasionally come across a few strange ones who were threatening or unfriendly. In such rare cases, I never show fear or allow myself to be intimidated. You're not the only one stirring the pot here, but you're the most forthright and logical, the one who could perhaps settle things down if only you were a tad more objective and less adversarial. I am not defending Trevor or excusing his misdomeanors - he doesn't need that from me, any more than the A-to-Z authors need it from you. I simply do not like to see anyone subject to mob attack, whatever the reason, whatever the supposed justification. Your obvious desire is to nail someone to the wall. Fine, if that's what makes your day. My hope was to calm things down and at least try to bring some objectivity into this. With some, I can see that is a waste of time. So if you want to turn this into a shooting gallery, hey take your best shots. I'm out of here.

John

Well interesting. So much for your pleas for civility and fair play. It is interesting to note that the first person to resort to insults between us is the one who decries the lack of civility in others.

I find it interesting that you consider me to be the one lacking in objectivity, when you are defending the one person on the thread who has behaved in a manner contrary to the standards of behavior you say you wish to see.

I also find it interesting, that any time logic and reason backs one of your ilk into a corner, suddenly, they are the rabid, snarling ones. Please point out precisely where I have snarled, barked or howled at you? I think you will find there is not a single instance on this thread, so your chihuahua like attacks are not only misplaced, but completely laughable.

And for the record, anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the history of myself and certain authors of the A-Z would know that you saying I am dog-like in defense of my "friends" is probably the most hysterical, and ill-informed statement you have made in a long string of them. The fact that I am defending the A-Z authors should tell most people that in this instance, they are clearly in the right.

You did not answer a single question put to you. You did not refute a single thing I said. You went on a completely tangential attack of me personally, and that more than anything shows you know when you are flat out wrong and have no logical response to summon to your aid.

You say you don't like seeing anyone subjected to "mob attack" but you had no problems when the mob was attacking the authors of the A-Z and accusing them by implication of thievery. Where were your pleas for civility and fair play then?

And sweetie, grow up. Sometimes a persons actions DESERVE a mob attack. There is such a thing as paying the price for your actions. It's called consequences and just desserts. There is such a thing as a clear right and a clear wrong in some circumstances, and this happens to be one of them.
          Last edited by Ally; 11-30-2010, 09:36 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I asked you previously who you meant when you claimed someone had given Trevor Marriott "a run-around." You didn't answer.
            I don't claim that; I wasn't there. The term "run-around" is my term based on my understanding of what transpired prior to this being brought to Casebook. That understanding is based not solely on anything Trevor said, but rather on information passed to me in a personal message from one whom I respect greatly, who was there and who should know. There is more to this than what has appeared on these boards. That's what I believe. You choose to believe otherwise, fine. None of this means a hill of beans anyway. This whole thread has degenerated into a p & s contest, with the wisest among us choosing to withdraw from the melee. I'm now going to join them, so you can fire away with impunity.

John

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Caz. I see you are exercising ze little grey cells, no?

And DO keep beating the drum for proper English!

Cheers.
              LC

And her proper usage of Anglo-Saxon too.

Comment

• Ally:

I must have really hit a nerve! Thank you for showing that with your instinctively defensive response. Most enlightening. The fact is, reading any of your posts should be enough to convince most people how cleverly you can twist things around to suit your own needs and purposes. Gotta hand it to you: You ignore the meat and go right for the bone! You're the one who compared yourself to a dog; I was merely going along with the idea. Nothing personal. You were spoiling for a fight and you got it. And please, at least admit that you hurl (an insult) at someone in practically every one of your posts. Understand, I don't condemn you for it, that's just your nature, and I'm okay with that. The last paragraph sums up perfectly the dual nature of the beast - "Sometimes a persons actions DESERVE a mob attack." (Feral and emotional.) "There is such a thing as paying the price for your actions. It's called consequences and just desserts." (Sound and logical).

John

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                  I don't claim that; I wasn't there. The term "run-around" is my term based on my understanding of what transpired prior to this being brought to Casebook. That understanding is based not solely on anything Trevor said, but rather on information passed to me in a personal message from one whom I respect greatly, who was there and who should know.
                  Very well - you aren't claiming it happened, you're just saying that you understand on good (though naturally unidentified) authority that it happened.

Now that's out of the way, I'll repeat my request. If you aren't prepared to explain who this new bit of innuendo is directed at, could you at least make it clear that it's not directed at the authors of the "A to Z." Surely that's not an unreasonable request, considering you say you have been trying to "calm things down."

Comment

• Wow John, you give more farewell speeches with as little intention of following through as Streisand. And you are about as much of an egotistical diva. Any family relation?
                    Last edited by Ally; 12-01-2010, 02:29 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• What's this proper english.How would I recognise it?Is it in the memoryandem?

Comment

• Sorry, there was an error in the last email address. It should be:

The authors of the A To Z invite Trevor Marriott to write to them collectively at atozauthors @ hotmail.co.uk (close the spaces in the address) in order to discuss his grievances with them.

Comment

• The Aberconway Version in Ripperologist magazine

I'm pleased to announce that after lengthy discussion with Christopher McClaren, the document's owner, and Keith Skinner the Aberconway Version will be published in full (scan and transcript) in issue 124 of Ripperologist magazine, January 2012.

Best wishes
                          Adam

Comment

• good news

Hello Adam. That is good news indeed.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• thank you

Helo Adam,

This is indeed good news. Thank you. And thanks to all others involved in this long awaited publication.

Best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
                                I'm pleased to announce that after lengthy discussion with Christopher McClaren, the document's owner, and Keith Skinner the Aberconway Version will be published in full (scan and transcript) in issue 124 of Ripperologist magazine, January 2012.

Best wishes
                                Adam
                                Is Dr Davies forensic report on the marginalia going to be published in the same issue or is that to come in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X