Hutt, PC George

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting Horses/Bucephalus

Thanks to all of you for posting the interesting pieces about cruelty to horses. By strange coincidence, I just re-read George Sims' excellent piece 'Equine London' last night!

I'm so glad there were people who cared enough to defend poor hardworking horses from abuse. That's a topic very close to my heart as I have rescued and rehabilitated several badly abused horses. In fact, I consider the one I have now to be a permanent part of my family.

Thanks again,
    Archaic

PS: You might have noticed that the "horse letter" Chris posted on his blog was signed 'Bucephalus'. He really existed and was the beloved horse of Alexander the Great. (c.300 BC) He was a magnificent steed but considered vicious and unrideable. However, the adolescent Prince Alexander realized Bucephalus was only afraid of his own shadow (literally!) and tamed him with patience and kindness.

Alexander credited his horse with saving his life in battle and helping him conquer the world. Alexander even had coins created featuring his horse's image. Attached is a Greek mosaic depicting Alexander and Bucephalus victorious at the battle of Issus.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Archaic; 09-09-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Wonderful information. Thanks, Archaic. Also glad that my blog posting struck a chord with you given your rescue work with horses. Not quite on the same scale, but Donna and I have just rescued two older cats, Lucy and Desi, aged 10 and 7, respectively.

All the best

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

[QUOTE=ChrisGeorge;Wonderful information. Thanks, Archaic. Also glad that my blog posting struck a chord with you given your rescue work with horses. Not quite on the same scale, but Donna and I have just rescued two older cats, Lucy and Desi, aged 10 and 7, respectively. All the best, Chris [/QUOTE]

Good work, Chris! I'm glad to hear it. More such kindness is needed in this world.

My little adopted stray is sprawled across my lap, spilling over onto my computer, and I'm having to type around her. She seems to think my laptop is her personal hot-water bottle.

- Uh, just for the sake of clarity I better add that the adopted critter on my lap right now is a kitty, not a horse....though around here, anything is possible.

Take care,
        Archaic

Comment

Hi again Archaic

In addition to confirming that the P.C. Pegg that Hutt mentions in his poem was a fellow City of London policeman who was involved in prosecuting numerous cases of horse cruelty in the capital, I have found out that the other person mentioned in Hutt's poem, Sangster, was the veterinarian Thomas Sangster, M.R.C.V.S., of 275 Kennington Park Road, Lambeth, who died on November 28, 1893. Both Pegg and Sangster are mentioned in the following article that was published in The Anti-Vivisectionist, Vol. VII, 1880, p. 492.

CRUELTY IN LONDON—JUST SENTENCES.

Since our last number appeared cases of conviction for cruelty to animals have been reported in all parts of the kingdom, but especially in the City of London, the name of John Pegg, CP. 446, being again honourably prominent as a prosecutor and protector of animals. On November 4, the presiding Alderman at Guildhall, Alderman Nottage, remarked that "all the cases which had been brought before him that day had been charges of cruelty to horses." Alderman Nottage went on to say that "he had had no less than eight defendants before him, and it was surprising that in a city like this there should be such an amount of cruelty. It had now come to this, that the magistrates of the City must adopt a different course, and, instead of fining those who so brutally ill-used dumb animals, they would have to send them to prison without a fine, so that, if they could not feel for their horses, they might be made to feel for themselves. It would be a painful duty to perform, but it would have to be done." This is a state of things that may well attract the special attention of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The following is a report of one of the cases, in which the Alderman, with praiseworthy determination, carried out his humane intentions :—

Edward Bateman, 29, Whiskin Street, Clerkenwell, a master carmm, was charged before Mr. Alderman Nottage with causing a horse to be cruelly ill-treated by working it in an unfit state.

John Pegg, 446, said that on Wednesday afternoon he saw the defendant's carter, Smith, driving a gray mare in a cart in Chatham Place, Blackfriars. Noticing that she appeared to work in pain he examined her, and found that she had a large sore under the saddle, another on the hip, and was in a very weak and emaciated condition, and totally unfit for work.

Mr. Thomas Sangster, M.R.C.V.S., said that the mare was aged, in a very low and weak condition, totally unfit for work, and it was cruelty to work it.

Pegg, in reply to the Alderman, said the defendant admitted that he had been fined £5 at Lambeth for a similar offence.—Harris, the gaoler, stated that Bateman had been fined five times at this court for cruelty.—The Prisoner admitted that he had been fined £% at Lambeth.

Mr. Alderman Nottage said the defendant had been fined five times at this court and once at Lambeth, and those fines had had no effect upon him. As fining was of no use to him he (the Alderman) would try another course, and send him to prison for fourteen days with hard labour.

The Prisoner begged hard not to be sent to prison, for the sake of his wife and children. Mr. Alderman Nottage replied that he should not alter

his decision. If owners of horses would not feel for the animals under their control, they must be made to feel for themselves.

On November 8, the same magistrate acted with similar firmness. On that day, Robert Harriott, a contractor, of 30, Eagle Street, Holborn, was brought before Mr. Alderman Nottage, on a warrant, charged with causing a horse to be cruelly ill-treated. He had been summoned previously, and neglected to attend the summons, and then a warrant was issued, upon which he was apprehended.— The Prisoner now said he had no defence, and if the horse was unfit for work he would have it killed.— Alderman Nottage said this was one of those cases where fining was of no use, and he considered it his duty to sentence him to twenty-one days' imprisonment with hard labour.

If other magistrates would only follow Alderman Nottage's example, we should soon see a diminution in the amount of revolting cruelty to animals that is practised so generally.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I think Hutt would have enjoyed this one :

I made this video, because Heavy Horses is my personal favourite by Jethro Tull and i love its lyrics. Enjoy!! :)

Comment

Working...
            X