The 'Suckered!' Trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    I would rather know I'm wrong than wonder if I might be right.
    That's why I asked the question as to when I'm going to find out what Mike's big point is Tom.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      Hi Mike, you'll have to forgive me but I remain sceptical that you (or others) are going to come up with a clear cut correction of any significance to something in my trilogy, although, of course, I'm not saying it's impossible. When are we going to find out what it is?
      Hi David,

A personal reason. I had published my third fiction novel last month (Curse of the Bayou Beast), and I just finished my nonfiction ripper book last week (the editing phase). Time to send out a few dozen query letters. Also, I have one more point to research before I posted on it. Lastly, I don't believe you've heard the last of Wolf, so I was going to wait for this part of the debate to wane.

Keep up your skepticism, though, it's a great trilogy.

Mike
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

• Okay thanks Mike. I wasn't sure if you were going to reveal the point in a future published article or in this thread. But doing it in this thread is good and I look forward to reading whatever you have to say. Good luck with the books!

Comment

• Hi Wickerman,

"I'm left wondering why isn't Simon fighting his own battles?"

I have better things to do than waste my time with Mr. Awesome.

At present I am researching a non-fiction account of the 1549 Prayer Book Rebellion and doing my level best not to completely corrupt history.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Okay thanks Mike. I wasn't sure if you were going to reveal the point in a future published article or in this thread. But doing it in this thread is good and I look forward to reading whatever you have to say. Good luck with the books!
            One point is in the upcoming article, but strangely not for directly supporting the Andrews/Tumblety connection and countering your argument. I have a slightly different agenda, even though both are running parallel in December 1888.

Thanks about the books!

Mike
            The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
            http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              At present I am researching a non-fiction account of the 1549 Prayer Book Rebellion and doing my level best not to completely corrupt history.
              Well that is good news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                I'm left wondering why isn't Simon fighting his own battles?
                If you're suggesting that I'm fighting Simon's battles, you're wrong. I'm just passing a bit of time. Plus I think it'd be nice to get to the bottom of this Andrews/Jarvis business.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Plus I think it'd be nice to get to the bottom of this Andrews/Jarvis business.
                  So why not ask Simon Wood the questions I suggested you ask him?

Oh sorry, I forgot, he is now too busy to answer them.

Comment

At present I am researching a non-fiction account of the 1549 Prayer Book Rebellion
                    Is that well known somewhere?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom,

It's well known in Devon and Cornwall, and for the fact that Swiss and German mercenaries were employed by the British government to put down the local rebels.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Is that well known somewhere?
                        Seriously Tom? You finally ask Simon Wood a question in this thread and it is completely off topic!!! Very revealing.

Comment

• David,

In your trilogy, a basic assumption is made that underpins your argument. You wrote that:

"Despite Inspector Jarvis' obvious hope that his work in America would be kept secret, it became known that he was in the country and, as no-one was aware that he was there to hunt Barton, this led to some wild speculation, particularly amongst the Irish Nationalists, that he was up to something to do with Parnell. During the previous year, a former Scotland Yard inspector, Maurice Moser, had become notorious following an evidently unsuccessful attempt to obtain information about Fenian activity while undercover in New York in the summer of 1887 before his cover was blown and he was exposed. The atmosphere of paranoia which existed in America during 1888 was a direct result of this fiasco and it was inevitable that any appearance of an English detective in the U.S. would instantly be connected with Moser's controversial activities."

On what evidence is it assumed that Moser's 'fiasco' led directly to this position? What exactly was this "atmosphere of paranoia" referred to and on whose instructions was Moser acting on?
                          Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• Hi auspirograph,

I’m very surprised you regard my passing reference to Moser in the passage you cited as a basic assumption which "underpins" my argument. That passage was included in my article for no other reason than to set out the context in which the arrival of a Scotland Yard detective in New York in 1888 (i.e. Inspector Jarvis) was viewed by Americans, especially Irish Nationalist sympathising Americans.

The evidence showing the relevance of Moser’s fiasco to Jarvis’ arrival is to be found within the New York Herald article of 16 December 1888 which reminded its readers that Moser "had to return to England discomfited, after failing in his mission, which was that of obtaining information about the movements of Irish-American conspirators, and particularly those of the dynamitards", thus linking Moser’s mission to that of the assumed mission of Inspector Jarvis (and Shore).

The atmosphere of paranoia at the time is nicely summarised in the New York Herald’s headline which was 'ENGLAND SENDS HER SPIES. SCOTLAND YARD DETECTIVES HERE SEARCHING FOR EVIDENCE TO CONVICT PARNELL.’

If I were to answer your final question as to whose instructions Moser was acting on, I would be moving into irrelevant and off-topic territory because what Moser actually did, or who he was doing it for, has no relevance to anything in my trilogy. For the purposes of the trilogy, Maurice Moser could have been a fictional character (although, of course, he wasn’t) and it is only the perception of what he had been doing in the United States which is relevant to this thread. Thus, if you want that particular question answered I can only advise you to start a new thread and someone might come forward to assist.
                            Last edited by David Orsam; 06-20-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Seriously Tom? You finally ask Simon Wood a question in this thread and it is completely off topic!!! Very revealing.
                              Was I supposed to ask Simon questions about your essay series? Why would I do that? But okay, I'll ask him one.

Simon,

Why did you post rude things to David back in February and do you regret having done so since it resulted in a 73 page revenge post?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Wickerman,

Regards,

Simon
                                Congrats. Really good saga.

Was researching the Carew family in 2007.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X