Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John G View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for this. I wonder how Dr Phillips arrived at the conclusion that Mackenzie was laying down when she was killed. Was this more speculation I wonder.
    Hi John

No, it`s all in the post mortem notes.
    Have you had a chance to read them ?

Comment

Hi Joshua

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      I would think it was more difficult for a left-handed killer, myself, but then a lot depends on how you imagine the killer and victim were positioned, how the knife was held and what sort of action was used.
      In Kelly`s case the killer undoubtedly moved the body whilst mutilating her, and changed position himself.

Is there anything to suggest MJK sustained only one wound to the throat,?
      Yes, the doctors crime scene and pm notes

or could the right carotid artery have been severed first and the wound continued all around once the initial blood flow had decreased?
      Yes, that`s what is described by the doctors.
      Last edited by Jon Guy; 04-12-2016, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
        Interesting point. However, Dr Biggs has opined that, "arterial spurting is quite uncommon in the wild. Arteries, even large ones, usually go into acute spasm when cut, providing very effective control of bleeding...Also, even if cut, the initial spray is blocked by surrounding structures such that the blood either remains inside the body or simply gushes/flows/drips out of the external skin hole rather than spurting." (Marriott, 2013)
        Hi John

Again, Dr Biggs is talking generally about arterial spurting.

Is he aware of the long, deep throat cut that these victims suffered ?
        Some blood would have escaped, if not an arterial spurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
          What does Dr Biggs specifically say about Nichols lacerated tongue, and Chapman`s swollen face and protruding tongue ?
          Hello Jon Guy.

Unless Jack the Ripper used a lightsaber, there,s issues trying to visualize a standing one-swipe decapitator. [,,jack the jedi,, ,,darth ripper,, <~ Ha! Stole your joke, DJA]. It leaves you pondering the physics required (force, fulcrum, leverage) to simply cut someone,s neck in half. Would he have had to grab her hair? He wouldn,t necessarily put pressure on the back of her neck for leverage considering he might cut a finger, would he?

If you put any worth in Schwartz, then the Stride murder might reveal something. I believe the neckerchief was used to garrotte her. I believe that he crushed her larynx with it before she ,,got away,, from him. Her silent screams for help being caused by her injured throat. I don,t know if she was thuggeed. I know they would use medallions in their scarves when they garrotted to crush the throat, and there are reports of buttons and coins being found around the bodies of the WC victims.

In addition to your mention of protruding tongues and swollen faces, there are two other pieces of possible strangulation evidence: the ecchymosis on the neck, and tge dark clotting in the heart.

I,m more leaning towards the woman being laid out before the cutting began. He would have better leverage, and he could turn her body on its side to let the blood drain out [ala Stride].
          Last edited by Robert St Devil; 04-12-2016, 06:59 AM.
          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
            Hello Jon Guy.

Unless Jack the Ripper used a lightsaber, there,s issues trying to visualize a standing one-swipe decapitator. [,,jack the jedi,, ,,darth ripper,, <~ Ha! Stole your joke, DJA]. It leaves you pondering the physics required (force, fulcrum, leverage) to simply cut someone,s neck in half. Would he have had to grab her hair? He wouldn,t necessarily put pressure on the back of her neck for leverage considering he might cut a finger, would he?
            The physics of cutting a throat from ear to ear in a single slice are incredibly difficult without having to cut deeply enough to sever the head. With requires a very fine wire. There is just no other way without chopping.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello Robert St Devil

I,m more leaning towards the woman being laid out before the cutting began. He would have better leverage, and he could turn her body on its side to let the blood drain out [ala Stride].
              In the Nichols case the killer held her head steady with his left hand (Dr Llewellyn at the inquest tells us that bruising on the lower part of the jaw on the right side could have been caused by the thumb, and the circular bruise on the left side of the face could have been caused by the fingers) and wielded the knife with his right hand.

Comment

Found this interesting description of Stride's injury from the Evening News 1st Oct, 5th edition;

"As she lies in the mortuary her dress is open over her bosoms, but her stays have not been undone. The left side of her face is much dirtied and bruised, as if she had been forcibly thrust down into the mud of the Court.

The cut in the woman's neck is not exactly as has been described by our morning contemporaries. It is not from ear to ear. The knife seems to have been stabbed in deeply at the left side to reach the external carotid, and to have emerged at the carotid on the right side. The superficial length of the wound is from three-and-a-half to four inches."

