Private life of Det.Insp. Edmund Reid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private life of Det.Insp. Edmund Reid

Taken from The Police Review and Parade Gossip 12th June 1896, Notification of Det.Insp Edmund John James Reid recent retirement.

'Mr Reid who made many clever captures during his career, holds 50 Rewards and Commendations from Magistrates and High Commissioners of Justice. He is a Druid of Distinction, and holds the Druids Gold Medal. He also holds Gold and Bronze Medals from the Balloon Association of Great Britain for making record high ascents in a balloon known as "The Queen of the Meadow", from Crystal Palace, and he distinguished himself nearly twenty years ago by making the first descent in a parachute from a thousand feet in height, at Luton.'

This is only a snippet of what was fully reported, it seems that DI Edmund Reid was far more than just a first class police detective.

Has anyone any knowledge of DI Reid's flying history? Or any pictures of "The Queen of the Meadow" balloon?
    Lubnowski

The Weekly Dispatch of 8th March, 1896, described Reid as "the most daring balloonist of the early eighties", and Lloyd's Weekly in 1912 recorded that Reid had made 23 balloon ascents from the Crystal and Alexandra palaces during his police career. Source: The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper, by Nick Connell and Stewart P Evans. No photograph of the "Queen of the Meadow", alas, but it's a delightful book nonetheless.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Interesting that women seem to have been in the thick of the parachute business, raising heights and experiencing at least one fatality that I've seen reported.

Comment

"Interesting that women seem to have been in the thick of the parachute business..." per Robert.

There's a wonderful author here in the States, Van Reid, who sets his novels in the 1890's. One of his characters is Mrs. Roberto, the ascentionist, who parachutes from her balloon, in her "attractive suit of tights." Not to mention all that Victorian clothing.

Lubnowski,

Have you read Connell's and Evans' book on Reid? I flipped through this morning but I'm sorry to say I didn't see any pictures of him with a balloon, but maybe Stewart Evans might know of some. He is here on the Casebook from time to time. You might PM and ask, if he doesn't pop up here on your thread.

If you come across a photo, please share it with us.

Best,

Cel
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
        X