No announcement yet.

Once you have eliminated the impossible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not saying that Sir George Arthur was the killer, but he did have a passion for the theatre and acting, and the money to have various changes of clothes
    None of which was a requirement for the real killer, in my view, C4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
      None of which was a requirement for the real killer, in my view, C4.
      Hello Ben

If he did dress up to allay suspicion it would, but it is speculation, I freely admit.

Best wishes
      C4

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
        Morning GUT
        Think the Jewish hints were there well before the gsg
        Elizabeth Long's Hanbury Street description hinted as much by saying foreign appearance
        Think it was the press opinion of 'an englishman couldn't possibly do this sort of thing' helping things along
        And they're hints from the killer?
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Certain circumstances

Matthews is quoted as saying: "in the case of Kelly there were certain circumstances which were wanting in the earlier cases, and which made it mre probable that there were other persons who, at any rate after the crime, had assisted the murderer." (Scotland Yard Investigates, Evans and Rumbelow).

Is there any clue as to what those circumstances were? Could it just have been that the murder was commited indoors? Or is there something in the theory that Maxwell saw the killer dressed in Mary's clothes, and the "man in plaid" was an accomplice? Or was it that the police were of the opinion that the murderer must have been covered in Mary's blood and must have had help to escape?

Or were the "certain circumstances" something completely different? And what could it have been that was "wanting" in the other murders?

Best wishes
          C4

Comment

• It was most probably in reference to this being the only one of the killings to have taken place indoors in a room. However, by this time the police were undoubtedly getting very frustrated and must have thought 'Somebody somewhere knows something'. Maybe they were again pressing the Home Office for a large reward to be offered for information received.

Didn't Bond infer that Jack might be living with elderly, respectable relatives, in his report which Anderson commissioned ? Perhaps the police had got hold of some information now lost to us, about a suspect in that sort of accommodation. It might have been thought that such relatives may have seen the killer come home early that morning somewhat bloodstained and bedraggled and, while desperately worried, kept their mouths closed, mouths that might be opened by police questioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
              Was Jtr some sort of superman who could see in the dark, disappear at will, move at lightening speed? If you don't believe this, and all the myths and legends which have sprung up around him, then the only logical conclusion must be that he must have had help. Someone who could provide him with light, keep a lookout and perhaps even provide him with victims.
              I am of the opinion that the Ripper's ability to avoid detection and appear to be invisible as such has come out of the in-depth knowledge he had of the area he operated in. They City of London is a rather beautiful place now with many of the old alleyways of the 1800's still in use. Very quick and convenient rat runs to get across the city without having to follow the main roads.

I can only imagine what these rat runs and alleys would be like around the end of the 1880's, probably very dark and very quiet in the early hours of the morning with many places where an individual could stand only inches away from someone passing and not be detected.

Maybe this is a contributing factor as to how the Ripper managed to fade into the background of Whitechapel and remain undetected when he was prowling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Majic View Post
                I am of the opinion that the Ripper's ability to avoid detection and appear to be invisible as such has come out of the in-depth knowledge he had of the area he operated in. They City of London is a rather beautiful place now with many of the old alleyways of the 1800's still in use. Very quick and convenient rat runs to get across the city without having to follow the main roads.

I can only imagine what these rat runs and alleys would be like around the end of the 1880's, probably very dark and very quiet in the early hours of the morning with many places where an individual could stand only inches away from someone passing and not be detected.

Maybe this is a contributing factor as to how the Ripper managed to fade into the background of Whitechapel and remain undetected when he was prowling?
                Hello Majic

I think you are correct, he definitely knew the area well and took advantage of the darkness. There were people around 24 hours a day, so I think he must have been someone who fitted in and didn't seem a threat.

