Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why weren't there any killings in October 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, Simon, you've lost me....unless you commented on this in some other thread and I missed it. If Anderson wasn't in Switzerland for the first part of his rest cure, where do you think he was?

Good boy, Barnaby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      The fact that he didn't - or appears not to have - speaks volumes about where he was most likely based. There were plenty of alcoholic streetwalkers in slum areas elsewhere in London - some quite nearby to Whitechapel, where the police presence would not have been so high.

For example - Stepney/Poplar, Southwark and Holborn were all within around 2 miles of Whitechapel/Spitalfields, and each had a comparable (if not greater) number of streetwalkers. Lambeth, Covent Garden and Westminster weren't all that far away either (between 3 and 4 miles), and these too would have had potential victims aplenty.
      Three miles back then was still an easy walk. Jack aside, in general, were the people born and raised in Whitechapel that isolated from surrounding sections of town? If so, why? It's not like some of these places were for the rich elite. Plenty of poor workers living there.

If people did travel freely to and from these sections of London, then I do believe it is odd that Jack took the heat by remaining in Whitechapel when there was fertile ground 30 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        Sorry, Simon, you've lost me....unless you commented on this in some other thread and I missed it. If Anderson wasn't in Switzerland for the first part of his rest cure, where do you think he was?
        Hi Grave Maurice,
        for sure, Canadian sense of humour do surpass all.

Amitiés mon cher,
        David

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
          Three miles back then was still an easy walk.
          Why walk three miles, when you can walk a third of a mile and scuttle back to safety?

Apologies for being off-topic.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi GM,

Anderson was probably in Paris enjoying the déjeuner au choix at Scossa's in the company of M Bourdier and Mme Mongruet, the two French detectives Scotland Yard was retaining at £80 per month.

Regards,

Simon
            Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM. Reason: Spolling
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi GM,

Anderson was probably in Paris enjoying the déjeuner au choix at Scossa's in the company of M Bourdier and Mme Mongruet, the two French detectives Scotland Yard was retaining at £80 per month.

Regards,

Simon
              Simon, I dont recall but maybe you would.....was the arrest of the man they believed was the organizer of the Balfour assassination Plot in Paris, or in Switzerland somewhere? Interesting that Vasilev was mentioned as early as pre-Double Event as well.

"Grey" Paris?

All the best Simon.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Some time back, Wolf Vanderlinden posted that, according to author Andrew Cook, the following was cabled to the British Ambassador in France:

"Private and Most secret. Home Office have information that plot to assassinate Mr. Balfour and others is being prepared by the notorious J. P. Walsh who is living under assumed name in Paris at the Hotel d’Industrie 31 Rue Dunkerque. He should be followed. Home Office have agent in Paris who will call at Embassy place himself at Your Excellency’s disposal. Further particulars by next messenger."

I think this was before Anderson's trip. Also, I would like to see the provenance for this telegram as I can find no Hotel d’Industrie at 31 Rue Dunkerque in Baedeker or other Paris guides of the time.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Id like to add to my post on this subject which I stupidly put on the wrong(between liz and Eddowes) thread.I wondered if JTR was in service.Many of my East End family were at the time and would meet up at home fortnightly on their days off or on holidays ie Bank Hols ect. I wondered if JTRs kills may fit this pattern. I aslo wondered if his killing spree might roughly follow the Game season, starting just before the glorious 12th and ending at the end of the deer season which occupies october(which may explain his absence 'up country' during this period.) Just a theory, but I wondered if he was involved in the preparation of Game which is very knife skilled and progressively bloody, and was mirroring this in his 'hunting' for human prey. Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

I thought one reason for the gap would be the increased presence on the streets of police and patrolling pairs from the vigilance committee. Hence the Mary Kelly murder taking place indoors. He waited until he could do it under cover.

I would view the fog as being beneficial to the killer unless he was travelling a distance to get to Whitechapel and Spitalfields. That's the only situation when I can see it being off-putting.

That was my feeling about it. I don't accept that Mary Kelly was killed by someone else, because its unlikely that a first time killer would do as much mutilating, or anyone doing a copycat killing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Hi Michael,

Some time back, Wolf Vanderlinden posted that, according to author Andrew Cook, the following was cabled to the British Ambassador in France:

"Private and Most secret. Home Office have information that plot to assassinate Mr. Balfour and others is being prepared by the notorious J. P. Walsh who is living under assumed name in Paris at the Hotel d’Industrie 31 Rue Dunkerque. He should be followed. Home Office have agent in Paris who will call at Embassy place himself at Your Excellency’s disposal. Further particulars by next messenger."

I think this was before Anderson's trip. Also, I would like to see the provenance for this telegram as I can find no Hotel d’Industrie at 31 Rue Dunkerque in Baedeker or other Paris guides of the time.

Regards,

Simon
                      Hi Simon,
                      I'm afraid you should have more than that to prove that Anderson wasn't in Switzerland.

Amitiés mon cher,
                      David

ps: since you were serious, apologies to you, Grave Maurice, Canada, Western Canada, and Robert Charlebois.

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonH View Post
                        I thought one reason for the gap would be the increased presence on the streets of police and patrolling pairs from the vigilance committee. Hence the Mary Kelly murder taking place indoors. He waited until he could do it under cover.

That was my feeling about it. I don't accept that Mary Kelly was killed by someone else, because its unlikely that a first time killer would do as much mutilating, or anyone doing a copycat killing.
                        Exactly my thoughts too. Though I'm not sure he necessarily set out to kill anyone indoors, I think he was just lucky that Mary Kelly had her own little gaff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastender View Post
                          I wondered if JTR was in service. Many of my East End family were at the time [...] I also wondered if his killing spree might roughly follow the Game season...
                          Hi Eastender,

Welcome to the discussion. Good to hear from someone whose family is from the area. Away hunting? Haven't thought of that, but we're always ready for new ideas. By in service do you mean the military?

Roy
                          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Michael,

Regards,

Simon
                            Simon you're a peach, thanks for that. I believe what piques at least your and my curiosity about certain events and timings is the most obvious supposition that some high ranking officers on the Ripper cases were also working large cases in other areas simultaneously...some might even say more important ones.

We have a plethora of Fenian Fighters in the ranks...thats for sure.

Thanks Simon, hope you had a great Easter.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Hello Roy,
                              No, by in service I meant domestic,servants.

Comment

I can find no Hotel d’Industrie at 31 Rue Dunkerque in Baedeker or other Paris guides of the time.
                                Not quite Rue de Dunkerque, Simon, but the Hotel d'Industrie does appear to have existed somewhere near the Champs Elysee:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	656789

From the New York Times, September 1858.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X