The FBI Profile of Jack the Ripper & it's usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    All I can say John is IF the premise you and others adhere to, (That these 5 murders are serial in nature), is someday validated by a single piece of evidence, then Ill be happy to congratulate you.

As it is we have only what we have, and if we refrain from drawing conclusions as to why a single killer changed and suddenly did this or that, we have unconnected murders aside from the geography,.. using the physical and circumstantial evidence as our guidelines.

My perspective is that I don't assume anything about these murders, including assuming that what was said by many contemporary investigators should considered as fact. Knowing as we do that almost all of the senior investigators in the Whitechapel murders were in the midst of potentially being outed themselves due to the Parnell Commission, what they say about the murders may well be disinformation that they were so familiar with.

We have opinions John, not evidence of, any serial killings in Whitechapel in 1888. Im inclined to assign 2 "Ripper" murders to one unknown assailant myself, with an open mind about more should some kind of as yet undiscovered proof warrant expanding that count.

Cheers

Cheers
    How many killers in London were taking uterus from people (the torso killer also?)...

Comment

• Serial Killers

The Ipswich serial murders took place between 30 October and 10 December 2006 when the bodies of five murdered women were discovered at different locations near Ipswich, Suffolk, England
      I remember this hitting the UK news. Like the Ripper Murders it only lasted a couple of months (in his case he was caught) The police and everybody was immediately of the opinion this was one serial killer. I am sure it would have been the same in 1888.

Pat.....................................

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        All I can say John is IF the premise you and others adhere to, (That these 5 murders are serial in nature), is someday validated by a single piece of evidence, then Ill be happy to congratulate you.

As it is we have only what we have, and if we refrain from drawing conclusions as to why a single killer changed and suddenly did this or that, we have unconnected murders aside from the geography,.. using the physical and circumstantial evidence as our guidelines.

My perspective is that I don't assume anything about these murders, including assuming that what was said by many contemporary investigators should considered as fact. Knowing as we do that almost all of the senior investigators in the Whitechapel murders were in the midst of potentially being outed themselves due to the Parnell Commission, what they say about the murders may well be disinformation that they were so familiar with.

We have opinions John, not evidence of, any serial killings in Whitechapel in 1888. Im inclined to assign 2 "Ripper" murders to one unknown assailant myself, with an open mind about more should some kind of as yet undiscovered proof warrant expanding that count.

Cheers

Cheers
        A classic case of how the facts can be misleading to all is that of Richard Ramirez The Los Angeles Night stalker. At the time of the murders the police thought they may have two different killers that were active at the same time.

Ramirez was entering houses in the dead of night armed with a gun and a knife. Some of the victims he was stabbing others shooting. Some women he let live others he killed.

Now if he hadn't been caught and we were looking at those crimes in the same way we are looking at the ripper crimes would we have automatically thought the same as the police?

Now if there had been two serial killers operating separately and they had not been caught and we were now looking at the murders would we have thought that there were in fact two operating separatrelygiven the MO of both?

With the Ripper murders there are significant differences with some of the murders to suggest that they were not all killed by the same hand.

Now I wonder why team Lechmmeres expert Andy Griffiths could not see this if he was given access to "all" the files. Perhaps he was and perhaps he stated this, and perhaps his comments finished up on the cutting room floor like most of Scobies contribution

I also note and re iterate, that he only states that given what he was provided with Cross was nothing more than a person of interest putting him the same category of many other persons of interest previously discussed, and not in the category of likely or prime suspect !

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          A classic case of how the facts can be misleading to all is that of Richard Ramirez The Los Angeles Night stalker. At the time of the murders the police thought they may have two different killers that were active at the same time.

Ramirez was entering houses in the dead of night armed with a gun and a knife. Some of the victims he was stabbing others shooting. Some women he let live others he killed.

Now if he hadn't been caught and we were looking at those crimes in the same way we are looking at the ripper crimes would we have automatically thought the same as the police?

