Ask Monty……

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Monty……

This is a thread for anyone to ask their police-based questions. Neil Bell isn’t a regular poster these days but via Jon Menges I mentioned the idea for this thread. Neil will check in every so often to see if there are any questions for him about all aspects of police work and the police.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Neil,

Would the police ever put a false name on somebody suspected of committing a crime?

Comment

Helo Neil,

I have read that in 1888 the clocks in police stations were synchronised to GMT via the telegraph line. I am aware that Constables did not carry pocket watches, but was there a rank that, having been acheived, carried a requirement to have a pocket watch and keep it synchronised to the Station Clock - I am thinking of the likes of Abilene and Reid?

My second question is, were pub closing times dictated by law and therefore requiring a synchronised clock on the premises to comply with the law, and would it be viewable by their customers?

Cheers, George
      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
      Out of a misty dream
      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
      Within a dream.
      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

I can't answer the first question, but I can answer the second ... no.
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

I also know railway workers of a certain level were required to buy a watch with a specified number of jewels in it, I forget the actual number off hand, but the point was to make sure they had a time that would stay accurate to the railways sycronisation.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            This is a thread for anyone to ask their police-based questions. Neil Bell isn’t a regular poster these days but via Jon Menges I mentioned the idea for this thread. Neil will check in every so often to see if there are any questions for him about all aspects of police work and the police.
            Hi,

Nice to be back.

Not sure Id be able to help much however I shall try.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              Neil,

Would the police ever put a false name on somebody suspected of committing a crime?
              Hey Scott,

Hope you are well chap.

Do you mean a "known as"?

Monty
              Monty

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
                Helo Neil,

I have read that in 1888 the clocks in police stations were synchronised to GMT via the telegraph line. I am aware that Constables did not carry pocket watches, but was there a rank that, having been acheived, carried a requirement to have a pocket watch and keep it synchronised to the Station Clock - I am thinking of the likes of Abilene and Reid?

My second question is, were pub closing times dictated by law and therefore requiring a synchronised clock on the premises to comply with the law, and would it be viewable by their customers?

Cheers, George
                Hey George,

I have come across nothing in police orders which declare such a practice must be done, however good practice was for the station inspector to keep good time as he had ultimatre responsibility for the station and its men.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post

Hi,

Nice to be back.

Not sure Id be able to help much however I shall try.

Monty
                  Hello Neil.

Thanks for agreeing to look in on the thread when you’re free too. You are The Oracle.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Really good idea for a thread, I hope it works well.

Many thanks Neil, much appreciated.
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

OK, here's a question Neil, but without perhaps a specific reference to say, a police disciplinary or something, might be totally unanswerable.

Police beats. Specified streets and alleyways, at specified times. From the Ripperological view, we measure the route and work with the 2.5mph pace, then come up with a general time to cover said beat ( Jeff surely does, he loves that stuff). But, a dead end court, many of which are narrow, don't require a full pavement to pavement via two 90 degree turns to cover, they could be scanned from halfway down with a wave of the lamp, if that. Factor in familiarity breeds contempt, and beat times could be much shorter or less thorough.

Are there many, or any, cases of patrolling police missing things or being negligent due to slap dash walking the beat?
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                        OK, here's a question Neil, but without perhaps a specific reference to say, a police disciplinary or something, might be totally unanswerable.

Police beats. Specified streets and alleyways, at specified times. From the Ripperological view, we measure the route and work with the 2.5mph pace, then come up with a general time to cover said beat ( Jeff surely does, he loves that stuff). But, a dead end court, many of which are narrow, don't require a full pavement to pavement via two 90 degree turns to cover, they could be scanned from halfway down with a wave of the lamp, if that. Factor in familiarity breeds contempt, and beat times could be much shorter or less thorough.

Are there many, or any, cases of patrolling police missing things or being negligent due to slap dash walking the beat?
                        Hmm, why do I suspect you're thinking of PC's Harvey & Watkins
                        Would Harvey really walk to the end of Church Passage on every beat, of every shift?
                        Would Watkins really walk around Mitre Square on every beat, of every shift?
                        Human nature tends to suggest probably not, right?
                        Why didn't Hutchinson see a constable come down Dorset street, on his 45 minute vigil?
                        Human nature, again?
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hmm, why do I suspect you're thinking of PC's Harvey & Watkins
                          Would Harvey really walk to the end of Church Passage on every beat, of every shift?
                          Would Watkins really walk around Mitre Square on every beat, of every shift?
                          Human nature tends to suggest probably not, right?
                          Why didn't Hutchinson see a constable come down Dorset street, on his 45 minute vigil?
                          Human nature, again?
                          Ha ha, it crops up generally, particularly in Mitre Square, but it was a thought provoked by the Berner St beats. Fair points though Wick, PC's won't admit to shirking duty. It was more a matter of 'on the book times' as opposed to actual times.
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Yes Neil,

But either a "known as" or an entirely new made-up name.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hello Neil.

Thanks for agreeing to look in on the thread when you’re free too. You are The Oracle.
                              Heh. I dunno about that. Just a chap who has an interest in boring stuff.

Thanks though

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X