Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why weren't there any killings in October 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Indeed so, Caz. To extend your "ceased trading" analogy, I'd add that he might well have experienced periods of "slow trade", too.
    Or periods of little need for trade, Gareth.
    "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
    Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

This was not Jack's Itinerary!

I seem to be out of step here.............

Most of the posts I have read appear to suggest that Jack chose the time and the place. Even if he was on the prowl nightly, he couldn't guarantee that a lone victim would be in the right place, at the right time, without any witnesses nearby.

I have been convinced all along that the victims inadvertently chose the time and place of their death, simply by being on the street, at the right time and out of view of witnesses that could identify Jack to the police.

I feel that their customers worked long hours during the week and it was only at the week-ends,that the majority would be looking for a bit of fun. There were more punters on the week-ends, so there were more girls, so there were more opportunities.

Regards

Eileen
      Last edited by Mrsperfect; 08-08-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Eileen,
        Originally posted by Mrsperfect View Post
        I have been convinced all along that the victims inadvertently chose the time and place of their death
        Whether that was the case or not, Jack also had to be out and about at those times, so the sorts of questions asked here remain valid.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hello,all.

I've always been partial to the rather macabre theory that Jack had good nights and he had bad nights.

Police presence was increased in the area and the ladies of the night had to be scared to death.Add the local vigilantes prowling about and October made for a rough month for JTR. His preferred victims probably caused the most trouble.They were on their guard and none too partial to sneaking off to deserted places. Maybe Jack experienced a drought of sorts or he did indeed try. He might have encountered some particularly tough ladies who gave him hell and he was unable to do what he wanted. Possibly there were failed JTR attacks that were never reported. Jack was a wee bit pissed off,I think.

Maybe that reason accounts for why he attacked MK so ferociously. A whole month of pent up rage and having been denied his fun came together on that poor lady.
          Last edited by Nicola; 08-09-2008, 05:41 AM.
          I am quite mad and there's nothing to be done for it.

When your first voice speaks,listen to it. It may save your life one day.

Comment

Broken knife

Perhaps Jack broke his knife at Mitre Square. He could not buy a new one so close to the time of his last murder, it could raise suspicion. So he waited before getting a new one.

Comment

Wether he lost his shoes when escaping...

Comment

Hi All,

As Robert Anderson observed, the "Jack" scare was in full swing by October. Thanks to the police plastering London with "Dear Boss/Saucy Jacky" posters—a tactical blunder which prompted every nutbag in the country to write "Jack" letters—there was no need for another murder.

"Jack" had made his point.

Which makes me wonder what Millers Court was really about.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  As Robert Anderson observed, the "Jack" scare was in full swing by October. Thanks to the police plastering London with "Dear Boss/Saucy Jacky" posters—a tactical blunder which prompted every nutbag in the country to write "Jack" letters—there was no need for another murder.
                  Seems a rather extreme way to go about winding up the police or getting your name in print, Simon.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

"Jack" had made his point.

Which makes me wonder what Millers Court was really about.
                    Jack didn't really keep up with or necessarily care about past events at this point. Miller's Court was Miller's Court to Jack. Nothing more.

Comment

Hi Fisherman,
                      there is a gap of one week between Nichols' murder and Chapman's, and 3 weeks between the latter and the double event.
                      I have to disagree there based on one possible scenario: the fact that Susan Ward was attacked one week after Chapman (if you accept that she could have been an intended victim of Jack) If so, it would certainly start some form of pattern. Chapman a week after Nichols, and Ward a week after Chapman. The gap between Ward's attack and the double event could be due to fear, because of the possibility of capture when the Ward attack whent wrong and her screams drew attention. And also if you believe Jack murdered both Stride and Eddowes, it could be suggested that he killed twice to make up for failing to murder Ward (personally I don't think he killed Stride though)
                      Best regards,
                      Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Hey AP,

Sorry to put pay to the Ward idea but the excellent Debs Arif found this in a Lloyds Weekly dated 16th September 1888....

Yesterday Susan Ward, aged 64, a labourer's wife, of Nicholas-road, Old Bethnal Green Rd. was admitted to the London Hospital with a dangerous lacerated wound on the arm, through falling on a broken bottle which she let fall

The original 'find' of Susan Ward was by Stephen Willments. He spotted a report of a cut throat attack on a woman in the Daily Telegraph dated 3rd October 1888 in which it was stated the woman was taken to hospital. Stephen searched the Royal London Hospital records (figuring that she was taken to the nearest hospital) and found the only possible 'victim' with matching injuries....Ward. The Telegraph report reads...

...An alarming story was told to a detective yesterday, and it is understood that the Metropolitan police have for some time been cognisant of its details. If this statement be true, and there appears to be no reason to question it, then some time between the date of the Hanbury-street murder and last Sunday the bloodthirsty maniac who is now terrifying Whitechapel unsuccessfully attempted another outrage. The woman who so narrowly escaped death is married, but she admits having entered into conversation with a strange man for an immoral purpose. She alleges that he tripped her up, so that she fell upon the pavement. He made an effort to cut her throat, but she shielded herself with her arm, and in so doing received a cut upon it. Alarmed by his failure, and fearing her shrieks, the would-be murderer ran off, and the woman, when discovered, was removed to the hospital. She has since been discharged, and the wound upon the arm is still to be seen. The occurrence is alleged to have taken place ten days ago, in a bye-turning off Commercial-street. Unfortunately the woman was so much in liquor when she was assaulted that she cannot recollect the man's face or dress, and has been unable to give a description of him, which may account for the secrecy which has been maintained in regard to the attack.

Also, and I think, the A-Z (or Stephen himself) tied in a MEPO report (3/140 folio 63) to this attack. However, Rob Clack has found this to be an erronous connection to ward, the date of the report being 11th September 1889. Not only that but the report does give a womans name of Bisney (not Ward) and mentions she was taken to the Whitechapel Imfirmary not the Royal london.

Here is the report.

METROPOLITAN POLICE.
                        H Division,
                        11th September, 1889

Enquiries re murdered
                        remains of woman.

I beg to report having made enquiries re. Reporters met by men in Back Church Lane, on the morning of 8th. inst.

I find that the occurrence has been reported in the “New York Herald” by the reporter who met me, and that a copy of above paper is in the hands of Inspr. Moore, C.LD.

At 12:15 a.m. 8th. P.C. 394H Millard found a woman named Ellen Bisney of 219 Brunswick Building, Whitechapel in the High Street, and conveyed her on an ambulance to the Whitechapel Infirmary, this may have been observed by the person who gave the information to Newspaper Office, and who for the purpose of reward exaggerated the case.

I beg to ask that enquiry may be made by C. I .Department for the purpose of finding this man.

F. Pattenden Inspr.
                        T Arnold Sup

Maybe we should be looking at Bisney.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Maybe we should be looking at Bisney.

Monty
                          Monty,
                          Just going from memory, Bisney's admittance to the Whitechapel Infirmary was due to an epileptic episode, I have checked the admittance registers and it was definitely not violence related anyway. I think the incident was reported in a couple of papers but I haven't got them to hand at the moment.

Debs

Comment

Debs,

Well, thats Bisney sorted....next !

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

I still think that Telegraph story of 3 Oct may be based on the Spitalfileds Market attack and the blind bootlace seller!

Comment

....funny you should say that !

Monty
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X