Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridiculous !

Originally posted by Captain Hook View Post
    You could say "Amenez-les dehors!", couldn't you?
    Non ! Parfaitement impropre à la langue française ! Jamais vu cela dans aucun livre ! Sans intérêt pour la compréhension commune ! Des gens en colère qui partientent devant le box d'un condamné à mort (ou bien devant les portes d'une prison) ne disent pas "Sortez le !" mais "Lynchez-le !".
    Faut vraiment être de mauvaise foi pour affirmer le contraire parce que ta phrase dans le contexte n'aurait aucun sens !

Comment

Hi Dan,

Badly-translated rumour is little to go on. Whilst you could well be right in your suspicions, I'm going to wait for the English version. So far it's not half as daft as some learned theories I've read, but I await her delivering the proof. The devil's in the detail. Let's wait and see if she can pull it off.

Hey, what a hoot if she's right.

Kind regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Perfectly right !

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi All,

Glaring errors are to be found in the books of Messrs. Evans, Sugden and Begg, but this has not led us to summarily dismiss them as worthless nonsense.

Let's reserve judgement on Sophie Herfort's book until it is published in English.

I can't wait to read it.

Fair play.

Regards,

Simon
        Many thanks dear mediatory ! All these people don't speak french. Both of them are trying to make believe they do because they mumble few words. And to crown it all they boycott a book about what they understand nothing at all by pure bath faith !

According to me, she found "our "man but it's my opinion.

"Fair play" as you said ! They seem to ignore such a word !

Kind regards,

She Strong

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Dan,

Badly-translated rumour is little to go on. Whilst you could well be right in your suspicions, I'm going to wait for the English version. So far it's not half as daft as some learned theories I've read, but I await her delivering the proof. The devil's in the detail. Let's wait and see if she can pull it off.

Hey, what a hoot if she's right.

Kind regards,

Simon
          Hi Simon,
          even if Macnaghten is the ripper, that has not been proven by herfort.
          Look at her "arguments", as an example, in Chapman's murder:

p42:
          "Premier indice: un tablier de cuir, comme en portaient à l'époque certains ouvriers, les savetiers par exemple, se trouvait aux côtés de la victime. Cela a suffi pour que l'on désignât comme coupable un bottier demeurant à peu de distance de Mulberry Street. Il se nommait Pizer..."

Then, to be fair play, herfort writes that the apron belonged to Richardson, which is true. So, is that a "clue" ("indice")?
          You will, by the way, notice that she believes that the apron found in Hanbury Street is the origin of the suspicions thrown on Pizer!!!

p42: "deuxième indice: Le foulard rouge serré autour du cou entaillé d'Annie Chapman n'appartenait pas à la victime."
          Shall I translate this for you (sincerely hoping that you will forgive my "bad" English)?
          "Second clue: the red handkerchief around AC notched's throat did not belong to the victim."
          This is not a rumour, Simon, that is exactly what is written.
          And as you know, at the inquest, Donovan "identified the handkerchief produced, which deceased generally wore round her throat.She bought it off another lodger at the lodging house..." (The Times, 14 Sept)
          By the way, herfort, p44, writes that Donovan the deputy of Dorset Street's lodging house has been tried for the murder of his wife in 1904 (she doesn't know that Donovan died in Nov 1888, and that "Donovan the murderer "is another person).

p42: (still about what herfort calls the "second clue"): "On releva aussi, dans la boue de la cour, des empreintes de semelles en caoutchouc de type indien."

Sigh...I'm ashamed to translate this...
          So the police is supposed to have found, in the "mud of the yard", "footprints of rubber soles of Indian type."
          Can you believe this, Simon? Am I spreading rumour? Is the author of this sentence "fairplay" with the reader?

As to the third "clue", that is the envelope (Sq!) of which I have already spoken in a previous post.
          So we have "3 clues" according to herfort, and more than 3 mistakes/lies, within ONE page.
          But you will discover many more when it will be translated into English...

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Hi David,

Thank you. Your "bad" English is much better than my half-forgotten schoolboy French. I am convinced, and you have saved me the expense of buying the book. Fair play is the English curse.

Do you know if the book was "published" or "self-published"?

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Bonjour Fort, ou quels que soit votre nom est. J'ai une prise fondamentale de français après le fait de visiter boulogne il y a quelque temps. Je me demandais, sont là des plans de libérer une version anglaise, si ainsi quand arrivera-t-il ?
              Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Simon,
                the publisher is Tallandier. It is "grand public", and not a reference in literature or history. They are well known, though.
                Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Hi all,

Miss Herfort has recently published a work of fiction. No comment.

Cheers
                  Hook
                  Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                  Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

May be there are some historical facts inside...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Hook View Post
                      You could say "Amenez-les dehors!", couldn't you?

Cela m'etonnerais. But I can check Bourgoin's book too.

Good luck, She!

Hook
                      Salut Crochet,
                      you're right, there is nothing of this kind in Bourgoin's book (just checked it), of course. (N'est pas Herfort qui veut!)

And even if Bourgoin had translated "Fetch them out" by "Lynchez-les", it would have been a mistake as well. (By the way, Bourgoin sometimes misunderstands English, as in the case of "a pair of kid gloves", that he translated: "une paire de gants de taille enfantine".)

Now we can see how Strong/herfort tries to justify her mistakes...
                      And she also teaches English to...English people
                      Incredible and pathetic.

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                        Bonjour Fort, ou quels que soit votre nom est. J'ai une prise fondamentale de français après le fait de visiter boulogne il y a quelque temps. Je me demandais, sont là des plans de libérer une version anglaise, si ainsi quand arrivera-t-il ?
                        Hi Mike,
                        no reply so far, but forgive her.
                        Her new job as a "Museum Director" in Cyprus makes her dreadly busy...

Comment

Sorry : "dreadfully" busy - she teaches me English once a week.

Comment

Hi DVV, Which museum is it she works at?
                            Regards Mike

Comment

That's the question, my dear!
                              (strong' public profile gives her/him as a museum director in Cyprus...what can I do?!!...however, being a Mediterranean myself, I'd say that Cypriote people are far too smart to give such position to the scatterbrain we just met.)

Amitiés,
                              David

Comment

I did a "Google" search of all the museums in Cyprus and it showed only a few.

Limassol Archaeological Museum
                                Kykkos Monastery
                                Natural History Museum
                                Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum

I am thinking Motorbikes!!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X