The Secret Special Branch Ledgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    "A third head of the CID, Sir Melville Macnaghten, appears to identify the Ripper with the leader of a plot to assassinate Mr Balfour at the Irish Office."
    Is there the remote possibility that this comment may have been entirely misinterpreted?

Could it not be along the same lines as someone observing today that the American President appears to identify those responsible for the BP oil spill with the 9/11 terrorists?

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      I think you might find that the Bedford gardens i referred to was in existence but between 1888-1891 the houses were demolished and the street became non existent..
      Such speculation is all rather academic, considering there were only 6 houses on the street in 1881.

What reason is there to think this is anything other than a straightforward reference to the 57 Bedford Gardens we know about, in Kensington?

Comment

Such speculation is all rather academic, considering there were only 6 houses on the street in 1881.

What reason is there to think this is anything other than a straightforward reference to the 57 Bedford Gardens we know about, in Kensington?
        Because there was another Bedford Gardens which was probably in existence in 1888 and nearer to Whitechapel than Kensington. 7 miles to Kensington- 4 miles to Lambeth.

There was no census in 1888 so where do you get your information from as to who was living there at the time ?
        Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Because there was another Bedford Gardens which was probably in existence in 1888 and nearer to Whitechapel than Kensington. 7 miles to Kensington- 4 miles to Lambeth.
          But even if it was still in existence in 1888, that Bedford Gardens had only 6 houses in it, and the Register gives the address as 57 Bedford Gardens.

Surely that has to be taken at face value unless there's a compelling reason to suspect an error.

Comment

But even if it was still in existence in 1888, that Bedford Gardens had only 6 houses in it, and the Register gives the address as 57 Bedford Gardens.

Surely that has to be taken at face value unless there's a compelling reason to suspect an error.
            Never take anything on face value !!!!!!!!

Comment

To Caz

I had thought that the reference to Browne about Macnaghte associating the Ripper with a plot against Balfour to be possibly some obscure reference to Tumblety, or somebody connected with the Irish, until I saw the context of this quote, eg. the full page.

Browne is writing about a few sources which are publicly available, not classified ones, and he makes the peculiar remark about Macnaghten because, I think, he is misunderstanding his 1914 memoirs.

Just as Leanard Matters did Browne is taking the last lines of Mac's chapter, 'Laying the Ghost of Jack the Ripper' literally; that the fiend 'knocked out' a police commissioner and very 'nearly settled the hash' of a secretary of state. This actually refers to Warren and Matthews.

I think Browne has misread it, thought it referred to a real plot, knows that the only plot was against Balfour at the time of the Ripper murders, and thus put two and two together.

Further backing for my theory is that Browne never mentions that Macnaghten had written an internal 1894 Report which identified the Ripper with somebody else -- with three other minor suspects: Druitt, Kosminski and Ostrog, but that he had earlier theorized an Irish suspect, and so on.

Browne seems wholly ignorant about Macnaghten's preference for the Drowned Doctor, or drowned 'Said to be a doctor'. I don't think he ever saw the 1894 version of this Report.

Of course this error is partly because of Macnaghten's chicanery; he never mentions that the suspect was drowned or a doctor in his cagey memoirs -- or explains how they got onto him? He does mention that it was 'some years after' 1888 which further pulls Mac's opinion away from some figure who was plotting against Balfour, which of course in no way resembles what little is known about Montie Druitt.

Comment

Never take anything on face value !!!!!!!!
                I think we have radically different approaches to research, so it's probably fruitless to prolong the discussion.

For my part, I am going to take 57 Bedford Gardens to mean 57 Bedford Gardens, unless someone can show me a much stronger reason to think otherwise than the one you've suggested.

Comment

Hi All,

"A third head of the CID, Sir Melville Macnaghten, appears to identify the Ripper with the leader of a plot to assassinate Mr Balfour at the Irish Office." Douglas G. Browne, The Rise of Scotland Yard (1956).

Arthur Balfour was Chief Secretary for Ireland from 7th March 1887 to 9th November 1891.

"Jack the Ripper" was in operation from 31st August to 9th November 1888.

Melville Macnaghten joined the Metropolitan Police in June 1889.

I found two contemporary published references to anticipated assassination attempts on Balfour.

Flesherton [Ontario] Advance, October 1887—

" . . . In the possession of Hawkins the police found a newspaper cutting announcing that Mr Balfour, the Irish Chief Secretary, was to address an open-air demonstration of Conservatives in Birmingham on November 2nd. It is believed a plot exists to attempt Mr Balfour's murder on that occasion. The Chief Secretary is, therefore, being closely guarded night and day."

Arthur James Balfour: The Man and His Work, by Bernard Alderson, 1903—

" . . . On the occasion of his [Balfour's] visit to Manchester, in December 1887, to address a great meeting of his constituents in the Free Trade Hall, the police arrangements were of a character without precedent in that city. Not only was a considerable force of men kept on duty near the door of the hall, but the approaches by several streets were protected by double lines of barriers for some hundreds of yards along the centre of the roadway. These precautions were not rendered necessary by the mere magnitude of the crowds, but were due to the authorities having received warning that an attempt might be made on the life of Mr Balfour during his stay in Manchester, and it was even deemed necessary not only to guard his progress through the streets, but that he should sleep in the civic residence at the Town Hall . . ."