How does this compare with the doctors' descriptions?

Comment

In the Nichols case the killer held her head steady with his left hand (Dr Llewellyn at the inquest tells us that bruising on the lower part of the jaw on the right side could have been caused by the thumb, and the circular bruise on the left side of the face could have been caused by the fingers) and wielded the knife with his right hand.
                  In the Chapman case we aren`t given any info by Phillips with regard to the recent bruising around her chin. But it`s reasonable to assume that, like Nichols, her head was held steady whilst her throat was cut left to right. Has to be a right handed knife wielder.

Comment

Found this interesting description of Stride's injury from the Evening News 1st Oct, 5th edition;

"As she lies in the mortuary her dress is open over her bosoms, but her stays have not been undone. The left side of her face is much dirtied and bruised, as if she had been forcibly thrust down into the mud of the Court.

The cut in the woman's neck is not exactly as has been described by our morning contemporaries. It is not from ear to ear. The knife seems to have been stabbed in deeply at the left side to reach the external carotid, and to have emerged at the carotid on the right side. The superficial length of the wound is from three-and-a-half to four inches."

How does this compare with the doctors' descriptions?

Hi Joshua

"The incision in the neck commenced on the left side, two and one half inches below the angle of the jaw, and almost in a direct line with it, nearly severing the vessels on that side, cutting the windpipe completely in two, and terminating on the opposite side one and one half inches below the angle of the right jaw, but without severing the vessels on that side. Deceased would have bled to death comparatively slowly, on account of the vessels on one side only being severed, and the artery not being completely severed."

Steve

Comment

In the Stride case, Dr Blackwell describes his thoughts on the killers MO:

Dr Blackwell I formed the opinion that the murderer probably caught hold of the silk scarf, which was tight and knotted, and pulled the deceased backwards, cutting her throat in that way. The throat might have been cut as she was falling, or when she was on the ground. The blood would have spurted about if the act had been committed while she was standing up.
                      Coroner: Was the silk scarf tight enough to prevent her calling out? -
                      Dr Blackwell: I could not say that.
                      Coroner A hand might have been put on her nose and mouth? -
                      Dr Blackwell Yes, and the cut on the throat was probably instantaneous.

Strides position close to the wall tells us that the right hand was used to hold the knife.

Comment

In the case of Eddowes, Dr Brown stated that he believed the victim was lying on the ground when her throat was cut.
                        She had two abrasions on her left cheek and two slight abrasions under her left ear.

My guess is that the abrasions were caused by left hand fingernails whilst holding head steady.

Comment

Cheers chaps.
                          I was intrigued by the description of the knife seemingly being stabbed into, rather than drawn across, the throat. Makes it sound similar to Alice McKenzie's wounds.

Comment

Cheers chaps.
                            I was intrigued by the description of the knife seemingly being stabbed into, rather than drawn across, the throat. Makes it sound similar to Alice McKenzie's wounds.
                            Its the easiest way to kill someone, and a single stab will do it. But it requires a lot of working the knife back and forth to cut that way for any appreciable length.
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello Robert St Devil

Agreed. Bruising on her face must mean that the injury happened immediately prior to her death. Huge speculation but i,m thinking he covered her face with his left hand and made the 4 in. Incision first with the possibility that it was used to ,,bleed,, her. That, or he found that he was too close to her jaw, and readjusted for the second incision/cut.

Hard to say with her abdominal wounds. He could have stood anove her, and used each hand to make the cuts on both sides of her body. Or, he could have remained kneeling by her right side, lifted up her dress, and made the jagging cut on her left side; then made the 4 downward cuts on her right side; finishing it off by slicing across the abdomen.
                              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Agreed. Bruising on her face must mean that the injury happened immediately prior to her death. Huge speculation but i,m thinking he covered her face with his left hand and made the 4 in. Incision first with the possibility that it was used to ,,bleed,, her. That, or he found that he was too close to her jaw, and readjusted for the second incision/cut.

Hard to say with her abdominal wounds. He could have stood anove her, and used each hand to make the cuts on both sides of her body. Or, he could have remained kneeling by her right side, lifted up her dress, and made the jagging cut on her left side; then made the 4 downward cuts on her right side; finishing it off by slicing across the abdomen.
                                I think you need to picture how soldiers are trained to kill when coming up behind other soldiers in order to kill quickly and silently.

Hand across the face. knife deep into the centre of the throat and drawn across.then releasing victim to fall to the floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X