Best wishes
                C4

Comment

• C4, i agree with your line of thinking. Its not that i think that Leather Apron couldnt have murdered on his own. He was a slasher by nature. Its that i dont think he could have murdered in this way, in public & under 15 minutes on his own. Im open to the idea of an accomplice because I wonder about the light aspect too. In some reports it is so dark that none of these people can see below armpit level apparently; in other reports, its bright as day. I dont remember night vision goggles in 1888. So yea! I could see someone holding a lantern. (We carried flashlights in the military. We could switch out the clear lens for a red lens for night operations. It wasnt so bright that an enemy could detect you, but it still gave you some illumination. How would it be if Leather Apron did the same thing using a blood-stained lens on a bullseye lantern).
                  As for the accomplice id be unbiased. In this case an accomplice could be a woman. Not Bonnie & Clyde, more partners - pimp & prostitute or likewise. Afterall, what would the accomplice really need to do. Keep lookout. Hold a lantern. Help position the body. If its a woman and all the police are looking for a man, then shed be ideal to conceal items. Or maybe he slices the neck and the accomplice cuts the body. 2 different knives.
                  An accomplice better explains the efficiency of the murders.
                  there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• At least one of the locations was described by a reporter as 'as dull and lonely a spot as an be found anywhere in London'. Mitre Square was black away from the dim glow of the two lights and virtually uninhabited.

It was mere chance that Lawende and the others were coming out of the Imperial Club that rainy night and saw a couple standing near the entrance. And it was the same in Bucks Row in the early hours, dark, gloomy, nobody except the beat policeman about.

So long as an ear was kept out for the patrolling police the Ripper was safe in both these locations. With the others, especially Hanbury St and Dutfield's Yard, it was much more risky. However, if Jack kept his nerve and his eyes and ears open he was safe. There would be no need IMO for an accomplice who posed his/her own risk to his safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                      At least one of the locations was described by a reporter as 'as dull and lonely a spot as an be found anywhere in London'. Mitre Square was black away from the dim glow of the two lights and virtually uninhabited.

It was mere chance that Lawende and the others were coming out of the Imperial Club that rainy night and saw a couple standing near the entrance. And it was the same in Bucks Row in the early hours, dark, gloomy, nobody except the beat policeman about.

So long as an ear was kept out for the patrolling police the Ripper was safe in both these locations. With the others, especially Hanbury St and Dutfield's Yard, it was much more risky. However, if Jack kept his nerve and his eyes and ears open he was safe. There would be no need IMO for an accomplice who posed his/her own risk to his safety.
                      Hi Rosella
                      How do you explain kidney removal in the darkest corner of mitre square on an overcast,drizzly night,presumably no moon light,without an accomplice with light?
                      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                        C4, i agree with your line of thinking. Its not that i think that Leather Apron couldnt have murdered on his own. He was a slasher by nature. Its that i dont think he could have murdered in this way, in public & under 15 minutes on his own. Im open to the idea of an accomplice because I wonder about the light aspect too. In some reports it is so dark that none of these people can see below armpit level apparently; in other reports, its bright as day. I dont remember night vision goggles in 1888. So yea! I could see someone holding a lantern. (We carried flashlights in the military. We could switch out the clear lens for a red lens for night operations. It wasnt so bright that an enemy could detect you, but it still gave you some illumination. How would it be if Leather Apron did the same thing using a blood-stained lens on a bullseye lantern).
                        As for the accomplice id be unbiased. In this case an accomplice could be a woman. Not Bonnie & Clyde, more partners - pimp & prostitute or likewise. Afterall, what would the accomplice really need to do. Keep lookout. Hold a lantern. Help position the body. If its a woman and all the police are looking for a man, then shed be ideal to conceal items. Or maybe he slices the neck and the accomplice cuts the body. 2 different knives.
                        An accomplice better explains the efficiency of the murders.
                        Hello Robert

Yes, it did seem to have been extremely dark. Diemschutz, for example, had to light a match to see what it was that had startled his horse.

Of course there is always the man with the glow worm eyes, nice legend but not perhaps evidence of someone who could see in the dark.

Best wishes
                        C4

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                          Its not that i think that Leather Apron couldnt have murdered on his own. He was a slasher by nature.
                          Prolly worth finding out the facts.

You clearly have no idea.
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• I don't believe the killer had assistance in his enterprise in the form of an accomplice. This possibility strikes me as very unlikely, but of course it still remains a possibility nonetheless but personally I see no evidence to conclude that Jack was a two person team.

Thanks,
                            Sleuth

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post

Yes, it did seem to have been extremely dark. Diemschutz, for example, had to light a match to see what it was that had startled his horse.
                              So perhaps the killer was not interrupted, he just realized,...." it's too damn dark 'ere, a guy could lose a finger!"
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• I think i get what youre saying, DJA. And yea, it was a tough idea to form into a sentence. I guessed that much when i wrote it. Ok, take 2.

I believe Leather Apron could murder on his own. He was a slasher by nature. Its that...
                                Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-30-2015, 06:16 PM.
                                there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Working...
                                X