The Whitechapel Vigilance Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitechapel Vigilance Committee

It is my belief that the Vigilance Committee or rather certain members of it, threw Montague Druitt off of a bridge after loading his pockets with stones. Taking what we are left with it just boggles my mind that a man like Druitt would commit suicide by drowning himself in that way. Also the confidence which the police told certain select people that the Ripper was dead is dodgy. Of course it is all speculation, but what isn't? The official cause of death to start.

Hello TMT,

Do you have any evidence which would support your Druitt theory or is it purely speculation?

c.d.

Comment

Nah just speculation. It just nags at me how bad the police wanted it to go away they kept telling people the Ripper was dead.

Comment

It seems somewhat improbable that the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee was active all the way across London in Chiswick, where Druitt's remains were found, or conversely that a body with stones in the pockets would have drifted ten miles or so upstream.

Comment

They somewhat touched on it in the fictional Johnny Depp movie. His characters pockets were loaded with rocks and tossed off a bridge. After the Mary Kelly murder the Queen was aghast and you're right, it may have not been them -but someone.

Comment

Plus I think he left a suicide letter stating he didn’t want to end up like his mom, who was also sent to an asylum. I suppose they could still have faked that as well but IMO, they would have had to really done their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBundy13 View Post
              Plus I think he left a suicide letter stating he didn’t want to end up like his mom, who was also sent to an asylum. I suppose they could still have faked that as well but IMO, they would have had to really done their homework.
              Or how about this, the Ripper was Druitt's brother. And without seeing the letter, I question it as a suicide letter but see it as a letter of depression.

Comment

Originally posted by The Macdonald Triad View Post

Or how about this, the Ripper was Druitt's brother. And without seeing the letter, I question it as a suicide letter but see it as a letter of depression.
                I like your thinking, definitely outside the box I have to admit! whether I or agree with it or not I'd like to see more of your research into your theory! Keep digging and see if you can come up with anything.

Comment

Perhaps the Ripper was a Brother of one of the suspects.

Comment

Coincidently, Lusk and Aarons wrote to the Evening Standard, in a letter dated September 29.

TO THE EDITOR OF THE STANDARD

Sir, - As Chairman of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, who communicated, without result, with the Home Secretary, with the view of obtaining, on behalf of the public at large, the offer of a Government reward for the apprehension and convictions of the assassin or assassins in the recent East-end atrocities, we shall be glad if you will allow us to state that the Committee do not for one moment doubt the sincerity of the Home Secretary in refusing the said offer, as he apparently believes that it would not meet with a successful result.

If he would, however, consider that, in the case of the Phoenix Park murders, the man Carey - who was surrounded by, we may say, a whole society steeped in crime - was tempted by money to betray his associates, in our opinion, Mr. Matthews might see his way clear to coincide with our views, and the Government offer would be successful.

The reward should be ample for securing an informer from revenge, which would be a very great inducement in the matter, in addition to which such an offer would convince the poor and humble residents of our East-end that the Government authorities are as anxious to avenge the blood of these unfortunate victims as they were the assassination of Lord Cavendish and Mr. Burke. The whole British nation are as much in favour of a reward now as they were then.

Apologising for troubling you,

We are, Sir, your obedient servants.

GEORGE LUSK.
                    JOSEPH AARONS.
                    1, 2, and 3, Alderney-road, Mile-end, E.,
                    September 29.

The reward should be ample for securing an informer from revenge ... because someone they know has an axe to grind?
                    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X