But all this was a year before Jack was even a twinkle in his creator's eye.

Closer to home, on 17th May 1888, James Monro informed the Home Secretary, Sir Henry Matthews, that there was a plot to murder Arthur Balfour. And on 11th August 1888 Queen Victoria wrote in her journal, " . . . Lord Salisbury [the Prime Minister] . . . was sorry to say the Government had had notice from America of a plot to kill Mr. Balfour, which is terrible, and he has to be watched."

As it is unlikely that Millers Court had any connection with earlier murders of a similar nature, it is worth mentioning that on 9th November 1888 Arthur James Balfour was one of the leading dignitaries at the Guildhall banquet for the new Lord Mayor of London.

If this is the JtR connection, a planned assassination attempt on this day would have been quite a close call and, if true, makes you wonder how Macnaghten wrote his 1894 memorandum with a straight face.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Balfour

Hello Simon. Funny you should mention Balfour. I found this a week ago in the "Guardian" for November 23, 1887. (I have lightly edited it.) Is it germane? Whatever became of O'Brien and Doughty? Was Limerick a hotbed of anti-Balfour sentiment?

"William O'Brien's life was dear to every Irishman, except the
                    coercionists but dear as his life was to the people of Ireland, it
                    ought to be dearer to Balfour. God help Balfour, soul and body, if
                    anything happened to William O'Brien. (Loud cheers.) Without
                    becoming irreverent, he would say that the curse of God would
                    speedily descend on Balfour's head, and the fate of Castlereagb,
                    who cut his own throat, would be nothing to the fate that would
                    occur to Balfour. They said the wish was father to the thought,
                    and he himself pleaded guilty to the wish if anything happened to
                    William O'Brien."
                    The city of Limerick was last week proclaimed under the
                    four sections of the Crimes Act which related to preliminary
                    inquiries, the summary jurisdiction Of resident magistrates,
                    special juries, and removal of trials. This step has been taken
                    with the view of dealing with speakers who incite the people to
                    break the law, rather than with other forms of crime, from
                    which the district is at present very free.
                    Mr. Davitt, who was last week at Limerick raising money for
                    a Celtic cross in memory of the " Manchester martyrs," insisted
                    that Mr. O'Brien, having made a heroic protest against being
                    treated as a common felon, should not risk his life by refusing
                    whatever might be necessary in the way of food and clothing.
                    He should, he said, rest satisfied with doing all a man of honour
                    and principle was called on to do, without sacrificing his life to
                    gratify Mr. Balfour's mean and cowardly desire for' vengeance.
                    At this meeting Mr. Davitt gave some account of the form of
                    Home Rule which he desired. "It was," he said—
                    " The Irish Nationalists, and not English parties, who should
                    formulate a Constitution which had to undo the evil effects of
                    English misgovernment in Ireland. The scheme of a single Chamber
                    with two orders and with separate voting power which was contained
                    in Mr. Gladstone's Home Rule Bill was unsatisfactory and unworkable.
                    The retention of Irish members in an English Parliament
                    when Irish questions were not discussed there would be building up
                    materials for future obstruction with a vengeance. A dual order,
                    such as was proposed in Mr. Gladstone's Bill, would only ensure perpetual
                    obstruction and prolong the contest with the class of
                    ascendancy, and he sincerely hoped that this part of the Bill was as
                    dead as the system of land purchase which marked with failure its
                    twin measure of Home Rule. It would be impossible to safeguard
                    the rights of the minority without violating the rights of constitutional
                    government; but there was not a Catholic or Nationalist in
                    Ireland who would not, nevertheless, give the Protestants the fullest
                    representation their numbers entitled them to. In a legislature of
                    300 members by a system of scrutin de liste there would be seventy-five
                    members to represent them."
                    On Sunday Mr. Davitt spoke at a meeting, at Stepaside, a few
                    miles from Dublin. He professed to feel great confidence in
                    the progress of the movement for Home Rule ; but the effect of
                    the Crimes Act and the apathy of the farmers were evidently
                    troubling him. Referring to the doings of Messrs. Pyne, Cox,
                    and Gilhooly, he said he did not think a hide-and-seek policy
                    was very dignified. If some were inclined to give the police a
                    run for it through the country, the Irish people would not misinterpret
                    their meaning. He was, however, anxious that the
                    people of Great Britain, America, and Europe should learn that
                    the Nationalists, instead of running away from coercion, would
                    willingly meet any consequences that they might incur from
                    their love of liberty.
                    Mr. Pyne, who has taken refuge in the old tower of Lisfarny
                    Castle to prevent the execution of the warrant for his arrest,
                    was on Sunday visited by several National League contingents,
                    headed by bands. He was let down by a rope from a height of
                    80ft. to within about 15ft. of the ground, and listened to
                    addresses read to him. After expressing his determination to
                    offer the utmost resistance to the police he was hauled up again.
                    It is said that the Crown does not intend proceeding in the
                    case against the Lord Mayor for publishing reports of meetings
                    of suppressed branches of the League, which was remitted by
                    the superior court to the magistrates, as an entry on the record
                    of the police-court that the case was " dismissed," would raise
                    serious if not fatal obstacles to its further prosecution. Fresh
                    proceedings, however, will be instituted, not only against the
                    Nation, but against other papers that are offending in a similar
                    way.
                    Mr. Henry Doughty, who calls himself the London working
                    men's delegate to Ireland, was on Friday last sentenced to a
                    month's imprisonment for inciting people to adopt the Plan of
                    Campaign and to join the League in a proclaimed district.
                    Mr. Doughty on hearing the sentence rose, and, waving his hat
                    in the air, shouted " God save Ireland." The cry was taken up
                    by the people in court, a number of soldiers belonging to the
                    Leinster regiment being especially demonstrative. The magistrate
                    immediately sentenced a countryman who was arrested in
                    the act of observing for O'Brien to a week's imprisonment, and
                    the tumult subsided. Mr. Doughty was subsequently removed
                    to the gaol at Limerick, care being taken to prevent anything
                    like a disturbance on the way."

