X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Watkins

Watkins Family Newsletter

Article on Page 7 by descendant of PC Watkins

I had Edward Watkins' elderly great-grandson on my tour tonight (two days after having a woman on the tour who worked in the K&T offices in Mitre Square!).

I don't have his details but he and his wife took mine. I asked the obvious question and to my amazement, they answered they have boxes of old photographs in the attic and may well have some photos of him. It is now all down to them to choose to contact me (I made it clear they could remain anonymous and a great deal of people would be very grateful to find out more about him) but I have a good feeling about this.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Hi P

Lets hope they do...fresh photographs and information will always be welcome.

Comment

Hi Philip,

I hope so, keeping my fingers crossed for you, you may not need it though.

I do hope that there is much that they could give that would overwhelm you with some great photos and info that would make your year, not just your day.

All the Best
        Shelley

Comment

Philip, although your post started out like the Private Eye taxi driver, it's all very intriguing and let's hope you're lucky. I'm sure we'd all like to see whatever they might make available.

Comment

Record

Im interested....

Those that have read Rob and my article in the latest Rip, has your opinion of Watkins altered?

Seeing as he was caught having 'sexual intercourse with a woman whilst on his beat'.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Nobody interested??

Well it certainly altered my opinion of him. In fact while doing the articles with Neil Its changed my opinion on the City Police Officers quite a bit. They have been a real eye opener.

The next one we are doing P.C Pearce, is well, even more shocking.

Rob

Comment

Neil and Rob,

Seeing as he was caught having 'sexual intercourse with a woman whilst on his beat'.

As the old puncline goes, "Nothing queer about our Watkins."

Actually, no I was not surprised since I had surmised long ago that all sorts of behavior could cause problems assessing average beat times and O) later had it confirmed by those who would know.

What did surprise me, though, after having read of steady infractions by other PCs in your series was the sudden and complete halt to such blemishes on his record by Watkins. I suppose he might have learned how to game the system, but otherwise it was seem he was truly a reformned man. If the latter, then more power to him.

Don.
                Last edited by Supe; 08-12-2009, 08:09 PM.
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Rob & Don

I was surprised initially.

However, when you look at the decent relationship the press had with the City Police (compared to the Met), it kinda makes sense that their officers were painted in favourable colours.

Im surprised at Watkins punishment. A small fine and thats it? I guess such actions were thought as minor offences.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Shine a light!

Thanks for your Watkins article ,Monty and Rob. Valuable light thrown on the various policemen involved in the case and particularly on Watkins who played such a crucial role in discovering Kate"s body.
                    It appears then that Watkins had had quite a chequered past in the police,especially early on in his career , and that women and drink may well have been a weakness throughout his life.
                    Was he,as the local City beat officer for Mitre Square perhaps aware of the part time work Kate engaged in,perhaps even saw it that night and chose to ignore it ? Was he possibly the "Mitre Square [beat ]PC" referred to by Macnaghten who suggested he was the only one to have had a good look at the ripper?
                    Like yourselves, I doubt Watkins was into any pimping which you claim went on from time to time among certain corrupted pc"s, but he may have been on reasonably friendly terms with women such as Kate and may even have enjoyed "shining a light" into darkened corners like the one in Mitre Square to liven up the boredom of his Saturday night beat!
                    Watkins could have seen a little more than he was willing to own to that night......as indeed may others, such as the ex policeman/watchman Morris who seems to me to have been a possible "peeping Tom" ,admitting to leaving his door "ajar" and standing outside it for a while each night,including that night,in the full knowledge that the spot directly opposite him was where the local "unfortunates" brought their clients -especially on Saturday nights!
                    Dig on Monty and Rob, you are certainly unearthing some long lost treasure!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                      Nobody interested??

Well it certainly altered my opinion of him. In fact while doing the articles with Neil Its changed my opinion on the City Police Officers quite a bit. They have been a real eye opener.

The next one we are doing P.C Pearce, is well, even more shocking.

Rob
                      Im afraid I havent read the piece yet, but will for sure....but when you mentioned Pearce above Rob.....well....all I can say is you go guy.

That murder is claustrophobic with Police...onsite, or a stones throw away....Pearce's window facing the crime scene itself.

Based on what is coming out about Watkins, what if Pearce saw a Policeman with Kate, and thought nothing of it, based on what you say is some evidence coppers occasionally "copped" on duty. And why isnt he running into the square when he hears the many people gathering down there?

Looking forward to the "light".

All the best Rob

Comment

1. Watkins had intercourse while on his beat.
                        2. Policemen wore a bullseye lamp full of oil on their belts.

Risky!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          It's what you call "lubrication to duty"
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

If it was on his tea break, you gotta put your helmet somewhere.

Comment

Risky!
                              I suppose that suggests that sex with an Unfortunate while working would be really hot.

Or that a "manual" servicing by an unfortunate might involve danger pay.

I guess we know what to look for with Unfortunates to see if they were in the habit of servicing officers on duty....oven mitts and an asbestos mud flap on their skirts.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X