Barnett Abrahams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnett Abrahams

Is it know whether Barnett Abrahams was hanged for the murder of PC Thompson on the 1st December 1900?

Does the offence location "a coffee stall near the junction of Commercial Road and Adler Street", still exist?

According to James Morton he was found guilty of manslaughter and died in prison.

'A fascinating look behind closed lock-up doors'Evening StandardEast End Gangland is a true crime classic, now updated and expanded. Bestselling author James Morton tracks the changing face of the East End from the 1870s to now, through opium dens and racecourse gangs, crime on the docks and organised prostitution to the major players of today.The East End has always held a malign fascination for the general public. East End Gangland looks at this phenomenon from the days of the unsolved murders committed by Jack the Ripper to the 1960s when the Kray Twins held the reins of the Underworld, to the present and how the structure of crimes and criminal gangs has changed. 'The tales are told with a flourish in a fascinating, useful and lively history'The Times

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
      Does the offence location "a coffee stall near the junction of Commercial Road and Adler Street", still exist?
      Yes it does.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        According to James Morton he was found guilty of manslaughter and died in prison.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...hanged&f=false
        Thanks Robert, that certainly makes interesting reading. Did not know about him giving chase and falling over the body of COLES. Also interesting how he didn't hang for his crime!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Yes it does.

Thanks Stephen, what is it now? Has anyone got any photographs?

Comment

PC, there is a Times account of the trial but it's rather long to post.

Abrahams died in Parkhurst in 1911.

Comment

The coffee stall was owned by William James Butcher and was in Commercial Rd near the turning with Church Lane.

Comment

There was a huge fight at the coffee stall involving Abrahams and several police constables after PC Thompson was knifed by Barnett Abrahams. Abrahams was badly beaten up by these, according to the memoirs of ex Chief Constable Fred Wensley and moaned about his injuries after his arrest.

At Abrahams' trial his defence counsel stated that Thompson had hit Abrahams with his truncheon first in an effort to subdue him. According to Wensley Thompson's truncheon had never been drawn. However, the jury convicted Abrahams of manslaughter not murder, and therefore he didn't hang.

Comment

Hi Rosella

The fight apparently wasn't exactly at the coffee stall. According to the trial report, it took place outside Morrison's Buildings at the corner of Union St.

Comment

Thanks, Robert. Obviously there was a chase and then a fight! However, Abrahams languished in Prison rather than at the end of a hangman's noose because the jury chose to convict on manslaughter and not murder!

Comment

Many thanks Ladies & Gents for all your replies it certainly makes very interesting reading.

I'm particularly interested (and perhaps going slightly off subject so please forgive me), in the information about THOMPSON being the only person to be thought to have seen the Ripper. Also the information about him giving chase, falling over the body of COLES and then being so shocked that he walked back to the nick (or words to that effect). I have never heard this information before and wonder what source was used. My understanding was that he heard footsteps, moving away from him at an ordinary pace, walked into Swallow Gardens, came across of the body, thought about giving chase, but saw COLES was still alive and stayed with her, blowing his whistle to summon other officers who arrived 3 or 4 minutes later.

I've also read that he talked about letting the Ripper slip through his fingers and that he always thought he'd die in service (or words to that effect). He clearly did, but considering all the information about him being the only person thought to have seen the Ripper, etc. Why isn't COLES included as a excepted Ripper victim?

Also the memorial to THOMPSON in the Tower Hamlets cemetery, appears to include the names of two other Bobby's do we know who they are and what befell them?

Comment

The Met bought burial plots for constables whose families did not own their own plot.

So if you see a grave occupied by numerous PCs, odds are it is one of those.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          PC, there is a Times account of the trial but it's rather long to post.

Abrahams died in Parkhurst in 1911.

Robert, does it tell us what he died of?

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
                            Many thanks Ladies & Gents for all your replies it certainly makes very interesting reading.

I'm particularly interested (and perhaps going slightly off subject so please forgive me), in the information about THOMPSON being the only person to be thought to have seen the Ripper. Also the information about him giving chase, falling over the body of COLES and then being so shocked that he walked back to the nick (or words to that effect). I have never heard this information before and wonder what source was used. My understanding was that he heard footsteps, moving away from him at an ordinary pace, walked into Swallow Gardens, came across of the body, thought about giving chase, but saw COLES was still alive and stayed with her, blowing his whistle to summon other officers who arrived 3 or 4 minutes later.

I've also read that he talked about letting the Ripper slip through his fingers and that he always thought he'd die in service (or words to that effect). He clearly did, but considering all the information about him being the only person thought to have seen the Ripper, etc. Why isn't COLES included as a excepted Ripper victim?

Also the memorial to THOMPSON in the Tower Hamlets cemetery, appears to include the names of two other Bobby's do we know who they are and what befell them?
                            At Frances Coles' inquest Thompson said nothing about seeing anyone or hearing retreating footsteps and certainly nothing about falling over Coles's body, just a bald telling of finding her and remaining with her until other police arrived.

Comment

It seems not to have been a chase, more like Abrahams going off and Thompson following him to make sure he went.

Yes, I thought that Thompson stayed by Coles because that was the Met rule - do not give chase, stay by the victim. I don't think he saw the attacker.

To find out what Abrahams died of, it will probably be necessary to order his death certificate.

Comment

Working...
                              X