Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline's walking stick. Another twirl of:

Just a quick question:

Was Abberline the only recipient of the walking stick or did his seven other brother officers also receive the same?

I heard this from someone who I consider a reliable source. Just looking for confirmation or otherwise...

If they all received the identical walking stick, then this may argue for a gift of more symbolic meaning. Or not, as the case be.

Martyn

Not that quick then...

Comment

He had a problem with his right leg.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

He had nothing against it?

Comment

When the walking stick was on display at Bramshill Police Training College, it was accompanied by a descriptive card, which read, "Whilst the murderer was never identified, it is known that Inspector Abberline favoured the theory that the Ripper was a Dr. Alexander Pedachenko or Ostrog, an alleged Russian anarchist living in the London area at the time, and the head of the stick may well be based on his features.”"

Someone at Bramshill had been reading too much Ripper fiction.

The walking stick is currently at the National Police Library, Sunningdale Park, Berkshire.
          Last edited by Simon Wood; 07-19-2019, 04:06 PM.
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Seven officers presented it to him in 1888.

Purportedly,the head of the stick was based on Dr Alexander Pedachenko.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

*Deleted*
              Last edited by Admin; 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM. Reason: Deleted at the request of the poster

Comment

Abberline's Magnificent Seven were named in The Times, 12th November 1888—

“Since the murders in Berner Street, St. George’s, and Mitre Square, Aldgate, on September 30, Detective Inspectors Reid, Moore, Nairn [Nearn], Sergeants Thicke [sic], Godley, M’Carthy and [Albert] Pearce have been constantly engaged, under the direction of Inspector Abberline (Scotland-yard), in prosecuting inquiries, but, unfortunately, up to the present time without any practical result.”

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks Simon.

Dave C. at the Whitechapel Society told me, if I remember correctly, that all 8 eight officers received a walking stick each.

It's was suggested on other walking stick threads here on CB, the walking stick didnt depict JTR and was just an off-the-shelf gift.

My line of thought was that if all 8 officers each received the identical stick, that might argue towards the gift having some "symbolic value", whatever that might be.

Martyn

Comment

I don't believe the first part of the card's description "Whilst the murderer was never identified...".

I've stated elsewhere his identity was known to the authorities during or just after the murders.

I think we both believe the way the WMs are presented is so much BS, but for different reasons.

Martyn
                    Last edited by mpriestnall; 07-19-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                      He had nothing against it?
                      I sense a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore joke pending
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I sense a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore joke pending
                        I knew either yourself or maybe Sam would get the reference!

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                          Abberline's Magnificent Seven were named in The Times, 12th November 1888—

“Since the murders in Berner Street, St. George’s, and Mitre Square, Aldgate, on September 30, Detective Inspectors Reid, Moore, Nairn [Nearn], Sergeants Thicke [sic], Godley, M’Carthy and [Albert] Pearce have been constantly engaged, under the direction of Inspector Abberline (Scotland-yard), in prosecuting inquiries, but, unfortunately, up to the present time without any practical result.”
                          Hi Simon,

Ive wondered if that Pearce is also the Mitre square resident.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

No. That Pearce was City

DC Pearce, H Division CID

Monty
                            Attached Files
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                            X