Harry Cox Recollection: Path of Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Cox Recollection: Path of Walk

I am trying to piece together a possible walk path of when Cox shadowed a suspect from his 1906 recollection in the Thomson News.

Specifically, Cox states "not far from where the model lodging house stands he met another woman." Does anyone know what location is being referenced?

Cox's suspect was followed from his shop to Leman Street. After briefly stopping at another shop, he made his way down to St. George's in the East End, suggesting a southward trek. One could assume the "model lodging-house" was somewhere off the southern end of Leman Street, possibly on Dock Street or Well Street. I'm not aware of any model lodging houses in this vicinity, but Cox could be describing a location eastward, somewhere along Cable Street. We have to remember Cox was describing events that took place fifteen years after 1888, or 1903 (not 1906, the year of the Thompson's Weekly News), if that makes any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Cox's suspect was followed from his shop to Leman Street. After briefly stopping at another shop, he made his way down to St. George's in the East End, suggesting a southward trek. One could assume the "model lodging-house" was somewhere off the southern end of Leman Street, possibly on Dock Street or Well Street. I'm not aware of any model lodging houses in this vicinity, but Cox could be describing a location eastward, somewhere along Cable Street. We have to remember Cox was describing events that took place fifteen years after 1888, or 1903 (not 1906, the year of the Thompson's Weekly News), if that makes any difference.
      Thanks, Scott. I recently made that walk down Leman Street past the Jack the Ripper Museum ultimately to the St. George's where the old mortuary is, I was just wondering where the route went past there. Incidentally, I quite accidentally found the Pinchin Street archway walking back from St. George's.

Comment

Working...
      X