Thanks!

The best.
                    LC

Comment

On The Lighter Side Of My Official .....

Coincidence. Ain't it peculiar?
                      Only the other day, I was glancing down the Forum Threads list of policemen connected with this case and recorded against Superintendent Melville's name: Nothing. Niente;Nix: Nuffink!

Now a further coincidence: For as many years as I have been Ripperologising, I have been throwing research discoveries in a bottom drawer against the day I write my magnus opus:" A History Of Foreign Espionage In Australia".

Part of that task involves a study of the state Special Branches.Their establishment; operations and personnel.

Because the Australian Special Branches were established at the encouragement of the Metropolitan Police heirarchy, I am vaguely familiar with names of the U.K. Metropolitan Police Special Branch's principals.

Because I knew William Melville had been a long-serving political policeman, I decided just today to search my bookshelves to see what information I could use to kick-start a Melville thread on Casebook forums!!

So, any beginners out there who want a lead-in to the labyrinthian by-ways of British police history, especially as they apply to Britain's security agencies, it is my suggestion you could do worse than start by reading Professor Christopher Andrew's The Defence Of The Realm: The Authorised History of MI5" ( Allen LanePenguin):London: 2009.

At page 6 it will tell you that Superintendent William Melville head of Special Branch from approx. 1893 to 1903, pretended to retire, with all the press stories praising his past works, then proceeded to secretly run a forerunner of MI5 for another six years from a private office at 25 Victoria Street, Westminster. Using the alias "W.Morgan, General Agent".

When I logged on to Casebook today and read all about The Ledgers and Clutterbuck, Melville and Trevor Marriott I was truly amazed.

Flabbergasted!

Let alone the headless chickens which can assume....

Grand work by Chris, and Phil and Trevor and Stewart.....everybody.

I shall certainly be getting the book.

Thanks to everyone involved in shining a torch on all these bureacratic shennanigins.

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Most of Ireland was a hotbed of anti-Balfour sentiment. They didn't call him "Bloody Balfour" for nothing.

Sorry, I know nothing about O'Brien and Doughty.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

If he visited England again in the late 1880s he could have been the Irishman noticed by Special Branch at 57 Bedford Gardens.
                          Evidently William Magrath was visiting England and Ireland in late 1888, as indicated by the advertisement below, which appeared in Lippincott's Monthly Magazine for December 1889 (available at http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F9HUAAAAMAAJ), under the title "J. B. Lippincott Company's Monthly Bulletin of New Publications":

Click image for larger version

Name:	LippincottsMonthlyMagazineDecember1889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	659632

Comment

"The Low Back'd Car", as illustrated by William Magrath, is available at the Internet Archive:

Comment

This Fast-moving Thread....

Because this thread has been logging posts at the rate of knots, I was not aware Lynn (Cates) was posting that most moving account from The Guardian.
                              As the result, my light-as-air subsequent post seemed like a 'non sequiter'.
                              You know-- an illogical follow up to the post immediately before it.
                              Apologies.
                              Also, apologies to Simon whose grand description opened this very fascinating thread.I forgot to praise your worthwhile revelations. Sorry and Well Done.

Isn't it amazing how hard some Ripperologists are beavering away behind the arras?

I sincerely hope Trevor's appropriate application for access is assented to.

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

questions

Hello John. No apologies needed. You couldn't be a light poster if you tried, and have been a serious Ripper man before a good many here were born.

I think that, once Trevor gets in there and has a look about, many of the questions about anarchists/socialists and the Irish question may be answered. And if it all turns out to be mere flatulence, then some of us can begin taking a different tack.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X