Aberline's Memoirs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberline's Memoirs

Pardon my ignorance and I hope that this hasn't been covered before but did Abberline write his memoirs and just didn't publish them or did he not write them at all? Could there be papers sitting somewhere, in someone's attic or basement, with those writings?

We may never know if something could be sitting somewhere, but apart from a fake 'Abberline Diary', no such document is known to have been written by Insp. Fred. Abberline.
    Last edited by Wickerman; 03-14-2021, 01:00 AM.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I think it is highly unlikely such a genuine thing exists. My impression of Abberline was that he had an over-riding sense of duty and respect for the role he had. He most likely had a preferred suspect, and that could have been Chapman. I doubt he would have seen any reason or desire to journal his experience in writing of the investigations. It would not have felt productive nor meaningful for him. He was not someone who appeared vain to me or cared about whether others would find his viewpoint of interest. He was committed to being a good copper and doing the best he could in his role.

I also think he may have felt a sense of responsibility for the police not having caught the ripper. That is not something he would have been proud to have written about.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

On the subject of Abberline, and with apologies to Clark for sidetracking, did that guy ever produce his book on Abberline as the ripper? Wasn’t his name something like Abad? Not that I’d waste money on it of course, just curious. I know that Lerner’s nonsense on Van Gogh never saw the light of day. What a surprise!
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

i have never heard of a theory pointing to Abberline as the Ripper. You got my mind thinking on this one but i don't see how it could be possible...Commissioner Sholmes is this a real theory?

Comment

Hi clark2710,

That strange feeling in your ankle is your leg being pulled.

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
              i have never heard of a theory pointing to Abberline as the Ripper. You got my mind thinking on this one but i don't see how it could be possible...Commissioner Sholmes is this a real theory?
              Abberline eh? "Conveniently" shows up at each crime scene? Like he knew in advance? Coincidence? I doubt it. And a Freemason. And if that can't be proved, it's because they're all shady and secretive. And after the ripper killings end, no one hears anything of Abberline again.

Has anyone checked under the floorboards of his old house? And if not, does anyone know where I can obtain a blank Victorian diary? For reference purposes.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Pardon my ignorance and I hope that this hasn't been covered before but did Abberline write his memoirs and just didn't publish them or did he not write them at all? Could there be papers sitting somewhere, in someone's attic or basement, with those writings?
                hi clark
                no memoirs but he did write extensively his views on who the ripper was in a series of articles for Pall Mall. interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi clark2710,

That strange feeling in your ankle is your leg being pulled.

Simon
                  lmao when i read it i was like WOW never heard that one b4

Comment

lmao when i read it i was like WOW never heard that one b4
                    I wasn’t joking actually. There is a guy who named Abberline as the Ripper.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I wasn’t joking actually. There is a guy who named Abberline as the Ripper.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ine-named.html
                      Hi Herlock. A bit late in the day I know but I've just read the article. The first and most obvious strike against the claim is that either that photograph wasn't taken, as claimed, in 1888, or it isn't Abberline because the individual highlighted is in uniform and it's that of a sergeant.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Hi Herlock. A bit late in the day I know but I've just read the article. The first and most obvious strike against the claim is that either that photograph wasn't taken, as claimed, in 1888, or it isn't Abberline because the individual highlighted is in uniform and it's that of a sergeant.
                        Hi Colin. It’s a bit of a stunner that he could claim that Abberline would dress in a sergeant’s uniform in 1888. I don’t know if anyone on here knows the origin of this photo and who the group of officers are though. Neil Bell might know.

You can buy the book and tell us all what you think.

Then again, i can’t see anywhere online where you can actually buy it so perhaps it’s only in Spanish. This is the only mention of it that I can find after a very brief search.

I’ll have a few sleepless nights about being unable to lay my hands on a classic like that one.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Looks like Sergeant William Thick aka Johnny Upright to me.
                          Last edited by mpriestnall; 02-08-2023, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                            Looks like Sergeant William Thick aka Johnny Upright to me.
                            Thanks. I think I've seen that photograph before with a claim that it's Abberline and I don't believe it - or the author of this (self-published?) book for that matter.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                            X