[/url]
          Quite possibly we might, but the police still believed they were dealing with serial killers. It wasn't as if they thought none of the the murders had a connection. Secondly Jack's MO/signature is quite a bit more shall we say "distinct" than was Ramirez'.

Comment

• If anyone has read Crimes That Still Haunts Us by Douglas it would be worth noting that he got it wrong with DeSalvo who he believed was innocent. Since then DNA confirmed it was DeSalvo.
            Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              I think the FBI profile may give us a rough idea of what Jack the Ripper was like. And I'd expect Jack to largely match up with the FBI's profile. I also subscribe to the single killer hypothesis although I believe the Torso Killer was operating in London at the same time as Jack.
              Re the torso killings-- could they have been the work of a criminal gang, and not an individual?

Pat D.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Re the torso killings-- could they have been the work of a criminal gang, and not an individual?

Pat D.
                I suppose they could have been the work of a criminal gang. Although if you consider all the Torso Killings those from 1873,1874, 1884 and then 1887-1889 to be the by the same hand/hands, then why the gaps, I'd expect a gang to continue murdering.

Cheers John

Comment

I suppose they could have been the work of a criminal gang. Although if you consider all the Torso Killings those from 1873,1874, 1884 and then 1887-1889 to be the by the same hand/hands, then why the gaps, I'd expect a gang to continue murdering.

Cheers John
                  The Torso killings have me totally befuddled....As John said, why the gaps? It's bizarre. It totally perplexes me that we could have two separate serial killers working in London during this period when crimes of this type were rare.

Paul
                  I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Comment

Cheers John
                    Perhaps the leader who actually did the killings was incarcerated.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                      Perhaps the leader who actually did the killings was incarcerated.
                      So it just disbanded?

I suppose that's possible if the leader had something over the rest of them which then completely evaporated when he was imprisoned.

It begs the question as to what the followers did afterward.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnote View Post
                        So it just disbanded?

I suppose that's possible if the leader had something over the rest of them which then completely evaporated when he was imprisoned.

It begs the question as to what the followers did afterward.
                        yes it doesnt really ad up. It would be more likely the 70's murders were committed by an individual who perhaps involved others in the ripper/torso murders once they started up

Comment

• The FBI profile suggests JtR killed on days when he was off work.

The Lechmere thread's OP suggests that JtR killed on work days (i.e - they are random days with Lechmere's daily/nightly walk to and from work).

This sat wrong with me because everything I have read on the case to date suggests that we have a clue about JtRs work habits from the evidence and that the killings are not done on random days. My reference is in the link above, post at the top of the screen.
                          Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Kong View Post
                            Hey all,
                            Wanted to get your thoughts about what you think about the FBI profile of Jack the Ripper written by FBI Agent/Profiler John E. Douglas. What do you think we can derive from it? How can we use it as a tool in our search for the Ripper?
                            I know there are things in there which some may poo poo and some who think profiling is useless. But I would add FBI profilers were instrumental in helping Kansas police to catch Dennis Rader, known as the BTK Killer.

Here is the link for the FBI "Jack the Ripper" profile:

-Paul
                            I believe this profile to be fairly accurate. However, I don't think the killer posses anatomical knowledge. I believe it was more slash and grab. I would attribute at least seven murders to "Jack the Ripper." Starting with a dry-run, in which he renders a woman unconscious, but leaves her alive. His next attack results in the death of a woman who may have been a prostitute.

He may have simply slit her throat because he is getting comfortable. These two attacks have emboldened him for the Tabram murder. It was brutal, and only the beginning.

Comment

• Hi, Syclone, welcome to the Forum.
                              Profiling has its place, of course. Unfortunately because we know so little of who Jack was, almost certainly white, male, probably late 20's, probably single, we and the FBi have to venture into speculation quite a bit, especially when dealing with his family background. Jack's possible ethnicity has received a lot of attention around here, too!

Which seven killings do you attribute to him?

Comment

• Welcome syclone

Which 7.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X